MSC vs NCL

bigalex72

Based on the 5 cruises with MSC and 2 cruises on the NCL:

Shows:

MSC is an absolute winner - all the shows are spectacular!

NCL shows look high school- level amateur

Buffet:

MSC - sufficient, but not elaborate

NCL - sometimes is even better quality comparing to the main dining room. Excellent!

MSC - needs an immediate upgrade, especially the self- booking portion.

NCL - excellent, intuitive, inclusive

Ship

MSC - extremely well maintained, sparkling clean, very modern

NCL - well maintained. more classic

Room and bed

MSC - pillows and bedding feels cheap. Pillows are extremely uncomfortable, even in the suites (not YC)

NCL - excellent bedding, nice pillows. That was a single biggest differnce for us.

Kids clubs:

both were good

Food

MSC - we enjoyed themed nights, and most of the main courses. Salads were consistently not very good. Deserts were great!

NCL - excellent food. A bit more calories though.

Service

Quoting my spouse: it feels that on the NCL same high quality service is being provided, but with much less effort. Clearly, employees looked happier. On the MSC we frequently saw officers using more "sticks" then "carrots"...

Overall, the experience is comparable - the price is king!

Based on the 5 cruises with MSC and 2 cruises on the NCL:

Shows:

MSC is an absolute winner - all the shows are spectacular!

NCL shows look high school- level amateur

Buffet:

MSC - sufficient, but not elaborate

NCL - sometimes is even better quality comparing to the main dining room. Excellent!

MSC - needs an immediate upgrade, especially the self- booking portion.

NCL - excellent, intuitive, inclusive

Ship

MSC - extremely well maintained, sparkling clean, very modern

NCL - well maintained. more classic

Room and bed

MSC - pillows and bedding feels cheap. Pillows are extremely uncomfortable, even in the suites (not YC)

NCL - excellent bedding, nice pillows. That was a single biggest differnce for us.

Kids clubs:

both were good

Food

MSC - we enjoyed themed nights, and most of the main courses. Salads were consistently not very good. Deserts were great!

NCL - excellent food. A bit more calories though.

Service

Quoting my spouse: it feels that on the NCL same high quality service is being provided, but with much less effort. Clearly, employees looked happier. On the MSC we frequently saw officers using more "sticks" then "carrots"...

Overall, the experience is comparable - the price is king!

I only had 1 NCL cruise and I will never try them again ,even for free . :p

We're just off MSC Preziosa and, if prices were equal, we would choose NCL,though we've only sailed on Epic with NCL. The food on MSC is not as good, although there are many courses so you can always get something satisfying. Entertainment on MSC, though spectacular and skillful, became repetitive, I.e. different theme, same dance moves and acrobatics. On Epic, we enjoyed Blue Man Group and Howl at the Moon. Shows on MSC were short at 35 minutes, so it was not a chore in any event.

The drinks package would be the clincher for us. The Allegrissimo on MSC is terrific value. If an NCL or RCCI cruise came in at a similar price, including drinks, MSC would be 3rd pick.

Funny, the one we went on (3 days) for a trial basis convinced us to do a 7 day one next April. The suite life (non Haven) was great. The price was very doable.

Even a bad free cruise sounds good to me on any line....:)

Edited by FireEater

We're just off MSC Preziosa and, if prices were equal, we would choose NCL,though we've only sailed on Epic with NCL. The food on MSC is not as good, although there are many courses so you can always get something satisfying. Entertainment on MSC, though spectacular and skillful, became repetitive, I.e. different theme, same dance moves and acrobatics. On Epic, we enjoyed Blue Man Group and Howl at the Moon. Shows on MSC were short at 35 minutes, so it was not a chore in any event.

The drinks package would be the clincher for us. The Allegrissimo on MSC is terrific value. If an NCL or RCCI cruise came in at a similar price, including drinks, MSC would be 3rd pick.

Hi - we are sailing on Preziosa on 11th October from Venice. Excited as the time draws closer, despite the mixed reviews. I posted on another thread here that I called today to upgrade to a B2 from a B1 - Cruisetrail's thread wasn't around when we booked last year unfortunately, but seeing the comparison pictures was a shock and I wouldn't be happy on a B1 on the hump with the lack of settee.

Do you mind me asking what type of cabin you traveled in? Also, can you advise on disembarkation times at Venice on return, as we have a tight flight and would like to be off the ship no later than 0930 - is this achievable if we dock at 8 as planned?

We are Platinum NCL members so that is what we like and are used to - although open minded about trying a different line! With all of our NCL balcony cabins there was always a seating area between the bed and balcony so that is what we expected from the B1.

Any other thoughts you have would be well received and appreciated. :)

Do you mind me asking what type of cabin you traveled in? Also, can you advise on disembarkation times at Venice on return, as we have a tight flight and would like to be off the ship no later than 0930 - is this achievable if we dock at 8 as planned?

We are Platinum NCL members so that is what we like and are used to - although open minded about trying a different line! With all of our NCL balcony cabins there was always a seating area between the bed and balcony so that is what we expected from the B1.

Any other thoughts you have would be well received and appreciated. :)

Hi. We stayed in a B2 on deck 11, forward on port side. Port side gets most Sun on the sea day. Plus you can enjoy the sailaway from Venice from your balcony. There is a comfortable two seater setee between bed and balcony.

Disembarkation was easy. We had 11.45 flight, via MSC, so our assembly time was 9.15 and we were led off the ship promptly at that time. Luggage was easily retrieved and we queued for the coach. Left at 9.50 and were at the airport at 10.05. As always, Marco Polo airport was bus but we checked in and were through security with loads of time to spare.

Preziosa was beautiful and we loved Istanbul and Dubrovnik. If you both drink, the Allegrissimo is great value. Only drawback was that the food is not as good as NCL or RCCI but food is very subjective, so YMMV! Any other questions? The staff very friendly, bar one!

Edited by CruiseIreland
spelling

Might be a good idea to keep your luggage and take it off the ship yourself. In April when we left Preziosa there were lots of people worried about fights due to their luggage not being off the ship when expected.

I had to laugh at your post, goldenbonny... My sister and I took one cruise on NCL, and decided unless it was COMPLETELY FREE we would never even consider sailing with them again, and that was nearly 10 years ago...

Hi. We stayed in a B2 on deck 11, forward on port side. Port side gets most Sun on the sea day. Plus you can enjoy the sailaway from Venice from your balcony. There is a comfortable two seater setee between bed and balcony.

Disembarkation was easy. We had 11.45 flight, via MSC, so our assembly time was 9.15 and we were led off the ship promptly at that time. Luggage was easily retrieved and we queued for the coach. Left at 9.50 and were at the airport at 10.05. As always, Marco Polo airport was bus but we checked in and were through security with loads of time to spare.

Preziosa was beautiful and we loved Istanbul and Dubrovnik. If you both drink, the Allegrissimo is great value. Only drawback was that the food is not as good as NCL or RCCI but food is very subjective, so YMMV! Any other questions? The staff very friendly, bar one!

We found the the overall food quality on the MSC Divina better then on NCL Getaway, and even the RCL Allure on past cruises! There was always something decent to eat on all 3, so it really is nitpicking! We liked the Getaway's larger choice of specialty restaurants, and the ability to eat when you want, but if you chose a popular time, you will wait a little!

If you don't smoke, the Divina is 'far less smelly of smoke' then the other 2!:D

The Drink pkges. on the Divina are less expensive then what the other 2 offer, and when added to the money saved by choosing the Divina over the other 2, (their cabin prices are usualy higher) you save a lot of money on Divina to spend on excursions, purchases, etc. which can also add to a cruise's enjoyment!

You are right, food, shows, and what you look for to make you happy with a cruise are all subjective!

As others on this thread have said, if you compare the same size ships, if you have the same loyalty club benefits, and you compare the same cabin, then its really comes down to all the personal subjective things you desire in a cruise, and the PRICE!:D

We've never had a bad cruise, just some better then others!:D

We found the the overall food quality on the MSC Divina better then on NCL Getaway, and even the RCL Allure on past cruises! There was always something decent to eat on all 3, so it really is nitpicking! We liked the Getaway's larger choice of specialty restaurants, and the ability to eat when you want, but if you chose a popular time, you will wait a little!

If you don't smoke, the Divina is 'far less smelly of smoke' then the other 2!:D

The Drink pkges. on the Divina are less expensive then what the other 2 offer, and when added to the money saved by choosing the Divina over the other 2, (their cabin prices are usualy higher) you save a lot of money on Divina to spend on excursions, purchases, etc. which can also add to a cruise's enjoyment!

You are right, food, shows, and what you look for to make you happy with a cruise are all subjective!

As others on this thread have said, if you compare the same size ships, if you have the same loyalty club benefits, and you compare the same cabin, then its really comes down to all the personal subjective things you desire in a cruise, and the PRICE!:D

We've never had a bad cruise, just some better then others!:D

Totally agree with you. Value wise, this was a great cruise. I suspect that food/menu on Divina has been altered for the US market. Food was never 'bad' but I think it was better on Epic. Based on price, MSC was fantastic value and, price aside, it was a great cruise! Ken

Thanks very much, just had a chance to read the thread just now.

We are now 12239 B2, I know there's the overhang, but the extra space is so worth it. That's moving from 10176, a tiny B1.

Ah, you have no idea how glad I am to read you had an 1145 flight - this is/was my single biggest concern leading up to the holiday. We also have an 1145 flight, with Jet2 back to Edinburgh. We have booked the private transfer for 0930, but I have their number in case we are running behind.

Earn - thanks. We are a party of 12, but one member is 80 years old with slight mobility problems so pulling her own case off isn't really an option. We will try and share it amongst our party but we all have our own luggage too. Also, didn't think you could walk off with your own luggage - according to MSC's website, under the 'Disembarkation' section it says all items must be screened and you aren't allowed to walk off with it.

I will go to reception and make it clear we need off ASAP.

Read various reviews about long waits at Marco Polo so really pleased you were there a few weeks ago and made your 1145 flight, that up to date info is just perfect for putting my mind at ease!

Yes, 10/12 of us have taken the package in some form or other - does seem good value. I'll have fun adding up all my receipts when I get back. :)

Couple of questions about the ports if I may -

Dubrovnik - to get into the walled city, I understand there is an entrance fee - can you pay in Euros? Heard mixed reports about this, I read online you can NOT and must use Kuna, but a friend at work reckons he paid for it in Euros but wasn't really sure.

Istanbul - we have Lira for the 2 Turkey stops so currency not an issue here. We plan to take the trams up to the main sights, I understand they are all within easy walking distance of one another when you get there. Did you DIY or take an MSC tour?

Many thanks again for your time and all of the other contributions too.

Thanks very much, just had a chance to read the thread just now.

We are now 12239 B2, I know there's the overhang, but the extra space is so worth it.

Couple of questions about the ports if I may -

Dubrovnik - to get into the walled city, I understand there is an entrance fee - can you pay in Euros? Heard mixed reports about this, I read online you can NOT and must use Kuna, but a friend at work reckons he paid for it in Euros but wasn't really sure.

Istanbul - we have Lira for the 2 Turkey stops so currency not an issue here. We plan to take the trams up to the main sights, I understand they are all within easy walking distance of one another when you get there. Did you DIY or take an MSC tour?

Many thanks again for your time and all of the other contributions too.

Captain John...overhang should not bother you except noon to 2pm or so. Odd numbered staterooms are left side so ideal for sailaway from Venice.

Dubrovnik: walls accept only Kuna or credit cards. 100 kuna per person. Taxis, shops, restaurants and bars all accept euro. Taxi to town from ship 10€ per car. If many people are waiting for taxis, walk behind the terminal shops and intercept a taxi as it enters the port. Most will only want to sell city tours but eventually one will accept a straightforward run for €10.

Istanbul: we exited the port, it's a short walk from ship to street. We walked to the left on the street, about 100m to the tram stop. The machine and platform are in the middle of the street so watch the traffic. Jetons are 4 tl, machines accept notes and give change in coins. Insert the jeton into the turnstile and access platform. 1 jeton per journey, any length. For Hagia Sofia, stay on until Sultanahmet stop, about 5 stops, they are announced. (To return to ship, get tram T1, Kabatas or Eminonu and get off at Tophane. If you get the Eminonu tram, you change at Eminonu for Kabatas and get off at Tophane. When I say change, you just stay on the pkatform and wait for next tram that says Kabatas, simples!) Blue Mosque is directly opposite Hagia Sophia. Hagia is 30 tl pp. If you are interested in the Basilica Cisterns, the are just to the right, across a street as you exit Hagia Sophia, 20tl pp. Prayer time is about 1pm ish and the mosque closes for some time before so time your visits accordingly.

You will find helpful chaps at the Blue Mosque who will offer adviçe about dress and times etc. They are really touting for shops, carpets or leather. A polite 'no thank you' will usually suffice. Great port stop easily done DIY.

Edited by CruiseIreland
Spelling