A great new free attraction in London

If anyone has time to spend on London soon I would recommend a visit to the roof garden of 20 Fenchurch Street.

Tickets are free but must be prebooked online and you need to have photo ID. It's just a short walk from Monument Tube station.

The views are amazing. 0d0996060d6808f601b85796ee9c75b1.jpg

b48a6f0b795c14036790f02be6d38bfb.jpgdab8d969467020dea9dbb5ced9424ae6.jpga87e029c30b9373606339eef376727ba.jpg522e59fabe4c4bf34561512db099f750.jpgdce44f337788609a34690c2c79277861.jpg

If anyone has time to spend on London soon I would recommend a visit to the roof garden of 20 Fenchurch Street.

Tickets are free but must be prebooked online and you need to have photo ID. It's just a short walk from Monument Tube station. The views are amazing.

Thanks so much for sharing this! I've just added it to a day that includes Borough Market and a visit to the National Portrait Gallery.

I love the Gherkin, but I think the building is too beautiful to wear such a flippant nickname. I call it the Faberge Egg. Longer and not as convenient to say, but a better fit for that glorious architecture.

The views are amazing.
And the very, very best thing about those views are that you cannot see the 20 Fenchurch Street building.

It's a *&@#ing monstrosity that should never have been given permission. And that comes from someone who's generally loving the modern tall buildings being put up in London.

The Gherkin is built on a small street called St Mary Axe. My grandmother ran a pub at No 15 (The gherkin is No 30) for many years and was made a Freewoman of the City of London.

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the idea. It looks like they allow you to book about 2 weeks out.

Yes. When you get to the calendar to reserve your day and time, you'll see a block of dates that is available. (The whole calendar is posted, but future dates do not have a colored block around them to indicate "available.") That block is about a two-week block, although I've seen it vary between 10 days and 2 1/2 weeks as I've checked repeatedly for the date we needed to become available. The block of loaded reservations gets updated on a Monday morning. If the date you want is a Wednesday and it didn't get loaded, it seems that you have to wait until the next Monday.

Definitely free. Reservations may be made at 15 minute intervals.

After you make your reservation, you'll be sent an email with a link to an Adobe file with tickets. You'll be asked to print those tickets and present them along with passport or driver's license. (If you forget your tickets, there is a loophole:. If you know your booking number you can present that along with ID and keep your reservation.)

Edited by Pet Nit Noy