Seymour Narrow passage time (just to speculate)

hugoal

Booked a RT Vancouver cruise to Alaska on 23 - 30 this May. Wondering whether we'd be able to make it through Seymour Narrows in daylights...

Checked charts with the following info:

May 23: 9:24 PM high-tide; 1:52 AM low-tide. (HAL ship scheduled to depart on 5 PM)

May 29: 6:21 PM low-tide; 1:39 AM high-tide.

Can anyone help me speculate what would be the most likely time the cruise ship would pass the Narrow?

It'd be great if we can make it 9:24 PM on May 23, but is it almost impossible for the ship to rush to that point in 4-hour's time?

6:21 PM on May 29 would also be nice as we'll have lots of sunlight, but, again, is it possible for the ship to make it there that early (it departs from Ketchiken on 6PM the day before); and I heard that they prefer high-tide.

Or if we are to pass the narrow during the mid-nights for both days...:eek::eek::eek:

You'll only pass during high or low tide but never in between . We just did two passes thru the narrows . Our northbound was around 10PM. Coming south we passed thru at 7:30PM.

Current in the narrows is too great for ships to handle.

Booked a RT Vancouver cruise to Alaska on 23 - 30 this May. Wondering whether we'd be able to make it through Seymour Narrows in daylights...

Checked charts with the following info:

May 23: 9:24 PM high-tide; 1:52 AM low-tide. (HAL ship scheduled to depart on 5 PM)

May 29: 6:21 PM low-tide; 1:39 AM high-tide.

Can anyone help me speculate what would be the most likely time the cruise ship would pass the Narrow?

It'd be great if we can make it 9:24 PM on May 23, but is it almost impossible for the ship to rush to that point in 4-hour's time?

6:21 PM on May 29 would also be nice as we'll have lots of sunlight, but, again, is it possible for the ship to make it there that early (it departs from Ketchiken on 6PM the day before); and I heard that they prefer high-tide.

Or if we are to pass the narrow during the mid-nights for both days...:eek::eek::eek:

Listen for the cpt. announcement, which should double as a welcome aboard. they usually mention when they go through the narrows. Slack tide is about an hour of the high and low.

Depending on your sightseeing preferences, being up real early the your second day- 1/2 before the dawn time, is excellent for scenery and possible wildlife.

I have done 2 Alaska cruises and both times I asked at guest services for the time going through Seymour Narrows. Both times I got a "what the heck are you talking about" look. I asked them if they could contact the bridge to find out. Then I got the "are you crazy, lady" look. I never did find out.

My third trip is next year--sure wish I knew how to find out the answer to this question.

Edited by pizzalady1

I have done 2 Alaska cruises and both times I asked at guest services for the time going through Seymour Narrows. Both times I got a "what the heck are you talking about" look. I asked them if they could contact the bridge to find out. Then I got the "are you crazy, lady" look. I never did find out.

My third trip is next year--sure wish I knew how to find out the answer to this question.

I've gotten the information from the bridge several times. You can't expect them to find out for you if they are busy, which can be the case embarkation day. I've waited and gone during dinner time. As I mentioned above, I've been on several trips where the cpt announced this after setting sail.

IF you happen to have an engaged ship naturalist- troll the upper decks and especially the viewing lounges, you may find them. Will have one eye out to sea, :), binoculars around their neck, and a ship name tag, ask around.

Same as my experience. I was told that they would have to email the bridge. Apparently there is no direct contact between the Front Desk and the Bridge.

Budget Queen:

According to the itinerary, we are sailing on the east side of Vancouver and are leaving Seattle at 4pm Saturday--do you know how long it takes to get from Seattle to Seymour Narrows? Slack tide will be 11:15pm Saturday, 5:49am and 11:29am Sunday. I am guessing it will be 11:15pm or else they are hanging around for 5+ hours.

Budget Queen:

According to the itinerary, we are sailing on the east side of Vancouver and are leaving Seattle at 4pm Saturday--do you know how long it takes to get from Seattle to Seymour Narrows? Slack tide will be 11:15pm Saturday, 5:49am and 11:29am Sunday. I am guessing it will be 11:15pm or else they are hanging around for 5+ hours.

Cruises from Seattle never go on the east side of Vancouver Island. Speed restrictions don't allow enough time to get to Ketchikan via Seymour Narrows. Seattle is about 5 hours from Vancouver and Another 7.5 hours to Seymour Narrows.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

Cruises from Seattle never go on the east side of Vancouver Island. Speed restrictions don't allow enough time to get to Ketchikan via Seymour Narrows. Seattle is about 5 hours from Vancouver and Another 7.5 hours to Seymour Narrows.

It's not a "never", there are some selective, cruises that do sail inside Vancouver Island from Seattle. These are usually one time sailings.

It's not a "never", there are some selective, cruises that do sail inside Vancouver Island from Seattle. These are usually one time sailings.

These usually are smaller adventure cruises relocating to or from Alaska.

OK - yesterday the NCL Pearl left Vancouver for Juneau. She left Vancouver around 4:30 PM. When I went to bed at Midnight she had yet to reach Campbell River. At 7:00AM this morning she is just exiting Johnstone Strait and is near Port Hardy. Running her AIS track back she went through the narrows around 2:00 AM. It looked like for the most part she was making around 10 kn. As others here have mentioned they must go through the narrows around the tides.

It has been many years now but on our first AK cruise in 02 we left Seattle on the NCL Sky and we cruised up the inside of the island - that was the standard route - I believe that we did Juneau, Skagway, Tracy Arm, Ketchikan, Victoria, Seattle.

OK - yesterday the NCL Pearl left Vancouver for Juneau. She left Vancouver around 4:30 PM. When I went to bed at Midnight she had yet to reach Campbell River. At 7:00AM this morning she is just exiting Johnstone Strait and is near Port Hardy. Running her AIS track back she went through the narrows around 2:00 AM. It looked like for the most part she was making around 10 kn. As others here have mentioned they must go through the narrows around the tides.

It has been many years now but on our first AK cruise in 02 we left Seattle on the NCL Sky and we cruised up the inside of the island - that was the standard route - I believe that we did Juneau, Skagway, Tracy Arm, Ketchikan, Victoria, Seattle.

We where on the Coral Princess on May 2,2015. We left at 4pm and passed thru Seymour Narrows at 11 30pm. Coming south we passed thru at 7 30pm.

You'll only pass during high or low tide but never in between . We just did two passes thru the narrows . Our northbound was around 10PM. Coming south we passed thru at 7:30PM.

Current in the narrows is too great for ships to handle.

Thanks for the info! 730 is perfect! When did you leave Ketchikan southbound?

Listen for the cpt. announcement, which should double as a welcome aboard. they usually mention when they go through the narrows. Slack tide is about an hour of the high and low.

Depending on your sightseeing preferences, being up real early the your second day- 1/2 before the dawn time, is excellent for scenery and possible wildlife.

Get up early in the morning is a good idea! Need to struggle for that, though[emoji23]

Thanks! And have a wonderful trip!

We where on the Coral Princess on May 2,2015. We left at 4pm and passed thru Seymour Narrows at 11 30pm. Coming south we passed thru at 7 30pm.

Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the info! 730 is perfect! When did you leave Ketchikan southbound?

We left Ketchikan at about 4:30. Keep in mind that transfer time will change about an hours a day . Tides are not exactly 24 hr . I think they are about 24 hours and 30 minutes cycle.

I've sailed through the narrows at various time, from before midnight through early morning.

A significant point, with an above example, is the scenery and wildlife opportunities going north. It is necessary to be up and out before dawn.

As noted above, the Pearl was already to Port Hardy at 7am, way too late for much scenery left.

I've also had many varied times going south, BUT this direction is superior for the scenery and wildlife, with getting to the Queen Charlottes usually late afternoon. the whole evening is nonstop close up land sailing. I've been through the narrows early as well, with seeing Vancouver off in the distance in the evening, as well as a late night transit.

So- if you wish to see it- then know your tide tables for your particular days. Available online.

I'd like to see it, but I have no idea how to read tide tables. Our cruise is in September.

Northbound on September 4 - depart 4:30 pm

Southbound on September 11 - arrival 7:00 am

I hope we are not going through it in the dark. I'm going to go look it up on youtube so I can see what it looks like.

Edited by Cheryl H

I'd like to see it, but I have no idea how to read tide tables. Our cruise is in September.

Northbound on September 4 - depart 4:30 pm 8:25 pm (approx) high tide

Southbound on September 11 - arrival 7:00 am 7:55 PM (Approx) low tide

I hope we are not going through it in the dark. I'm going to go look it up on youtube so I can see what it looks like.

Cruise ships can pass within 20 minutes of high or low tide This is based on a current tide table for

Seymour Narrows. Both are doable . We passed southbound at 7:30PM and northbound at 11:30 PM. 8:25PM is doable

if the captains cruises as fast as he can.

Edited by Kamloops50

Northbound on September 4 - depart 4:30 pm

Southbound on September 11 - arrival 7:00 am

You will be going through in dark going north. at 10:30p approx-

going south- maybe 5:40p (but not likely) likely - 11:20p

Well rats. Thanks for looking it up though. I did find a few youtubes to see what it looked like.

Hi Budget Queen:

According to the tide schedule for May 29, is it likely that my ship will get to the narrow on 6:20pm low slack tide on the southbound trip? (It would leave Ketchikan on 6pm the previous day) or is it more likely to get through it at 1:10am high slack tide?

Hi Budget Queen:

According to the tide schedule for May 29, is it likely that my ship will get to the narrow on 6:20pm low slack tide on the southbound trip? (It would leave Ketchikan on 6pm the previous day) or is it more likely to get through it at 1:10am high slack tide?

More likely the later.