Carnival Hub App and Social Plan

We just got back on the Carnival Breeze and really enjoyed having the Carnival Hub app on that cruise. It was apparently a Beta test for the Breeze but it worked wonderfully. You download the app and enter your folio number. It allows you to text anyone in your party and exchange text numbers with anyone else on the ship. It really made it easy to keep in touch with my children and friends. In addition, it allowed you to see the ships event itinerary and you could checkmark the ones you wanted to do and it would alarm/alert you when it was time to head to the event you selected.

I also liked the new internet plans.

Hub was free with a $5 charge to use the texting feature.

The Social Network plan was $25 for the entire cruise and let you use Facebook, Messenger, Instagram, Twitter and What'sApp. It was very easy to keep in touch with friends and family back home with Messenger.

We just got back on the Carnival Breeze and really enjoyed having the Carnival Hub app on that cruise. It was apparently a Beta test for the Breeze but it worked wonderfully. You download the app and enter your folio number. It allows you to text anyone in your party and exchange text numbers with anyone else on the ship. It really made it easy to keep in touch with my children and friends. In addition, it allowed you to see the ships event itinerary and you could checkmark the ones you wanted to do and it would alarm/alert you when it was time to head to the event you selected.

The Social Network plan was $25 for the entire cruise and let you use Facebook, Messenger, Instagram, Twitter and What'sApp. It was very easy to keep in touch with friends and family back home with Messenger.

Thanks for the information!

Did you have to pay for BOTH the $5 Hub app fee (to use the texting feature with other who also had activated the texting feature while on the ship) PLUS the $25 Social Network Plan for a total of $30?

Thanks for the information!

Did you have to pay for BOTH the $5 Hub app fee (to use the texting feature with other who also had activated the texting feature while on the ship) PLUS the $25 Social Network Plan for a total of $30?

Yes. You don't have to purchase both, or either.

Edited by Jenhem31

Sounds like a pretty nifty tool to keep in touch. Not sure if DW and would do it alone because we usually together, but would certainly consider doing it if we traveled with a larger group.

I've heard that the $5 fee for texting is per phone but what about the $25 charge...is that per phone also?

To clarify.

The Hub app is free.

If you want to add texting it's $5 per folio/device.

The social Internet plan is 100% independent of the Hub app. It allows your folio to access social networking sites and FB messenger from your phone, pc or the ship's computers. It's $5 per day or $25 for the whole cruise.

I like the feature of selecting things to do and an alarm sounding. Do we have any type of roll out date for the App on other ships? I downloaded it because I like that it has a count down on it! We will be on the Conquest in October and I hope it will work then!

So, if you get the social internet package, there really is no reason to get the $5 text feature, right? Because you can just use facebook messenger or another social network messaging app?

Did anyone notice a different in speed compared with using the hub app text vs using messaging via the social internet package?

I recall a post from awhile ago saying the speed of getting messages was slow, making it hard to use when trying to communicate instantly...that there was a bit of a lag.

The app feature sounds pretty neat and useful, but the texting feature would be a waste for wife and I. And I don;t want the social media because we like to be disconnected from the world. :cool::D:cool:

The app feature sounds pretty neat and useful, but the texting feature would be a waste for wife and I. And I don;t want the social media because we like to be disconnected from the world. :cool::D:cool:

One thing I liked about the social media plan was that it allowed you to use facebook messenger. That let me text our parents, friends house sitter as needed. On day 4 our house sitter set off the alarm once and needed the password to tell the monitoring company and I was able to get it to her.

Did they indicate when the "beta testing" might be complete or when it might be available on other ships? I am guessing not, but thought I would ask

So, if you get the social internet package, there really is no reason to get the $5 text feature, right? Because you can just use facebook messenger or another social network messaging app?

Did anyone notice a different in speed compared with using the hub app text vs using messaging via the social internet package?

I recall a post from awhile ago saying the speed of getting messages was slow, making it hard to use when trying to communicate instantly...that there was a bit of a lag.

I can confirm there 'can' be some lag time with receiving your messages with the app/texting plan. For the most part, I didn't notice or pay attention. But another time my friend texted me during a show, and it took 20 minutes to get to me. The show was long over lol.

Another issue I had with the app was the inaccuracy of the sail & sign card balances. I went to guest services to question a charge listed. But what the app didn't show was the offsetting credit for that charge. So I stopped using that part of the app altogether.

I think the app has a lot of potential, but maybe still has some bugs to be worked out.

And, I would still buy the texting plan again if we were traveling with a group. But go into it knowing there could be some lag in receiving the messages.

I was recently on the Breeze and had the Social Media package. I liked being able to use FaceBook messenger to text our adult kids that were taking care of our dogs and house. I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to use the USA Today app with that package.

My tip for people, especially kids and teens, is to use an iPod Touch onboard. Then there's no way of accidentally messing up your settings and getting an enormous cell phone bill. We switch our cell phones into airplane mode then power them down and lock them in the safe.

You need to install the Hub app while you have Internet or wifi access before you cruise. If you do it before your cruise and put in a sail date, it will show a countdown. Basically the entire Funtimes is available once you're onboard. We used it a lot. It is free up to this point.

The $5 per person is for the chat feature of the Hub app for the length of the cruise. You get it by folio number. I don't think you can just look up other people so no one will know your child's ID for chatting unless the child gives it to someone. It apparently works better on iPhone instead of Android phones. We had iPhones and it was fantastic. Some people with other phones said it was not as reliable.

When you select favorite activities in the app, it will show you if any of your contacts (other people with your chat ID) also have the same activities selected.

The Social Internet package is totally separate. It is $5 per day or $25 for the length of the cruise. Theoretically, you could buy it for everyone in your party and use some other app to chat with your party on the ship, but that would be way more expensive.

You buy the internet package by folio and you can log into it on any device that has the Hub app. Only one device can be active at a time. My daughter and I both used it and just kicked each other off when we wanted to be connected.

With the Social package, if you have iPhones, you can just text people off ship with iPhones as usual and it will go as an iMessage. I'm not sure we ever got pictures to send in texts, but we could put them on Facebook or Instagram. We could not use FB Messenger voice or video. You might be able to with a more heavy duty package.

Everyone you wanted to text on the ship would also have to have the Internet package and be logged in in order for you to use the Social package to communicate. That would be expensive for a family -$25 per person.

The Hub chat function would only be $5 per person and worked seamlessly for us. We all had iPhones but I heard some people had trouble with other operating systems. We never notice a lag between messages.

Everyone you wanted to text on the ship would also have to have the Internet package and be logged in in order for you to use the Social package to communicate. That would be expensive for a family -$25 per person.

The Hub chat function would only be $5 per person and worked seamlessly for us. We all had iPhones but I heard some people had trouble with other operating systems. We never notice a lag between messages.

Exactly. We let one person get the social app so we could contact family at home or they could contact us in an emergency.

Everyone else got the app with texting enabled for $5. It was nice being able to check on my teens after us old farts retired for the evening

You need to install the Hub app while you have Internet or wifi access before you cruise. If you do it before your cruise and put in a sail date, it will show a countdown. Basically the entire Funtimes is available once you're onboard. We used it a lot. It is free up to this point.

The $5 per person is for the chat feature of the Hub app for the length of the cruise. You get it by folio number. I don't think you can just look up other people so no one will know your child's ID for chatting unless the child gives it to someone. It apparently works better on iPhone instead of Android phones. We had iPhones and it was fantastic. Some people with other phones said it was not as reliable.

When you select favorite activities in the app, it will show you if any of your contacts (other people with your chat ID) also have the same activities selected.

The Social Internet package is totally separate. It is $5 per day or $25 for the length of the cruise. Theoretically, you could buy it for everyone in your party and use some other app to chat with your party on the ship, but that would be way more expensive.

You buy the internet package by folio and you can log into it on any device that has the Hub app. Only one device can be active at a time. My daughter and I both used it and just kicked each other off when we wanted to be connected.

With the Social package, if you have iPhones, you can just text people off ship with iPhones as usual and it will go as an iMessage. I'm not sure we ever got pictures to send in texts, but we could put them on Facebook or Instagram. We could not use FB Messenger voice or video. You might be able to with a more heavy duty package.

Thanks for the additional information.

Sounds like I will get the $25 internet package and split it with my boyfriend so we can both log onto social media. We will likely be attached at the hip the entire time.... it's his first cruise.