Power Strips on Alaska Cruise

fin

Good friends of mine are leaving at the end of this month for a Holland America cruise in Alaska (they did not know name of the ship!)

If they take a new power strip with multi outlets, will it be confiscated when they board?

[i DID try a search here before asking]

It may be confiscated if it has a surge suppressor. Those are bad for ship hulls. Have them ask at the front desk if theirs is OK to use, since Know Before You Go still says:

If more outlet space is necessary, only Holland America Line provided power bars

are to be used. Please contact the Front Office for more information.

Edited by catl331

Have them check with the front desk or cabin steward. We cruised several years ago, an electrical fire was started in one of the cabins by someone forgetting to unplug something before they left the cabin.

We always take a surge protector with multiple outlets because the rooms never provide enough ;)

But you shouldn't:

The reason surge protectors are not allowed is that ship's power systems are different than shore power systems that the surge protectors are designed for. On land, one of the "legs" of the power system (one of the flat pins that carry current) is grounded to the ground pin (round one needed to protect you from electric shock) at your circuit breaker panel. Ships keep these two wires separate, so that stray current does not flow through the "ground" which is the ship's hull. These stray currents will create a mild battery effect in sea water, causing corrosion to the hull. Therefore, there are monitoring and alarm circuits onboard that measure the amount of current flowing in the hull, and surge protectors can set off these alarms.

If you take a power strip, make it one without the surge suppressor feature.

Edited by jtl513

One of our suitcases was taken to the "naughty room". When our Room Steward located it, there was a tag stating, "powerstrip" but there was no problem with him delivering it to our stateroom without our having to retrieve it.

We have borrowed extension cords from the Front Desk that had a surge protector built-in.

Just to be safe, we bring several extension adapters for all of our electronics/batteries but ensure they do not include surge protectors.

....We have borrowed extension cords from the Front Desk that had a surge protector built-in....

I suspect you are mistaken here. I am certain that the Front Desk would never lend out any electrical device containing a surge suppressor.

On the other hand, each of the cords could well have had a dual line circuit breaker (which is often confused with a surge suppressor.) However, though the two devices look similar and both can cut off the electrical current, they are quite different in the way they function.

Scott & Karen

We bought one of the three plug/2 USB things that I'd seen on this board. It say "suppressor" on it. Will it not be allowed? It was one that was linked in several posts and we plan to take it.

If you mean this Belkin model, it might slip past the x-ray checkers because it doesn't look like a typical power strip with a short cord, but you really shouldn't use it on a ship.

289vbx2.jpg

Edited by jtl513

Since chargers for electronics will work on both European and North American currents to convert the power down to a battery trickle, if you pack a few European adapters for the European receptacles you can double your plug-in capacity. Just check on the power cube to make sure it works from 100 to 240 volts.

You don't need a converter--a simple inexpensive two rounded prong adapter will do. When I first suspected this would work I checked it out with an electrician to make sure I was right and it would not damage my electronics.

Since some of the power cubes can be a bit bulky and hard to fit side by side in the receptacles, I take a small outlet extender so the bulky cube can be plugged in a few inches out from the wall. It is not a power suppressor---just a simple, inexpensive device.

Edited by sapper1

But you shouldn't:

If you take a power strip, make it one without the surge suppressor feature.

Honestly, this very forum is the first time I'd ever heard that there was an issue. Our power strip is always in the very front pocket of our suitcase so it should've been quite visible to luggage screening. It's always in plain view to room stewards as well and no one has ever mentioned anything to us about possible issues with them.

Since chargers for electronics will work on both European and North American currents to convert the power down to a battery trickle, if you pack a few European adapters for the European receptacles you can double your plug-in capacity. Just check on the power cube to make sure it works from 100 to 240 volts.

You don't need a converter--a simple inexpensive two rounded prong adapter will do. When I first suspected this would work I checked it out with an electrician to make sure I was right and it would not damage my electronics.

Since some of the power cubes can be a bit bulky and hard to fit side by side in the receptacles, I take a small outlet extender so the bulky cube can be plugged in a few inches out from the wall. It is not a power suppressor---just a simple, inexpensive device.

While I agree that most devices today have dual 110V-220V ratings, not all do, which is why there is still a healthy tourist market for converters. Just double check any device you plan on plugging into the 220v outlet before doing so.

We always pack both a US and a European power strip, and a US and a European extension cord whenever we cruise - almost gives enough outlets for today's constantly-being-recharged worldl!

While I agree that most devices today have dual 110V-220V ratings, not all do, which is why there is still a healthy tourist market for converters. Just double check any device you plan on plugging into the 220v outlet before doing so.

Not to worry. I took a look at all the items I charge and they all work with just an adapter. Mind you, the print was so small I had to use a magnifying glass! :eek:

Honestly, this very forum is the first time I'd ever heard that there was an issue. Our power strip is always in the very front pocket of our suitcase so it should've been quite visible to luggage screening. It's always in plain view to room stewards as well and no one has ever mentioned anything to us about possible issues with them.

I agree this is the only place I have seen it mentioned. You would think with something as important as this seems to be that there would be something in the cruise contract or "Know before you go" info. Perhaps there is and I have just missed it.

Not to worry. I took a look at all the items I charge and they all work with just an adapter. Mind you, the print was so small I had to use a magnifying glass! :eek:

I'm sure you would, but maybe less confident of others. Yes, the older I get, the more they seem to shrink the print! :)

I agree this is the only place I have seen it mentioned. You would think with something as important as this seems to be that there would be something in the cruise contract or "Know before you go" info. Perhaps there is and I have just missed it.
You missed it.

Page 8 of KBYG.PDF (link) includes the sentence given in post #3 of this thread:

Electrical Appliances:

All staterooms are equipped with standard 110 AC and 220 AC outlets. Guests with pre- or postcruise hotel packages may want to bring converters and/or adapters for their hotel stay. All staterooms are equipped with hair dryers. If more outlet space is necessary, only Holland America Line provided power bars are to be used. Please contact the Front Office for more information.

Here's a recent thread from the Celebrity board that is quite informative:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2228714&highlight=surge

The technical explanation provided by chengkp75 is particularly helpful in understanding the issue.

Here's a recent thread from the Celebrity board that is quite informative:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2228714&highlight=surge

The technical explanation provided by chengkp75 is particularly helpful in understanding the issue.

I am always in awe of the information provided by chengkp75 - however, HAL should be providing the information themselves rather than relying on someone educating others on an internet forum. That's my point - put the warning in the cruise docs or on their website. After all, it has been said that only a very minute percentage of cruisers are Cruise Critic members;).

You missed it.

Page 8 of KBYG.PDF (link) includes the sentence given in post #3 of this thread:

Electrical Appliances:

All staterooms are equipped with standard 110 AC and 220 AC outlets. Guests with pre- or postcruise hotel packages may want to bring converters and/or adapters for their hotel stay. All staterooms are equipped with hair dryers. If more outlet space is necessary, only Holland America Line provided power bars are to be used. Please contact the Front Office for more information.

Thank you, jtl513. I think they should make it more prominent, especially as just about everyone brings some kind of extension or power bar.

I just looked through our cruise docs from last week and there was not one mention regarding this issue. I also just did a search on the Holland website and found nothing in regards to "surge protector", "surge", or "power strip." Even google searching the issue doesn't yield much reliable information on the topic.

Seems that if using one was so dangerous or detrimental to their fleets as many claim they are, there would be ample information and warnings in the cruise docs and the website. Even a small plaque mounted in the stateroom stating the danger of using them would then seem necessary. We only own power strips with surge protection built in because we used them for our home electronics (and, in the past, I saw no need to run out to buy another one for our cruises when I already own plenty). I certainly don't want to break the rules or create a safety concern. I only wish the issue had been thoroughly explained by every cruise line we've been on prior to sailing but, again, it's never been an issue for us.