Dinner in Anchorage - 1 Chance to get it right.

Jane2357

We will be in Anchorage for 1 night on our post cruise tour - with dinner on our own. So I want to make the right decision to have the evening of a lifetime as I doubt we will return (the bucket list is too long).

First - does anyone know what time in the evenings you are freed up from the tour? I would think fairly early but would I be safe with a 6:00 or 6:30 reservation?

1) Orso - Italian but with an Alaskan bent

2) Simon & Seafort's Saloon & Grill - fresh seafood

I'd love any input on these selections.

Edited by Jane2357

I love the F Street Station. But be aware... It has incredibly limited seating. It's basically a small bar with a small grill where they cook some delicious food. You sit on bar stools. So it's not really a "fancy place".

The Glacier Brewhouse has good food. But of what you listed for a special night I would go with Simon & Seaforts. Try to get a seat near the windows for the amazing view.

I've been to F Street once before and so took it off the list, but the fish and chips were wonderful! DH has never been to Alaska and I do want a special meal so I am down to Simon & Seafort's or Orso, leaning towards S&S. Time to get on Trip Advisor and read the reviews!

Since the OP only asked for the relative merits of Orso versus Simon & Seaforts, I much prefer the food and service at Orso but, if you can get a window table, S & S has great views. I have thought for years that S & S just isn't as good as it was in the 1980s. My husband and I are flying down to Anchorage on Saturday as there is an event that we will attend on Sunday. We will stay for a few days to see friends. While we will have dinner at Orso, S&S isn't even on the list.

But I can't resist commenting on Marx Brothers -- that IS on the list for next week! I've loved it for years.

I'm assuming you are only interested in the downtown restaurants, and not able or willing to get out into mid-town, so I'll skip those even though our number one favorite high quality cuisine in Alaska is located in mid-town. You mention both Orso and Simon and Seaforts. Both are very good. Of the two I would pick Orso but mainly because I love the Mediterranean diet, really though, it is a toss up. At one time Orso was very popular and number one in Anchorage, but then started a stretch where they slipped, probably because they decided to go with their reputation and slacked off. But then they wised up and last time we ate there it was excellent.

If you haven't relegated yourself to only one of those two, below is a C.C. link to a recent discourse regarding the same.

We live in mid-town, since I like to drink fine wine while dining but hate going all the way down there just to eat, we often dine out more closer to home. What we also like though is to attend theatre performances, since the arts crowd and theatres are mostly down town, that works out well for us, as we drive down long before the performance and eat at one of the many fine establishments there.

We have many favorites downtown, of course, Marx Brothers is the number one gourmet eating experience. But other than that, and lately, we have been preferring 1. Ginger (Their Alaska grown oyster shooters are great) 2. Sacks Cafe & Restaurant 3. Haute Quarter Grill, 4. "Crush", wine bistro and cellar (I like their pork dishes, Slow roasted Pork, or Bone In Pork Chop.) 5. Club Paris.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2294339&page=2

Edited by kennicott