Television on Insignia PH

Meldrum

We are sailing on Insignia this week. We will bring an iPad with movies to connect to the television in our PH cabin. Question is: can I connect with HDMI or with VGA? From the photos I presume the television is very small, probably 30" or less, is that correct?

Thanks in advance for your help and advise.

Thanks for your answer, Paul.

That really surprises me as they state on their website that cabins have:

- Flat-screen television with live satellite news and programming

I thought there must be at least one digital input, no?

How is the DVD-player (no Blu-ray?) connected to the television? Or is it build-in?

On Marina and Riviera we had a HDMI connection on the television, but these are newer ships...

Thanks for your answer, Paul.

That really surprises me as they state on their website that cabins have:

- Flat-screen television with live satellite news and programming

I thought there must be at least one digital input, no?

How is the DVD-player (no Blu-ray?) connected to the television? Or is it build-in?

On Marina and Riviera we had a HDMI connection on the television, but these are newer ships...

On Regatta the DVD player was on the shelf above the TV I suspect it is the same on Insignia but we were in an A cat so the PH may differ

I never looked behind to see the connections

on the other hand they do have a large collection of DVD's you can borrow from Reception ... you may find something of interest if all else fails

Edited by LHT28

In addition to the movie library, there are four channels of movie tv running all but the wee hours. Just enough repetition at different hours to accommodate your other priorities.

We've had built-in DVD players on the O ships and separate DVD players on the Rs.

Don't know for sure but I bet the various A/V inputs (e.g., HDMI, RCA) have been deactivated.

We are on Insignia now and we can confirm that there are free connections on the back of the television. You can easily connect an iPad to the HDMI port or VGA connector. We're happy to be able to see movies and tv-series we put on the iPad. So far the entertainment on board Insignia is not so bad: a duo of Instrumentalists played latin american music and yesterday there was a rather good comedian.

• 5 weeks later...

Update: when we were onboard we asked the Concierge to see an unoccupied Oceanview and Veranda stateroom. These have Samsung televisions without HDMI or VGA inputs, only analogue inputs. Concierge told us that by July 2017 these staterooms will be refurbished and will get new televisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't consider myself a luddite, in fact we travel with more electronics than I'm comfortable with admitting to the casual reader, but I have never been on a Cruise or in a hotel where they allowed AV connection to the television in a guest room (business use is different).

My knee jerk reaction is that that the host company does not want the headache/manpower cost of resetting or programming the TV's before each new guest.

If you have ever had someone borrow your car and fiddle with the Radio presets, you'll know that "undoing" is often more time consuming than "doing".

What am I missing? :confused:

I don't consider myself a luddite, in fact we travel with more electronics than I'm comfortable with admitting to the casual reader, but I have never been on a Cruise or in a hotel where they allowed AV connection to the television in a guest room (business use is different).

My knee jerk reaction is that that the host company does not want the headache/manpower cost of resetting or programming the TV's before each new guest.

If you have ever had someone borrow your car and fiddle with the Radio presets, you'll know that "undoing" is often more time consuming than "doing".

What am I missing? :confused:

Most hotels I stay at today (about 100 nights per year). have AV connections by the desk that allows me to connect my PC or iPad to. I can stream English language programs or my TiVo DVR recorded programs to the connected TV.

Edited by PaulMCO

If you simply attach an iPad or other device on a free HDMI port, you are not fiddling at all. We disconnected the dvd-player from the television in our suite and instead connected my iPad. On disembarkation day, we reconnected the dvd-player.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums