A few comments on August 1st crossing.

moses0

Absolutely loved my second crossing on the QM2.

The Ship.

What is not to love about this wonderful Ocean Liner. Having been recently re-mastered she seems like a new ship. Rides like a dream. Most of the time you hardly know you are aboard an Ocean going ship. Except when hit broadside by 115mph winds and seemingly a rogue wave at 3:15 am. Even then I was glad to be on the QM2 and not one of those floating mega hotels.

Loved all the improvements. I prefer the new Grand Lobby even if it is more “plain” than “Grand.”

Our Stateroom

Our abode for the crossing was a sheltered balcony stateroom on deck 6 just forward of section “B”. All nicely refurbished. We appreciated a very comfy bed and delightful down comforter. I’m not really one for sitting out on a balcony so the chest high metal wall was not a problem for me. We did enjoy standing out there and watching the lovely sunsets before dinner. The TV on the wall was useful for following our progress and keeping up with my football team on Sky Sports. Other than that didn’t need it. Did watch a rerun of Star Wars whilst getting ready for dinner which on formal nights takes me awhile.

Food

The food for the most part was amazing. I marvel at how they can prepare such wonderful dishes for so many people and for the food to be good on a consistent basis.

In the Britannia main dining room, the meals were excellent. The Kings Court provided a vast variety of dishes that surely would satisfy all but the exceedingly picky eaters. Loved breakfast at either place. Our last dinner was in the Verandah restaurant. Must say a splendid meal with exceptional service and presentation.

For an exiled English couple living in Florida the afternoon teas were a delightful reminder of a time past and an age long forgotten. The string quartet added to the wonder of it all.

The Entertainment

Not a partially vital part of our cruising needs as we enjoy the company and conversation of our friends and co-travelers. We did appreciate the many musicians aboard and the numerous opportunities to sit and drink our cuppa whilst listening to the piano man or the harpist.

The jazz/blues girl singer was worth a listen and rocked the house one night in the Carinthian Lounge. Which incidentally as has been noted, is a great place to hang out.

The favorite was a rendition of “Pride and Prejudice” performed by the RADA group on board which left us wishing we had attended more of their offerings.

As to the star featured and much exalted jazz music of Herbie Hancock I could only handle the first number. After 10-15 minutes of musical self indulgence by said band we left. Our pain was probably due to our lack of understanding and appreciation of such a confusing musical genre, thus the quick exit. I’m sure that those who stayed were more jazz enlightened and a good time was had by all. But not for old Beatle freaks. The singers and dancers are adequate but nothing to write home about. But again these things were bottom of our list of reasons to board the QM

2. Last year it was Crosby-Stills and Nash, now yer talking

The Crew

Were efficient and not overly friendly. Some folks prefer chatty fun loving waiters but friendly efficient service is enough for us. Only on one occasion, our last breakfast, did we feel somewhat slighted. We figured this was mostly due to the fellow not understanding our English too well. It ended well with the young man careful to make amends for the apparent misunderstanding.

The young man taking care of our room did a good job whilst remaining mostly invisible. I did look forward to the daily updates from Captain Wells even if he did play down the 3:15 am leaning 5-degree adventure. It was assuring to hear him say, “we are now continuing upright.”

The Ballroom

Boasted as the largest at sea. Not a place we frequented except for Tea (yum.)

We had taken a couple of lessons to learn the waltz and as the band played their version of “Moon River” we almost ventured out onto the overcrowded floor but thought better of it when expert dancers were whizzing around like Blackpool Tower Ball Room champions. Pass. It always looks a bit silly to me anyway. My bad. Just not the ball room dancer type, must be due to the way my parents tortured me as a little boy on holiday by forcing me to attend aforementioned Tower Ball Room.

Other Stuff

Nice cappuccino in Sir Samuels just ask for it extra hot if you prefer it that way.

Commodore club nice place for a quite time but not for chatting. Make sure to leave via the glass outside lift. Cool.

Got to have at least one lunch in the Golden Lion pub.

Dress up even if its not your thing (not mine either) but its always fun and therapeutic to do something you rarely get to do in your normal life. I’m not offended by any who prefer not to put on the Tux and I was thankful for permission to wear my “nice black jeans” (thanks to the jazz guys) to dinner the first night (naturally along with insisted upon jacket.) Most folks are friendly enough but I did note a couple of glares at said jeans. Oh get over it!

On and off no problem. Good job Cunard.

One thing I did notice and will mention there is a strange low end vibration mid-ships just before Sir Samuels and Chart Room. I did not notice it last year. I would not want a Stateroom below in that vicinity. Mid-ships on our deck around 6200. Hmmm.

Well that’s it! Hoping to board that wonderful ship again one day. Dreaming of a World Cruise. Got to step up with my dancing shoes before then though. And not to mention needing a small fortune to make that dream come true.

Great review. Nice style of writing.....

Pity you are 'scarred' by early life experiences of the Tower ballroom..... We always loiter for a little while in the Queens Room to do our learned dance of the day before making our excuses. I find that the good dancers, like an expert forklift truck driver, can steer effortlessly around any hazards in the way (aka: me and hubby). Only the very few pretentious 'wannabes' fail to navigate around us, tutting, in my mind, at their own lack of talent!

Thanks for that great review- I agree in all points- just sailed QM2 on the 6 th July crossing eastbound. Enjoyed RADA as well- after one preformance- sadly at the end of the journey, I also wished I had attended more of their great shows!

As for the waiters- here I agree totaly and more so. LOL. I am not snubbish- not at all (well at least I don´t think so..) but I can not stand waiters which are overbearing, makeing jokes about this and that, showing one tricks with matches and that kind of things! Nice and friendly service will do. Some passenger love that kind of entertainment from the waiters. I could roll my eyes everytime I come across such a borne entertainer! LOL.

I also dream of the world cruise- well one can dream can´t one??!!

I agree with all that was said about the TA on August 1. What a delightful trip and even our rogue wave and rough sea day were a highlight. We were amazed at how smoothly everything operates from the food selections, cabin stewards, efficiency of staff, and book selection in the library. This was our second TA and I think it was more enjoyable that the first. We look forward to sailing the Queens for years to come.

Thank you for the great review!

I'm jealous, never having experienced any significant tilting on the QM2. Sounded like you had the E-ticket (a Disneyland reference, for those not old-enough to remember). Captain Wells, along with the ship of course, would have given me confidence in any weather. What an experience it must have been!

Again, great review!

One thing I did notice and will mention there is a strange low end vibration mid-ships just before Sir Samuels and Chart Room. I did not notice it last year. I would not want a Stateroom below in that vicinity. Mid-ships on our deck around 6200. Hmmm.

We noticed the same on our 6 July transatlantic. We were on deck 5 and noticed the mid ship noise in the same area on 4, 5 and 6. We were very glad we didn't have cabins in that area as it was quite noticible. It seemed to be occurring mid ship between two sets of fire doors.

We were on this crossing as well, as well as the previous one and greatly enjoyed the ship.

Do I have much to add?

Well, because of our cabin location we enjoyed the coffee in the Corinthia. Just a lovely, elegant space.

The gym has new equipment and we used the facilities on a daily basis.

I went to the spa most days and very much enjoyed it! I was concerned that it hadn't been renovated, but it was just fine as it is. The only negative is that the showers in the spa area (not the locker room). don't work properly. One doesn't work at all. I especially enjoyed the big, soft towels and the comfy loungers. The temperature of the water was comfortable.

The pursers area was below par. They were new and not well trained.

The concierge was a crabby guy. I am surprised that these people don't at least pretend to be a bit happy to see you.

I loved taking the flower arranging class with Mikey! We did it both ways.

Most people did NOT seem to enjoy HH. To the dress code concern on the Jazz cruise, I saw no jeans in the dining room.

The selection and service in the Kings Court was exceptional! I saw lunch as the only weak point, so I did room service some days. Too much hot and heavy food that I would never have at home. There could be more interesting salads for example. I did do room service. The Thai green chicken is fabulous, I just spent two weeks in Bangkok, so I can say it with some certainty.

I'm not a fan of fixed seating times, but that will never change in the Brittania, nor should it, there are too many people that are aged or infirmed to manage the variables. We did do the Grills one way, and it was nice to have some flexibility. Of course the service is less rushed as well.

Both my staterooms had been refurbished. The PG was much much better than the photos. I found it to be perfect in every way. The furnishings, the color scheme, the amount of storage the deck furniture, all spot on. My cabin on deck five was literally remastered in Southhampton as we watched ! They do about 90 cabins each time that they are in port. We had the carpets, but they added the new headboard and lamp (so classic). On deck four (we were doing laundry), they were tearing up and replacing carpet in one area. Some rooms on five have not been remastered, according to one couple I met.

Most people seemed to feel that the list was more than five degrees. The winds were hurricane force and over 100 MPH. Some passengers said that they could see the ocean laying in bed. My bed was noticably higher than that of my daughter!

In all a wonderful experience! Even after 16 days, most of them at sea, I enjoyed the ship.

I had thought it might be too much. There were 350 or so of us that did the round trip from NY.