Buying Cuban Cigars and Rum near the ports without being ripped off.

jsausley

So I'm going to Cuba on the Empress in August and I'm planning to bring back at least one box of Cuban cigars, maybe two, and some rum as well.

I know they are probably priced through the roof near the port to attempt to make money on tourist shoppers.

Empress has just finished its first cruise in Cuba so I figure some of those cruisers may have had some experience with this.

My pastor (who visits Cuba every year for mission work) says that buying official Cuban cigars from the state-run tobacco stores can cost $200-400/box, but that he found them elsewhere (from a more "sketchy" source) for like $40/box, which is more in line with what I would expect them to cost. Remember that Cubans earn like $40/month so I wouldn't expect a box of cigars to cost more than that, even after the tourist cost increase.

What do you guys recommend?

So I'm going to Cuba on the Empress in August and I'm planning to bring back at least one box of Cuban cigars, maybe two, and some rum as well.

I know they are probably priced through the roof near the port to attempt to make money on tourist shoppers.

Empress has just finished its first cruise in Cuba so I figure some of those cruisers may have had some experience with this.

My pastor (who visits Cuba every year for mission work) says that buying official Cuban cigars from the state-run tobacco stores can cost $200-400/box, but that he found them elsewhere (from a more "sketchy" source) for like $40/box, which is more in line with what I would expect them to cost. Remember that Cubans earn like $40/month so I wouldn't expect a box of cigars to cost more than that, even after the tourist cost increase.

What do you guys recommend?

First, you are laboring under some misconceptions. All Cuban cigars are not created equal. The only thing they may have in common is that the tobacco (or whatever plant material is in them) was grown in Cuba.

Cohiba's cost about 10 CUC each. Monte Cristo and Romeo y Juliet about the same, a bit less maybe.

Go to the Partagas store behind the Capitolio in Havana to be shown a variety of cigars at official prices. Get familiar with what is on offer.

Those touring in Vinales can buy cigars, while being shown around a tobacco farm, for 5 CUC that are said to be cohibas (that means from the leaves at the top of the plant, as well as a brand with a capital "C"). The farmers are obligated to give 90% of the crop to the government, and can keep, roll and sell the rest for themselves.

Everybody and their brother on the street in Havana offers you cigars, "the best", "same as the official store". Good luck with that!

Many Cubans earn about

20-30CUC/month at official jobs. Most smoke cheap cigars of dubious quality. If that's what you want, you can spend less than for a good Cohiba or Monte Cristo.

Do your homework before arriving, and educate yourself further once there, so as not to get ripped off or end up with junk.

First, you are laboring under some misconceptions. All Cuban cigars are not created equal. The only thing they may have in common is that the tobacco (or whatever plant material is in them) was grown in Cuba.

Cohiba's cost about 10 CUC each. Monte Cristo and Romeo y Juliet about the same, a bit less maybe.

Go to the Partagas store behind the Capitolio in Havana to be shown a variety of cigars at official prices. Get familiar with what is on offer.

Those touring in Vinales can buy cigars, while being shown around a tobacco farm, for 5 CUC that are said to be cohibas (that means from the leaves at the top of the plant, as well as a brand with a capital "C"). The farmers are obligated to give 90% of the crop to the government, and can keep, roll and sell the rest for themselves.

Everybody and their brother on the street in Havana offers you cigars, "the best", "same as the official store". Good luck with that!

Many Cubans earn about

20-30CUC/month at official jobs. Most smoke cheap cigars of dubious quality. If that's what you want, you can spend less than for a good Cohiba or Monte Cristo.

Do your homework before arriving, and educate yourself further once there, so as not to get ripped off or end up with junk.

Got it, thanks for the descriptive reply. I know a little about cigars but not nearly as much as I should, no doubt.

I prefer heavier and darker cigars, and usually gravitate toward maduro or double maduro when I buy in the states. But, I don't typically finish a standard medium-sized cigar in one sitting. It's like how I prefer a small, but very strong, bitter, aromatic coffee to a large American coffee.

Anyway, last year in Grand Cayman I purchased a small Cuban Cohiba Maduro 5 and it was my favorite cigar that I've had. I know some of that was probably placebo because it was my first authentic Cuban, but that'll be the cigar I'm looking for when I get to Cuba.

Are you saying that I'm pretty much going to be paying about 10 CUC per cigar for something like that? Considering exchange rates, that's about the same thing I paid in Grand Cayman (I believe it was $15 or $18, but I bought just 1, not a full box).

This last trip, I bought at the Partagas store for a co-worker of mine, from a list he had made for me to take. I bought him some Cohiba Robusto and Cohiba Siglo II, both of which he liked. Those two varieties came in 3 packs and I added 2 singles of Monte Cristo #3, hos other request. Total was a bit more than $100 for the 8.

Of the ones I bought direct at the farm for 5CUC each, his comment was that they were very soft and fresh.

I'm heading to Havana on the Empress this September. I'm not a Cigar Aficionado by any stretch of the imagination, but would like to purchase cigars for occasional use on the golf course and trips.

There are a lot of useful websites to do research before traveling. Just google "buying cigars in Cuba". Here are two good discussions of where and where not to buy cigars.

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/buying-cuban-cigars-in-havana-18115

http://cigaresdr.com/?p=743

Cheers

Tom

I'm heading to Havana on the Empress this September. I'm not a Cigar Aficionado by any stretch of the imagination, but would like to purchase cigars for occasional use on the golf course and trips.

There are a lot of useful websites to do research before traveling. Just google "buying cigars in Cuba". Here are two good discussions of where and where not to buy cigars.

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/buying-cuban-cigars-in-havana-18115

http://cigaresdr.com/?p=743

Cheers

Tom

Thanks Tom for some very useful information in the links.

That CA article has quite a good list of top shops in Havana.

There are 3 that are walkable from the port, those with Havana Vieja addresses, including Partargas where I shopped. I liked that I got expert advice there in English, a big advantage IMO for someone who doesn't know the market well or is shopping for an absent friend.

Just realize that those with addresses in Vedado, Miramar, Playa or Cerro would require a taxi. Write the address very clearly for the driver who may not know the specific shop. (These are all safe neighborhoods btw.)

The other article makes some good points about buying "on the street". It seems to have been written by a non-native English speaker (Is the dr in the address for Dominican Republic?), but you don't need perfect English to know a fake/bad cigar from a good/authentic/brand name one. LOL

• 2 months later...

I bought a box of Partagas Superiores (25) for $104 and a box of Monte Cristo #2s (10) for $120 USD in Grand Cayman March 2017. Prices are definitely coming down throughout the islands. Singles will always cost more, but that should be a fair ballpark range in Havana.

I noticed that no matter where we went they were all the same price if it was a regular store front. Depending on what kind, it seemed like cigars were running 10-15 CUC each. (I don't smoke em so I just looked at what other people were paying). A large bottle of Havana Club 7 year rum was 20 CUC, and we also got a bottle of the Havana Club Seleccion de Maestros for 40 CUC.

If you want to get all your souvenir shopping done at once the best place is the Mercado San Jose. It's about a 15-20 minute walk from the port (or a 10 CUC taxi ride). When you get out of the port, make a left and go towards the waterfront-walk along the waterfront and the warehouse will be on your left. It's a huge warehouse and they've got lots of arts and crafts, t-shirts, other types of clothing including local type stuff, the usual souvenir stuff, and there is a little store selling cigars, Cuban coffee (12 CUC for 1 kilo), and a variety of rums. The shops right at the port are small and don't have a huge selection (including the rum-there wasn't any 7 year or Seleccion de Maestros on hand there).

The shops right at the port are small and don't have a huge selection (including the rum-there wasn't any 7 year or Seleccion de Maestros on hand there).

The Museo del Ron Havana Club is about two blocks from the port, they have a store where they do sell Havana Club including the Maestro.

Does anyone know where the closest casa del habano is from the port?

There's one in Havana Vieja at Calle Mercaderes #1202

Also in Miramar (Quinta Avenida and Calle 16)

and there's one in the Habana Libre Hotel in Vedado

08fadc309fd69a0f80ec2d19c7f5aea7.jpg Across from here?

Maybe it's that one mentioned above, La Casa del Habano, La Quinta Ave. 5ta #1407 e/ 14 y 16, Miramar

Do you remember the one at Ave. 5ta e/ 188 y 192, reparto Flores that used to be the Biltmore Club before the Revolution?

Edited by VidaNaPraia