Princess cruiser trying RCCL for the first time

My wife is taking her Girl Scout troop on an 8-night Bermuda and Bahamas cruise on the Adventure of the Seas next summer to celebrate the three girls graduation high school. All three had been in the scouts together since kindergarten and this is how they are going to celebrate heading off into world. My son and I are joining the group as well.

The assistant leader and her daughter have been on RCCL, but the rest of us are frequent Princess cruisers. We chose this cruise for the departure port (sail out next to the Statue of Liberty) and itinerary.

So, after a little long-winded intro, I’m just curious about what to expect. Let me know what your favorite things about RCCL and the ship, what not to miss onboard, etc.

I’ve seen a few posts about upcharge items. Are there a lot of these? Are the activities like the Flowrider and ice skating included or are these upcharge items?

Sorry about all the questions. Just getting excited to get back to sea and to try something new.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Read up on this board about activities on ship. For example, I seem to recall if you want to ice skate you need socks and long pants. Ice skating is included, although hours are fairly limited. No online booking for shows on Adventure but they may pass out tickets for ice shows on first or second day. You don't have to use the specialty restaurants - the main dining room (either fixed seating or MyTime) is included. Water, tea, coffee, milk, some flavored water all included - same as Princess. Flow rider included unless you book a lesson or reserve for your group.

Adventure feels like Island or Coral Princess (but no enclosed pool). Buffet is open shorter hours than Princess. No grill on deck but does have pay Johnny Rockets. Food is pretty similar to Princess but does have an always-available steak (although I am seeing posts here that the menus may be changing). Upcharge items are pretty much the same as you are used to. No paid Sanctuary - adult area is free. Pool towels are not in cabin and need to be checked out on deck and back in by end of cruise. Spectacular central atrium that you are NOT used to.