Money question

floater

I've seen a lot of posts about converting US $ to Cuban. I was wondering if there is any provision for converting Cuban back to US for money you didn't spend.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, but you will AGAIN be charged the 10% penalty. We were not happy about that.

That's incorrect.

The 10% US dollar penalty is only tacked on when coverting dollars TO CUC's. You'll also be charged the 3% fee that all currencies pay.

When converting CUC's back to US dollars (as well as other currencies), you'll be charged just another 3% fee.

We tried not to convert more than we thought we would use and guessed pretty well....at the port, you can buy rum, cigars, and other souvenirs. We were one dollar short using up all of our money and the clerk just sold us what we wanted anyway....the Cuban people were very nice except I found the ones working at bars and restaurants to be rather surly.

• 2 weeks later...

I know that it is also possible to exchange Euros, Pounds and Mexican Pesos for CUCs. Does anyone have experience exchanging coins from these currencies? Or are only bills accepted? I ask because we have currency left over from several trips that we may never use and it would be great to convert them in Cuba, if coins are accepted.