Crown from Brooklyn - Which Airport to Use?

HotJet

We are sailing on the Crown 18 Oct from the Brooklyn pier. We are planning to arrive on an early morning flight and then take a cab/limo/car service from the airport to Red Hook pier.

Which airport would be best to fly into?

Is their a wine/liquor store nearby the pier that we can grab some wine for the cruise?:)

we live in Brooklyn and use any of the three airports depending on cost and convenience of flight.

LaGuardia is the closest and Newark, with the extra tolls, would probably cost the most for your own arranged transportation.

To be honest, living in the area (and flying quite a bit), I find Newark airport the easiest to navigate.

If you are contemplating a limo, I use a service that, instead of meeting me in the airport, I call an 800# when I get to the curb. The car is usually there in about five minutes, depending on traffic. It's much easier than being met in the airport (for which they do charge an extra fee) and then having to walk to their car or wait for them to bring the car around.

My two cents.

October 18th is a Wednesday. You say you are flying in in the morning which would mean during the morning commute. I would NOT fly into Newark as the traffic into the city will be a nightmare.

Either JFK or LGA would be the way to go. I know the traffic between LGA and Redhook will be HEAVY though.

If it was me, I would take a car service from JFK and ask them to make a stop at a store on the way across Brooklyn. Maybe some Brooklynite knows one that is open close to Redhook.

The advantage of a car service over a taxi in this case is, no extra charge if you get stuck in the commute. You will probably have to pay for the added stop though.

Coral - Thanks for the link. It has lots of good info on Red Hook and the airports.

Genessa - Great to hear from someone in Brooklyn and let us know that LaGuardia is the closest. What about traffic or driving distance and ease of getting out of the airport compared to JKF? Since you are from Brooklyn...Do you know of a liquor store near Red Hook that you would recommend? Any hometown tips?

jhaasz - Thanks for the advice about the car service. I love learning good tips from others with experience...the great thing about this board. I like the idea of your 800# service. Can you drop me an email with the contact name/number (I don't think the rules allow posting here...considered advertising...but I'm not sure..new here).

Joedog - Thank you for the advice re commute....must say I didn't really think about that. If we landed about 9:30-10:00....I assume that would be better than arriving an hour before? As suggested by jhaasz also, I like the idea of the car service rather than a taxi....now I need some advice and experience as to which one to use.

Thanks everyone again for your advice. It is really appreciated as we have never flown into NY before. We like the Brooklyn departure for the Crown because it is a short flight for us, about 1 hour. But the travel time and expense and hassle might just offset that advantage over a Florida departure. But...the extra 2 days at sea are nice too.

Still looking for that spot to pick up our wine for the cruise. Bringing wine onboard is one of the great Princess policies...we love to sip a nice Shiraz on the balcony.

Genessa - Great to hear from someone in Brooklyn and let us know that LaGuardia is the closest. What about traffic or driving distance and ease of getting out of the airport compared to JKF? Since you are from Brooklyn...Do you know of a liquor store near Red Hook that you would recommend? Any hometown tips?

Still looking for that spot to pick up our wine for the cruise. Bringing wine onboard is one of the great Princess policies...we love to sip a nice Shiraz on the balcony.

I'm from the "other" side of Brooklyn and don't know where any liquor stores might be in Red Hook. There's a new Fairway market, but while they might sell wine coolers/beer/those new malt beverages, I'm pretty sure they don't sell wine.

As for traffic - it's a crap shoot. We could, in an ideal world, get from our front door to a terminal in Kennedy in 20 minutes. It generally, on a non-accident, non-pot hole repair, non-Mill Basin drawbridge going up, non-marathon, non-Aqueduct Race Track running, takes about 35-40 minutes, but we leave about 3 hours ahead (after watching the local traffic on the tv and checking the parkway out before we get on it).

Same thing for getting to Red Hook from La Guardia. Could be done in 20 minutes, more likely about 40+.

That's why we go with whichever airport has the best flight times/prices, etc.

As far as getting out of the airports - both have taxis available and if you get a car service, they'll know where they're going - unlike me...everytime I pick up or drop someone off at LaGuardia, I head out the wrong way, realize immediately I'm going the wrong way, have to get off at the next exit, go back into the airport, and leave the right way. I've done it about 10 times now. Even when I try to outsmart myself and write down ahead of time which way to pick, I go the wrong way. Kennedy is easier, but bigger, so it takes 2 minutes to get out of LaGuardia, 10 to just get out of Kennedy (not counting traffic).

Enjoy your cruise!

I love sailing out of here jsut so I can sail under the Verrazano!

As for traffic - it's a crap shoot.

That is what I have been told.....:(

That's why we go with whichever airport has the best flight times/prices, etc.

We will probably fly with frequent flyer points, so we will pick the airport with the best times. We will fly Toronto to NY (about 1 hour). Would be nice to land after the morning commute...I'm guessing after 9:30. Then car service from airport to RedHook terminal in Brooklyn and be ready to board the Crown about 11am. (after brief stop for some wine)

I love sailing out of here jsut so I can sail under the Verrazano!

We are really looking forward to seeing and sailing under the Verrazano Bridge...should be a sight to see. :cool:

I live in Brooklyn Heights, which is less than a mile from Red Hook. (Thats why I chose the Crown on 6/23!) LGA is definitely closer to Red Hook than JFK. About $10-15 cheaper by cab. Taxi's are usually cheaper than car services, but traffic is definitely the controlling factor. I would pick the airport LGA/JFK based on the cost of the flight, as long it was more than a $10 difference. Otherwise go with LGA.

In choosing between Taxi and Car Service, you should also consider the amount of luggage you will be bringing. NYC taxis have small trunks. Car Services usually send Lincoln Towncars. If you don't have too much luggage, take a taxi; otherwise, car service. If I'm not taking a taxi, I usually use Cadman Car Service which is based in Brooklyn Heights. 718 858-7717.

As far as the liquor store goes, when comming in from LGA, have the driver exit the BQE at Atlantic Avenue. Heights Chateau Liquors is at 123 Atlantic Ave., only 3 blocks from the expressway and about 7 min. from the pier.

Enjoy your trip!

HOTJET,

LaGuardia Airport is definitely closer to the port. I was part of the group that was invited to dinner on the Crown Princess on 6/10. I live in downtown Flushing right near La Guardia and it took about 40 minutes and costed $40 with a local car service -- no tolls -- via the BQE. 99% highway driving. We got a little lost right near the pier. The signage is a little tricky but we did get to see a little of the neighborhood. I will be sailing on 7/2 and plan to do the same thing.

MARAPRINCE

Maraprince: We will probably fly into LGA since the cost is the same for us.

Travelling Bob: Thanks so much for the info...great to get the inside scoop from someone from Brooklyn!

The car service that you mentioned is basesd in Brooklyn Heights...so do we have to book them ahead of time or do they have cars at LGA? I assume being from Brooklyn they would know where the pier is (Maraprince posted that it can be confusing around the dock area) and the liquor store. Does Heights Liquor have a good selection of wines?

travelling Bob: Thanks so much for the info...great to get the inside scoop from someone from Brooklyn!

We will probably fly into LGA since the cost is the same for us. The car service that you mentioned is basesd in Brooklyn Heights...so do we have to book them ahead of time or do they have cars at LGA? I assume being from Brooklyn they would know where the pier is (Maraprince posted that it can be confusing around the dock area) and the liquor store.

You need to book ahead as they don't always have cars at the airport. Also besides the liquor stores already mentioned, Town Liquors(at Henry and Clark Street) is in Brooklyn Heights and Cadman will know where it is. Also the town cars will charge extra for the stop. The Cab will keep its meter running, The dock area isn't confusing really just follow the signs. Here are the driections for town Liquor from LGA Take the Brooklyn Bridge exit on the BQE make a left. After the underpass the first street on the right is Henry Street Make a right on to it. At the second light town liquor is on your right. Accross the street is a supermarket(ny style small and expensive). After you finish at the liquor store straight ahead on henry to Atlantic Avenue make a right and then a left after the underpass. At the first corner you can make a right, make it and follow it around to the terminal....

Say Hello to Michael at Town Liquors for me...

You need to book ahead as they don't always have cars at the airport.

Thanks smeyer for the info/advice and the directions. Any idea what Cadman would charge for a one-way fare from LGA to pier?

Also besides the liquor stores already mentioned, Town Liquors(at Henry and Clark Street) is in Brooklyn Heights and Cadman will know where it is.

Between Town Liquors and Height Chateau Liquors which would have the better wine selection?;)

Thanks smeyer for the info/advice and the directions. Any idea what Cadman would charge for a one-way fare from LGA to pier?

Between Town Liquors and Height Chateau Liquors which would have the better wine selection?;)

The fares are on the way up. I suspect with the stop in the $60.00 range. You need to call and ask. Personaly I use arecibo car service.

Town and Heights Chateau are very close on selections and price. either would be fine, for people with discerning tastes. It cheaper at the liquor store in the Pathmark shopping center(www.pathmark.com gowanus store) but they don't have a good selection.

Archived