Klaipeda, Lithuania

teets

I was just wondering if anyone has been to Klaipeda, Lithuania. I am on the 8/2/07 sailing of the Century and we are stopping in Klaipeda. If you have been there what did you enjoy doing the most and did you take the cruise shore excursion? Also I understand in Palanga about 25Km away there is a Botanical Park and Amber Museum. Is it worth going to? Thanks for any info you might have.

Terry

I was just wondering if anyone has been to Klaipeda, Lithuania. I am on the 8/2/07 sailing of the Century and we are stopping in Klaipeda. If you have been there what did you enjoy doing the most and did you take the cruise shore excursion? Also I understand in Palanga about 25Km away there is a Botanical Park and Amber Museum. Is it worth going to? Thanks for any info you might have.

Terry

TRY KRANTAS TOURS THEY HAVE ABOUT 4 TOURS ALSO THE SHIP HAS A TOUR THAT HITS PALANGA AND THE AMBER MUSEUM

Thanks so much for your information, I'll try it.

Terry

might help my notes and tour on this port:

Port: Klaipeda, Lithuania

Schedule Date: June 11, 2006 (Sunday)

Schedule Time: 10:00-7:00

Currency: Litas (in-town) Dollars accepted. $1=2.8 LTL

Tour: Celebrity Tour Klaipeda Old Town & Palanga Amber Museum” ($49 p.p)

Money needed: $40 (walking around money);exchange for local currency for self.

Docked: Dane River entrance (10.min walk to Old town)

Other ships in port: 0

Public Holiday: No

Time change: +7 EDT

Average temperature: 60 mean

Things to see:

1)This tour combines the sites of the old city of Klaipeda along with the marvel of the Amber Museum in Palanga with its exhibits of amber pieces, jewelry and decorations. The tour starts with a drive by bus towards Palanga through the central part of Klaipeda you will go by the Clock and Watches Museum, Picture Gallery, Park of Sculptures, 19th century neo-gothic post office and Klaipeda University, former Prussian military barracks and residential areas. Stop at the Botanical Park in Palanga designed in the 19th century. It is home to over 200 species of trees and shrubs. The near Renaissance style palace built by Count Tiskevicius family in 1897 now houses the Amber Museum. An interior visit will reveal the marvels of the Baltic gold: its origins, places where amber can be found, processing and jewelry making. You can take a stroll in the gardens to the beach with sandy dunes passing swans and other birds in the ponds. En route to the beach you will pass Birutes Hill and the Lourdes. The legend of the beautiful priestess Birute, who was taken against her will by Grand Duke Kestutis for marriage and after her death allegedly buried on the hill, which is symbolized by a modest sculpture. A group of children dressed in national costumes playing old Lithuanian instruments will give a 15 min. concert. After a short beach stroll, rejoin the coach and return to Klaipeda. A visit to the Old Town of Klaipeda begins at Theatre Square and its symbol - sculpture of Annchen von Tharau. Walk along the narrow streets of Old Town, see houses where craftsmen, shoemakers, blacksmiths, bakers lived, enjoy old Fachwerk construction buildings, and have some free time to visit stalls with lots of amber jewelry. The sightseeing in the Old Town ends with a visit to one of the Old Town restaurants where you will try a glass of local beer.

Note: Guests must be able to walk approximately 1.5 miles over even, gravel and dirt surfaces and 30 to 45 steps. Comfortable shoes, sunscreen and a hat are recommended. Time permitting; guests will have approximately 25 minutes for shopping and browsing.

2) Theatre (old town)-balcony Hitler makes speech.

3) Market

4) Coming into port/leaving. Curonian Lagoon

5) Castle ruins before old tow and Prussian Castle on Curonian Spit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------10 min walk to old town/tour gives maps, etc.

- There is a delightful craft market along the canal/ However, as we were leaving the ship, a security officer handed us a booklet and map. The Craft Market is about a 10 minute walk along the Dane River at the bridge at Tillu Galve. The Meridian, a restaurant sailing ship, is adjacent to the market area.

-good prices on amber, amber, linens and wood items /get local currency souvenir

-There was one shop in Old Town square that only accepted litas. I changed some Danish money & US$ at a bank next to the tourist office to get the needed litas after we knew what we wanted to buy. The craft vendors will take US currency. Two other shops we bought at took credit cards. There are ATMs in the square too.

Tourist Info office has good maps too. It is a block from the square.

-sail boat Meridian (restaurant) by craft market.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking forward to our day in Klaipeda. After a whirlwind two days in St. Petersburg, we'll be ready for a calmer pace. Lionheart, thanks for sharing your notes. They are a good start for our planning.

I still have two questions:

Has anyone found a good guidebook for the city? I found one book on Lithuania at b&n.com but returned it because it had so little.

Has anyone found any good websites for the city?

Thanks,

Andrea

There's a delightful folk art/craft market about 5-10 minutes walk from the pier. Follow the Dane river to the marketadjacent to the bridge. Vendors accept US money. I purchased a few ceramic, hand painted wind chimes that are unique, also angels and wood carvings. We did this in the morning, and in the afternoon did the ship's tour to the Botanical Garden and Amber Museum.

try http://www.klaipeda.lt

Darcy

I am interested in doing the Curonian strait, seeing the dunes, Nida, etc. but I would also like to have time for the Old Town. Celebritys excursion for the Strait takes up the whole time leaving no time for the Town. I was thinking of renting a car and doing that on our own so we could come back with enought time. Any thoughts on that and has anyone ever rented a car there?

Archived