Debark or Disembark?

MARRIEDATSEA

I have seen these two terms used interchangeably. Do they mean the same thing (leaving the ship?) No biggie...just curious. Is debark just slang for the proper term disembark? I never heard either of these words until I started cruising in 2005.

TIA.

I have seen these two terms used interchangeably. Do they mean the same thing (leaving the ship?) No biggie...just curious. Is debark just slang for the proper term disembark? I never heard either of these words until I started cruising in 2005.

TIA.

debark, disembark (vv.)These verbs are synonyms, and both can be either transitive or intransitive, meaning “to take or assist people off a ship or plane” or “to get off a ship or plane”: The captain debarked [disembarked] several unruly passengers; at the next port the rest of the passengers disembarked [debarked]. Both are Standard

Debarking is the process of removing the bark from a log as the first step in making lumber. The machine is called a 'debarker".

jercal10,

That's exactly what I think of every time I see 'debark!' :D

debark, disembark (vv.)These verbs are synonyms, and both can be either transitive or intransitive, meaning “to take or assist people off a ship or plane” or “to get off a ship or plane”: The captain debarked [disembarked] several unruly passengers; at the next port the rest of the passengers disembarked [debarked]. Both are Standard

Nightmares of Freshman English early on a Monday morning.:eek:

There was a poster here a couple years ago that used the term "dismemberment."

Debarking is the process of removing the bark from a log as the first step in making lumber. The machine is called a 'debarker".

Then there's:

self debark

priority debark

etc

Isn't it also taking the voicebox out of a dog so it won't bark?

Nightmares of Freshman English early on a Monday morning.:eek:

There was a poster here a couple years ago that used the term "dismemberment."

Yeah right, aahhh not english again!!!

So much for having repeat customers.:eek:

jannandjohn,

Nice copy and paste. I believe you should refer to the forum rules for attributing items you share. As you have done, you are violating the forum rules AND breaking the law.

For those who think my comments are out of character; they are. This individual chose to contact me and make some unsavory comments about my family. Nonetheless, they are guilty as charged. ;)

jannandjohn,

Nice copy and paste. I believe you should refer to the forum rules for attributing items you share. As you have done, you are violating the forum rules AND breaking the law.

For those who think my comments are out of character; they are. This individual chose to contact me and make some unsavory comments about my family. Nonetheless, they are guilty as charged. ;)

Whoa! You're taking it rather well Paul. :eek:

I personally prefer disembark. It's more comfortable for me to use than debark. Debark sounds like you're stripping a tree.

Whoa! You're taking it rather well Paul. :eek:

hstrybuf,

Words can't really describe how I feel about them. In my life, I have been angry very few times and there's really only one person that I have true negative feelings for. That one person almost has some company. ;)

Without going into details, which I'm trying to forget, it suffices to say that it's amazing how brave the internet makes people. It's a small world though. They made a comment that I'm 100% positive they'd not have the nerve to make face to face. After reading their posts on this forum and elsewhere, it's apparent that they like to mislead people; they sure aren't what they seem.

hstrybuf,

Words can't really describe how I feel about them. In my life, I have been angry very few times and there's really only one person that I have true negative feelings for. That one person almost has some company. ;)

Without going into details, which I'm trying to forget, it suffices to say that it's amazing how brave the internet makes people. It's a small world though. They made a comment that I'm 100% positive they'd not have the nerve to make face to face. After reading their posts on this forum and elsewhere, it's apparent that they like to mislead people; they sure aren't what they seem.

PaulMedik is referring to a comment I left on his webshots album...I actually went there to look at his cruise pics, AS HE INVITES US TO ON HIS SIGNATURE..and was distracted by another album ..the photo that caught my " sad" eyes was of a family group crouching over a blood soaked deer...I commented that it was a "nice" family photo that made me feel sick!!...I left the comment because there are comment boxes on webshots, it had nothing to do with cruise critics..so no comment was ever intended to be seen here...Paul Medik made it to be by his comments here.

I also never intended to hide the fact that I copied and pasted information for the OP ...it was easy to do it that way for the OP'S question.

I AM SORRY PaulMedik if I offended you, but your pic on webshots offended me.

.and as to your other comment on the way I look, well sorry again, I can't help looking like an ol' bag....I am.

PaulMedik is referring to a comment I left on his webshots album...I actually went there to look at his cruise pics, AS HE INVITES US TO ON HIS SIGNATURE..and was distracted by another album ..the photo that caught my " sad" eyes was of a family group crouching over a blood soaked deer...I commented that it was a "nice" family photo that made me feel sick!!...I left the comment because there are comment boxes on webshots, it had nothing to do with cruise critics..so no comment was ever intended to be seen here...Paul Medik made it to be by his comments here.

I also never intended to hide the fact that I copied and pasted information for the OP ...it was easy to do it that way for the OP'S question.

I AM SORRY PaulMedik if I offended you, but your pic on webshots offended me.

.and as to your other comment on the way I look, well sorry again, I can't help looking like an ol' bag....I am.

jannandjohn,

The internet is a vast network that is able to prevent casual comments such as yours from hiding in the dark. You insulted my father and my children as well as our way of life here in WV by your comments which you sugar coated here. I'm sure you did not expect to read about your comments here; the comments you made are comments you should keep to yourself. If you would not make the comment to my face, why would you think it's OK to do so in a 'comment box?' Cruise Critic is where you ran across my link, and it's the only open avenue for discussing your actions, and I don't mind having light shine upon those who cower in the darkness.

By the way, the 'blood soaked deer' as you called it is what we refer to as 'field dressed.' It is the first step in preparation for consumption.

When you say we 'don't look starving.;' Do you think that deer hunting is for people who are starving? Interesting concept. Interesting especially considering the fact that I have donated hundreds of pounds of deer meat to a food pantry that we have in WV that provides food to those less fortunate. I have never taken any form of game animal 'just for fun' as you stated and no game animal that I have ever killed was taken in an inhumane manner.

I have apologized for many things over the years and I'm sure I will apologize for mispoken words in the future, but the comments I made about you I stand by and will so forever. I tempered the comments quite a bit because I do feel quite a bit more hostility than those words could convey.

Statistically, the album that you referred to on webshots was in the top 1000 in popularity and had received NO negative comments. I intended the album to be for sharing with my relatives so they could see our deer seasons over the years; in the past we were all able to get together to hunt, but we're spread out now and don't all get to hunt together. For your benefit, I removed the album from webshots public display.

I could understand a vegan or a PETA member having issues with deer hunting, but I doubt they would resort to the cold and demeaning personal comments you made.

Getting back near the topic, perhaps you should 'debark' before you decide to comment. Your 'bark' incites anger. :p

All I can do is sit here and shake my head....

Jello anyone?

livtojump,

Sorry for the drama. :o

I have a thick skin when it comes to insults directed toward me. When they're directed toward my way of life I am less tolerant and when they're directed toward my family, I have no tolerance.

I'll have some jello if you've some to spare. :)

If we're done with the back and forth feuding comments....Back to the original thread starting post.

Since both disembark and debark are correct. When you board the ship you may embark, or you may..........................................BARK?

Dan

livtojump,

Sorry for the drama. :o

I have a thick skin when it comes to insults directed toward me. When they're directed toward my way of life I am less tolerant and when they're directed toward my family, I have no tolerance.

I'll have some jello if you've some to spare. :)

No apologies neccessary - you weren't the one I was shaking my head at LOL. Completely understand your position - it would p*ss me off too. Used to live in CO and one year the group of folks I Elk hunted with was shot at by the activists. Same year they shot someone's horse.:rolleyes: Didn't make for a very good trip.:mad:

I am a member of P.E.T.A you know (no, not the "ethical" one ;)

Archived