Traitor's Cove Bear Watch

RNCheryl

It's a good one. Be patient thought. Sometimes bears are out feeding when you get there other times you have to wait. On one of the tours I took out there we waited 40 minutes and you could tell folks were getting antsy. Then we had more bears than we could count. Including one that almost came onto the platform from behind us. That particular group saw 14 bears including 2 sets of females with tripplets...I even thought it was awesome....

Bearbait - I'm also doing Traitors Cove (Island Princess - 8/20) out of Ketchikan, and would like to know if there are any rules governing photography on the platform ...

Do folks bring tripods? Can you use a flash (assuming NO on this one)? Is there enough sun light to shoot a "fast" shutter speed (500?) and freeze the action?

Definitely looking forward to visiting Alaska! And, like many others would also like to extend a great big THANKS for all the good advice, and time that you and others (BQ, Greatam, FTI, Yukon, Chenga, etc) put into this board. The effort is definitely appreciated.

No flash allowed or needed. Unless they change things this year you are actually looking out of holes or slots in a mesh covering that surrounds the platform. It's green fabric mesh. There are plenty of openings so you can get your face or camera up close and take tons of pictures.

The mesh covering keeps the bears from being distracted by your movements.

Tripods were allowed last time I was out there. But if you have a large group out on the platform you are expected to let everyone have a turn/chance at looking out of the different openings. No hogging or camping out..

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/recreation/wildlife_viewing/wildlifeview.htm

Who did you book your tour through? I am looking for a bear watching tour also. I will be in Ketchikan on 8/9. Right now I am trying to figure out where to go -- Anan or Traitors Cove. Budget Queen thinks Traitors Cove is better at this time of year. bearbait - what say you?

Thanks!

Rainee

CC member Jane (will have to look up her user name) forwarded some pictures from her tour at Traitor's Cove last September. There is nothing blocking the view in the pics, so it must be easy to work around the blind. She has absolutely incredible pictures, including bears in the river, on the fish ladder (I think) and tip-toeing across the path behind their group.

I am severely technically challenged. :( How can I paste one or two in a reply? At the moment, the pics are still attached to emails in jpg format. Can someone walk me through?:confused:

Plenty of room for big lenses. I took some professional photog's out there and they were able to get their big lens in there and still get great pics. It's kind of the same set up as the photo blind at Anan Creek.

Except this pretty much covers the whole public viewing area. The bears at Traitors Cove aren't as habituated to humans as those at Anan.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been throwing the idea around of trying to do a bear tour in June 2008 if at all possible. Is there a tour that leaves out of one of the cruise ports (Juneau, Sitka, Skagway, or Ketchikan) or Anchorage that allows time for me to do a bear tour?

Thanks! You all have been a plethora of information.

Sharon W.

Kentucky

I have been throwing the idea around of trying to do a bear tour in June 2008 if at all possible. Is there a tour that leaves out of one of the cruise ports (Juneau, Sitka, Skagway, or Ketchikan) or Anchorage that allows time for me to do a bear tour?

Thanks! You all have been a plethora of information.

Sharon W.

Kentucky

Out of Juneau - fly in to Pack Creek, but maybe too early??? From Anchorage, fly to Denali Park, would need at least 2 days, and if you can get 3, either drive there or go to Talkeetna and fly there with one of their packages. You need the whole day in Denali Park.

You are too early out of Ketchikan and no bear tours out of Skagway or Sitka.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

For those of you still looking for Traitor's Cove bearviewing tours, Southeast Aviation (www.southeastaviation.com) has added Traitor's Cove to their list of bear tours this year. They have experienced pilots and we have been very happy with their flightseeing tours over the last 8 years we've been using them. The Fish Creek/Hyder and Anan Creek tours are awesome too, although a bit more expensive.

Good luck and enjoy the abundant wildlife!

Archived