Hilton Rome Airport was perfect for us

We just returned from a weeks cruise on Costa Concordia sailing from Civitaveccia. After doing some research on this board we decided to stay here for 1 night pre cruise rather than in the centre of Rome and use Costa transfers to the ship the next day. It worked out very well for us.

We landed in Rome at around 10.30 am on Saturday and took about 10 minutes to walk to the hotel. Its well sign posted in the terminal and there are moving walkways. Tip, if you take a luggage trolley keep it in your room for when you return to the airport as there were none there the next day.

We checked in and were pleasantly surprised to find our room was ready. The room seemed to be recently renovated with flat screen TV and a nice bathroom.

The hotel runs a free shuttle into Rome(drops off and picks up at Theatro Marcello) every 2 hours starting at 8 am. We caught the 12 noon bus and had a lovely afternoon in Rome. We used the hop on/hop off bus and saw quite alot. We fell in love with the city and will definitely return.

We caught the 7pm bus back to the hotel.

Our rate included the buffet breakfast the next morning which was excellent and we had time to have a swim in the indoor pool before checking out at 12.

All we had to do then was a quick walk back to the terminal to pick up our transfer.

If you have a few days to spend in Rome then it would be best to stay in the centre but for a short stay like ours this hotel is very convenient.

Julie

I agree. We stayed at the Hilton Airport Hotel post cruise. We arrived at the hotel from Civitivecchia using Rome Cabs as transfer at 9:30a.m. I didn't think we had any chance of getting a rome right away, but when I asked at reception, she checked and said yes, she had a room available. We then took the train (11:00) into Rome and resaw St. Peter's.

Mary Lou

We also love this hotel for the night before we fly back to the USA. Since we do not have to worry about morning transfers to the airport (you can walk from the hotel to the terminals) its very easy to guage the time in the morning. Another benefit is that if you have Hilton Honors Points you can get the room for points and save a few hundred dollars.

Hank

We also enjoyed staying at the Airport Hilton.

The only thing that people should be aware of is that the shuttle into Rome is first come first serve.

We were in Rome at the shuttle pick up spot on a Saturday evening to take the 9pm shuttle back to the hotel. It was a zoo with people pushing and shoving. There was no formal line. It was just a bus door opening with a whole bunch of people in front of it.

We managed to board (with a little judicious elbowing) but there were about twenty people who did not get in. Their choices were to either get the later shuttle or get to Roma Termini to take the Leonardo Express train to the airport (or maybe hire a taxi - very expensive).

The Airport Hilton has a nice dinner buffet - a little expensive but pretty good considering there is nothing else around.

Questions: My father and mother are in their early 80's, and I don't think they could even make the short walk from airport to hotel and back with their luggage. Is there other transportation through the hotel to go back and forth?

What time does the last shuttle run from Rome? 9:00 pm?

Is this the hotel? Hilton Garden Inn Rome Airport

I agree. We stayed at the Hilton Airport Hotel post cruise. We arrived at the hotel from Civitivecchia using Rome Cabs as transfer at 9:30a.m. I didn't think we had any chance of getting a rome right away, but when I asked at reception, she checked and said yes, she had a room available. We then took the train (11:00) into Rome and resaw St. Peter's.

Mary Lou

If we fly into Rome airport,stay at the Hilton for one night then take cab to Civitivecchia to the ship how much/how long would this cab be ?

Keith.

If we fly into Rome airport,stay at the Hilton for one night then take cab to Civitivecchia to the ship how much/how long would this cab be ?

Keith.

Judging by others responses, the cab should take about 45 minutes and cost about 140 Euros.

Sea Island Lady, the hotel is not the Garden inn but the Hilton Rome Airport. The Garden inn is a bit further away and has a shuttle bus from the airport but not a free shuttle into Rome. However I did notice their shuttle bus parked outside the airport hotel so maybe if your parents asked they could use that instead of walking.

The last shuttle from Rome was at 11pm.

UK Cruiser2, which cruise line are you on? It may be cheaper to take their transfer from the airport rather than a taxi. The Costa transfers only cost £17 per person.

Julie

Sea Island Lady, the hotel is not the Garden inn but the Hilton Rome Airport. The Garden inn is a bit further away and has a shuttle bus from the airport but not a free shuttle into Rome. However I did notice their shuttle bus parked outside the airport hotel so maybe if your parents asked they could use that instead of walking.

UK Cruiser2, which cruise line are you on? It may be cheaper to take their transfer from the airport rather than a taxi. The Costa transfers only cost £17 per person.

Julie

Julie,

We haven't booked a cruise yet.Have'nt decided which line,RCI,NCL,Carnival or which itinerary.I'm just looking at the transfer stuff between airport/port and that kind of thing before we decide.

A cruiseline transfer is something I never thought of

Thanks,

Keith

We used Rome Cabs for transfer from Civitivecchia to the Hilton Airport Hotel. It was 120 Euros, with great service. This was a private car. After checking with your cruise ship on the cost of a transfer (which is probably with a group), I would check out Rome Cabs. They also do Rome sightseeing, which although we didn't use them, I've heard good things about them.

Mary Lou

Julie

Thank you for clarifying the hotel. That would have been a mistake to book the wrong hotel. :eek: Hilton Garden Inn is what came up on Google.

We booked this hotel for one day post-cruise. We have an early flight back to the US and staying at the airport seemed like a good idea. Thank you for the information. Now I really feel we made the right decision.

Looks like a nice place to wind down after so many days of touring.

We stayed at the Rome Airport Hilton the night before we flew back. There is a shuttle to and from the airport. We stayed at the Hilton Cavalieri the night before so we arrived late afternoon and walked over to the airport (using the pedway) to check out the food options for that evening. There are a couple of food courts which worked out fine for us - pizza and salad plus we took coffees back to our room.

On day of departure we took the shuttle bus over and we had no worries about arriving on time at the airport.

Kathy:)

• 4 months later...

DH & I are staying at the Hilton Airport Rome for 1-day, post cruise in October '08. While it is a bit pricey, it seems like it can't be beat!

We like the idea of being near Fiumicino Airport and the trains into Rome, plus the hotel offers the option of a shuttle into ancient Rome. We also like the idea of being able to drop our bags off post-cruise, while we can worry about check-in later in the day (if a room isn't available in the morning).

We also like being next to the airport for our 9:00 am departure the next day back to the States!

Thanks for all the information and advice!

Archived