Our Chef's Table Review - both of them

vickie_bernie

We sailed on the Emerald Princess Jan 15 to Feb 4 on back to backs.

From the first time I heard about the Chef's Table I knew I wanted to do it. The first thing I did when we boarded was check the patters and sure enough this is what was written:

"Join Our Executive Chef at the Chef's Table fo an unforgettable experience -- Executive Chef Michele Cozzoli (Joel Directo on 1st sailing) offers a brilliant insight into the workings of the most dynamic, fine dining kitchen on the seven seas; French champagne and hors d'oeuvres at a hot spot in the galley during "rush" hour, followed by a multi-course tasting menu at the V.I.P. Chef's Table in the dining room. A must for the culinary connoisseur! $75 per person including wine pairing. For reservations please call the Dining Hotline, #6219."

to be continued

Vickie,

Glad to hear wonderful things about the Chef's Table. Well worth the $75/person. DW & I will be on the Emerald in April and are looking forward to doing that. Any idea when you will be posting your video of the Chef's Table?

Thanks

We called as soon as we arrived. A few days later we received the following in your cabin mail box.

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Bowne

It is my pleasure to welcome you to the Emerald Princess

Galley and an evening at the Chef's Table

on Monday January 21st, 2008

Please meet the Maitre d'Hotel

Generoso Mazzone

at the International Cafe in the Piazza Deck 5

at 7:00 pm

Joel Directo

Executive Chef, Emerald Princess

We also received this letter with the invite:

Dear Mr. & Mrs. Bowne

Welcome to the Chef's Table. We are cretain you will find it to be a unique and unforgettable dining experience.

In order to maintain a safe and hygienic environment for both passengers and crew, we kindly ask that you review the following public health and safety requirements that must be adhered to during your visit to the galley:

- any passenger with gastrointestinal or respiratory illnes or whose cabinmates or other close contacts have these illneses, are strickly probhibited from participating in this event.

- any passenger who feels sea sick or nauseated at the time of the galley tour, must not participate in the event.

- to prevent the potential for spread of illness, all passengers are required to thoroughly wash their hands before entering and leaving the galley. Correct hand washing procedures will be demonstrated upon your arrival in the galley.

- Passengers are asked to refrain from touching any food items, surfaces and equipment during the galley tour.

- no open toe shoes will be allowed in the galley.

- no shorts are permitted in the galley.

- passengers must ensure that all clothing worn to the event is freshly laundered.

- passengers are asked to stay inside the reserved area at all times.

- smoking is prohibited.

Thank you in advance for adhering to the above requirements.

Yours sincerely,

Michele Cozzoli (2nd cruise chef)

Executive Chef

M.V. Emerald Princess

Like you Vickie, I was so looking forward to dining at the Chef's Table on our 12/6 sailing. Due to the amount of virus on the sailing prior it was not offered on our sailing and I was so disappointed. Hopefully it will be rolled out to all the Princess ships by this summer and we can take advantatge of it on the Sea Princess' TA sailing.

We also received this letter with the invite:

Dear Mr. & Mrs. Bowne

Welcome to the Chef's Table. We are cretain you will find it to be a unique and unforgettable dining experience.

In order to maintain a safe and hygienic environment for both passengers and crew, we kindly ask that you review the following public health and safety requirements that must be adhered to during your visit to the galley:

- any passenger with gastrointestinal or respiratory illnes or whose cabinmates or other close contacts have these illneses, are strickly probhibited from participating in this event.

- any passenger who feels sea sick or nauseated at the time of the galley tour, must not participate in the event.

- to prevent the potential for spread of illness, all passengers are required to thoroughly wash their hands before entering and leaving the galley. Correct hand washing procedures will be demonstrated upon your arrival in the galley.

- Passengers are asked to refrain from touching any food items, surfaces and equipment during the galley tour.

- no open toe shoes will be allowed in the galley.

- no shorts are permitted in the galley.

- passengers must ensure that all clothing worn to the event is freshly laundered.

- passengers are asked to stay inside the reserved area at all times.

- smoking is prohibited.

Thank you in advance for adhering to the above requirements.

Yours sincerely,

Michele Cozzoli (2nd cruise chef)

Executive Chef

M.V. Emerald Princess

more to follow -- menus, experience, and my thoughts...

I will post photos and videos, still in the process of doing that, will be coming soon. I will attach a link on this thread when done.

Vickie and Bernie, We ere also on the 1/25/2008 cruise and we were fortunate enough to experience the Chef's Table. Ours was on January 29,2008 and probably the most fabulous meal we have ever eaten and we have eaten all over the world. I'll be interested to see what you were served and your review then I'll add my two cents worth. We called for reservations the moment we arrived on board. We were told the table was already filled from people from the previous cruise who were doing back to backs. They took our names as they were contemplating and additional night and sure enough in a couiple of days, we received confirmation that we were in!

I'll end here and wait for your review...............

more to follow -- menus, experience, and my thoughts...

I will post photos and videos, still in the process of doing that, will be coming soon. I will attach a link on this thread when done.

Vickie and Bernie, We ere also on the 1/25/2008 cruise and we were fortunate enough to experience the Chef's Table. Ours was on January 29,2008 and probably the most fabulous meal we have ever eaten and we have eaten all over the world. I'll be interested to see what you were served and your review then I'll add my two cents worth. We called for reservations the moment we arrived on board. We were told the table was already filled from people from the previous cruise who were doing back to backs. They took our names as they were contemplating and additional night and sure enough in a couiple of days, we received confirmation that we were in!

I'll end here and wait for your review...............

Hi Kathy, glad you got in on the chef's table too. A few people told us that they too were told that it was filled with people from the back to back. But I can't believe that was true because there were about 70 doing the b2b. And we didn't have any at our table except us. Did you have any at your table?

They did three chef's table the first sailing and two the second sailing. Of the 9 at our table on the second sailing all except us were told that the table was full and they were waitlisted, so I guess that is what they just say.

Generossa said they usually do two a sailing sometimes three.

I wanted to add that we were asked when we made the reservation if we had any food allergies.

We were told during the galley tour that each dinner is different. Yes there are some similar items but some differences too.

Okay here is the menu for the first dinner on the Jan 15th sailing

Emerald Princess

Monday January 21st

Executive Chef Joel Directo

Blue Crab margaria with Avocado & Mangos

Tartar of sterling silver gbeef fillet in sesame cones

fontina cheese and white truffle mini quiche

buckwheat toasts with caviar and creme fraiche

Porcini mushroom risotto with broiled herb-stuffed swordfish cornucopia

Strawberry and cracked pepper sorbet served with grey goose vodka over it

Trio of beef, veal, and pork tenderloin on medieval spiked flambe roaster

jus, salsa verde, bearnaise sauce and cafe de paris butter

charred cherry tomatoes, today's market vegetables

and creamy mousseline potatoes

Potted sheton with port wine reduction

candied walnuts and rosemary biscotti

Iced Ameratto parfait and marsala scented sabayon foam

Coffee or tea with chef Joel

Triumph of symphony bon bons

On the day of the first chef's table... we dressed in pants and a nice top, we were told not to dress up formally as we would be wearing lab coats and going into the Galley.

We showed up at just before 7 in the International Cafe. There was a rack of lab coats, white ones. We looked like scientists.

Generossa came right up to me and said hell Mrs. Bowne-- which shocked me because he had never met me, but he certainly impressed me. He then got us lab coats, the coat I was given was big for me and I had to roll up the sleeves, Bernie's coat was too small, we looked like a pair.

Once we all were there and had our coats on we were taken upstairs to the dining room on the 6th floor, we walked thru the dining room all the way to the opposite end. Everyone was looking at us!

We entered and were directed to the sink, there were three there and we all had to wash our hands.

Generossa talked here about the galley and how it is washed down completely from floor to ceiling after each meal (three times a day). Everything is stainless steel and even the lights are covered so they take a hose to it as he showed us the drains in the floor.

We then walked to the back of the dining room (where the bartender was in a caged area pouring drinks - you can see this in my video). We turned right and walked all the way to the end. here we saw waiters and junior waiters entering getting food and drinks from both the anytime dining room and traditional dining room

Champagne was opened and we each were given a glass. Generrosa then introduced us to executive chef Joel Directo and Mr. Tim Ellis (First Purser Food and Beverage). Joel introduced the first appetizer, blue crab margarita with avocado and mango that was served in a martini glass.

the second appetizer was the beef tar tar, which looked very interesting in the tray that it was served on. I was a little hesitant as it was raw beef, but oh my how good it was I actually had too. There were lots, and many left over.

The foutina cheese quiches with white truffles was next. They were about 3 inches in diameter and was good. Again there were lots left over. I think I had a second one of these too.

Next was buckwheat toasts with caviar and creme fraiche... now I know caviar, and sure I've tried it, but it really isn't my cup of tea. But this was very good, I really enjoyed them... and the campagne to wash them down was helpful. Again I think I had two!

While the appetizers were served Joel explained the operation of the galley, along with Generossa explaining all the restaurants that they service and how many people they serve. Not to mention all the crew and all the different nationalities there as well.

Mr. Tim Ellis then explained how they go about purchasing food for this large vessel and how far in advance they have to order. It all was very interesting and they welcomed questions.

I am posting in segments because CC is very slow tonight and I don't want to loose this and have to retype.

Well are bellies are starting to get filled, but we are saving ourselves for the main course.

we are led out of the galley and I should say that all of the staff that were working were very friendly and all waved and said hi. From the dishwashers to the prep guys, to the drink makers, the bartenders and all the waiters and junior waiters. many of our waiters that had served us prior to this night were all say hi to us personally. Again when I post my video link you will see this.

We are taken thru the dining room again, all heads turn again. Led down the stair back down to the 5th floor dining room where we all take off our lab coats. heck with all the food we ate we should of kept them on, to protect our clothes.

We sat a table of 10 that was beautifully decorated with flowers and for some reason these large glasses that had tall bread sticks in them. Princess get rid of the breadsticks, they are in the way of looking the people who are across from you. In fact we had them remove them from the table on the second chef's table we did.

Our head waiter Stephen from Mexico was so very attentive -- I've never had such good service even in the best of restaurants.

Generossa came over and presented the white wine he would be serving. Now one thing I should say is that Generossa makes you feel so comfortable that you feel like you are at his home and he is personally your host. He cares that much! Sorry I can't remember the wines, probably because I was drinking too much of them.

Out came the Risotto with Porcini Mushrooms with broiled herb-stuffed swordfish cornucopia, oh my -- again so good, but I resisted and didn't eat the entire thing, heck it could of been a main course.

They then served some sherbet - strawberry and cracked pepper. yes Pepper, but the pepper just enhanced the taste. Them Joel came around and poured Grey Goose Vodka on it, not a large amount, I'd say about 1/8 cup!

A red wine was then served to go with the main course; however if you wanted just white they were happy to keep filling your glass.

Chef Joel came out carry this medieval spiky thing!! There were three spike flambe roasters that were placed on a table beside ours, where he then flambed the meat on the spikes. It was a very cool thing to see. Again I have this on video.

The spikes had a trio of meat, beef, veal and pork all tenderloins and the base had the sauces and potatoes and i think the cherry tomatoes. The meat was served to us and it was like "butter" melt in your mouth. The entire table then had to state which meat they liked best. Vegetables were served and again there was a lot of food left over.

Okay now I am full... oh but here comes the cheese course!!!

A small round dish filled with melted Sheton (unsure of spelling) that had a port wine reduction on it. They used an entire bottle of port to make this reduction!! It was served with candied walnuts and rosemary biscotti.

So you'd think I was too full now, right? Well guess what, not totally.

A lovely dessert wine came out, i know this one because we fell in love with it at a wine tasting a few years ago on Princess and buy it often at home. The dessert wine is a Chilian Sauvignon Blanc called Late Harvest.

The Pastry chef came out (and I am sorry I forgot his name - cause of course I am drunk now :eek: ) and he served the dessert which was Iced Amaretto parfait, with marsala Scented Sabayon Foam, and it was all served in a beautiful in a sugar spun bowl... amazing and so pretty. The pastry chef explained how he does it and the burns to prove it.

Also they served these lovely bon bons that were chocolate cups with an ice cream and cream mixture. Again yum.

I was blown away by the food, every course was top notch.. the best.

Generossa gave all the women a rose and presented us with the Princess Cookbook. The ships photographer then came over and took a picture of the table and the Chef and Generossa. Generossa personally delivered the photo to us on the last night in the dining room. Again a nice touch.

The total cost was $75 per person. Was it worth it? For us yes, but it isn't for everyone.

We loved the experience so much we decided to do it on our the second sailing.

That review will follow tomorrow as my husband is snoring next to me and I should sign off the computer before he wakes up and tells me to give up my addiction to Cruise Critic.

Hello everyone -- I had to have dinner first before I wrote this otherwise my tummy would growl too much.

On the last night of our first cruise at dinner, Bernie and I discussed what we were looking forward to on our second sailing. When I cautiously said "are you interested in doing the Chef's Table again" and Bernie quickly said SURE. Great I thought.

So when Generossa came to our table shortly thereafter to give us our photo we said we were interested in doing the Chef's table again. He said no problem he would take care of everything, and he did. A few days later we received our invitation to attend the Chef's Table on Jan 31st. This was the second Chef's Table for the sailing. I am not sure if they had a third, but I don't think so.

We arrived at our appointed time and met up with the other couples doing the Chef's Table. We knew what we getting into, but it was great seeing everyone else experience it for the first time.

Again we were led into the Galley by Generoso all decked out in our lab coats, my being big again and Bernie's being too small. We washed our hands and listen to Generoso explain the galley again. We stood behind and actually learned some new stuff, guess we missed it the first time.

(I appologize to Generoso I've been spelling his name wrong... sorry :p )

This time Chef Michele Cozzoli who had just returned from his vacation (skiing in Austria). As he explained the daily process of the meal prep you could see how proud he was of his crew and the food he delivers.

We were served the same champagne, and wines throughout the dinner.

This time we were served tuna tartar with wasabi (but it wasn't hot) with pickled ginger in sesame cones. I had two (remember the pattern).

Then some foie gras in a terrine form was served on toasted Brioche with apple chutney. I am not a huge fan of foie gras, but I was determined to try everything. It was good, but still not a fan. :rolleyes: so only had one serving.

The Fontina Cheese quiches were served again. But I only had one (I am cutting back :eek: ).

Then came the caviar again this time served on Bliss New Potatoes with sour cream and then caviar. Well I had two, had some catching up to do.

Of course Generoso kept egging Bernie to have more and more and Bernie would laugh and say "sure". Again Generoso was like a good host that takes enjoyment from seeing others enjoy good things.

We then went back out of the galley. I videotaped many of the crew -- I promise I will get it up soon, after I finish with the reviews.

We were sat at the same table and had Stephen again as our head waiter. He welcomed us back and it felt like we were old friends. This time the table consisted of nine people and it was a square table that had the beautiful bouquet of flowers again and those dreaded glasses with the long breadsticks. Thankfully one of the table guest requested to have them removed so we could see each other.

The risotto was a served with fresh goat cheese (now I am not a fan of goat cheese but it was very subtle and made the dish very rich). The risotto had julienne of red radicchio with a langoustine. It was so pretty (had to take a picture). Many of us pondered how to eat the mini lobster, or should we, can we, and if we can how? We figured it out and enjoyed that. I didn't finish the dish as it was a large serving and very filling and I had to save room!

The sorbet came out again, but it was Lemon Sorbet, but thankfully it was served with the Grey Goose Vodka again!!

Now one of the reasons Bernie was really looking forward to the meal was because we had been informed that the main course was going to be veal -- one of Bernie's favorites.

Chef came out with a huge platter with a veal shank and veal tenderloin. He carved them and served each plate right there in front of us. We felt so special. The veal shank was to die for.... in fact I think we had seconds of that. They came around with a mixture of market vegetables and we nibbled on those, but truely all we wanted was the veal.

Next came the cheese course, one of my favorites. Baked Camembert was served (a long thin slice) on a kind of puff pastry then baked. It was served with a port wine reduction and walnut bread. Also we were given a bit of truffle honey on the side if we wished. Wished heck I am in! That was very very tasty.

The Pastry Chef came out again and served us Passion Fruit Dome Cake that had a Whiskey soaked Raspberry soft centre and mango glaze. Again served in a beautiful sugar spun dish.

bon bons again... I took one. Bernie took Three!!! and when I made a comment he said jokingly they were his. I said no problem and gestured to Stephen to come over and whispered to him "are there any more bon bons?" "of course" he said and put the entire plate in front of me... ha ha Bernie now who has more. Don't worry I didn't eat any I was way too full.

Again we were given a rose, and a cookbook signed by Generoso and Chef Michele, and then we posed for a picture.

That night was the Island Deck Party and thank goodness because I was so stuffed I needed to dance a bit to get the food to settle and to burn off a few calories.

A few nights later Generoso gave us the photos and commented that we are the first ever couple to do two Chef's table with two different Executive Chefs. Now don't we feel special. And we certainly did!

Thank you Princess for the great experience and thank you everyone for patiently reading.

Archived