Process for flying home early without a Passport?

In one of the several recent passport threads, the question came up "How do you fly home if you don't have a passport?"

I'm sure someone here has had to do this recently, can you please share what the process was like?

It's obviously easier if you have a passport, but just as obvious, you aren't going to be stuck for the rest of your life on a Caribbean Island, just because all you have is a BC and Drivers License. (Perhaps to the disappointment of some!?:))

I'm hoping a real life story (and the fact that you are indeed back home) will cut down on some of the FUD being tossed around...

Thanks,

Theron

In one of the several recent passport threads, the question came up "How do you fly home if you don't have a passport?"

I'm sure someone here has had to do this recently, can you please share what the process was like?

It's obviously easier if you have a passport, but just as obvious, you aren't going to be stuck for the rest of your life on a Caribbean Island, just because all you have is a BC and Drivers License. (Perhaps to the disappointment of some!?:))

I'm hoping a real life story (and the fact that you are indeed back home) will cut down on some of the FUD being tossed around...

Thanks,

Theron

Are you planning on getting kicked off?

:D

Okay. You made me go look up an acronym.

Fear, Uncertainty, Disinformation.

Man, I learn something new every day on these boards. :p :D

Thanks,

Theron

You realize that if it wasn't for some of the FUD being tossed around, these boards would probably be a lot less active and perhaps a bit more boring.;):D

:D Well this thread has been entertaining so far!

I'm just hoping that someone who has had to go through the unfortunate incident of flying home early from the Caribbean, without a passport, can let us know what the process entailed.

We certainly know that you won't be abandoned and stripped of your US citizenship, but as is often thrown around the passport threads, there are probably some extra administrative hoops to jump through.

CC is a source of information and education, I'm hoping that this specific question can be answered by someone who knows first hand, so we can all know the real story.

Theron

Okay. You made me go look up an acronym.

Fear, Uncertainty, Disinformation.

Man, I learn something new every day on these boards. :p :D

Hmm, that's interesting, I've always heard it defined as Doubt... If you hit Google with FUD, all the tip hits return Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt.

But in this case, that works just as well. :)

Theron

I'm just hoping that someone who has had to go through the unfortunate incident of flying home early from the Caribbean, without a passport, can let us know what the process entailed.

We certainly know that you won't be abandoned and stripped of your US citizenship, but as is often thrown around the passport threads, there are probably some extra administrative hoops to jump through.

CC is a source of information and education, I'm hoping that this specific question can be answered by someone who knows first hand, so we can all know the real story.

Theron

I don't have a real live example but if you lose your passport the embassy of your country (whoever you are a citizen of) would issue you a temporary passport to return to your country.

If you get kicked off I am sure there are arrangements in place for a one time return into the US (i.e. contacting US Immigration). If you miss your ship I reckon you would handle it like a lost passport.

So tell me: are you planning to be wild on your next cruise?

Hmmm I´m not sure if you could handle it the same way like a lost passport.

If you loose your pasport there would be some data and a passport number for you on file that would help to get a temporary passport replacement. In the case you never had a passport they won´t have these informations on file and I doubt they could handle this in the same way as if you had lost your passport.

But then I don´t know anything about how US administration works;)

Hmm, that's interesting, I've always heard it defined as Doubt... If you hit Google with FUD, all the tip hits return Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt.

But in this case, that works just as well. :)

Theron

Internet Acronyms Dictionary lists both definitions with Disinformation being the first. It also seemed to fit better in this case so that is the one I chose to go with. :)

I'm betting that they would confirm that you were a cruise passenger, and waive the requirements --especially if there was an emergency of some kind. I really doubt that it would be anymore hassle than dealing with the government in any other area! I'm not saying it would be NO problem, but you will get home. Have no fear of that!

First order of business is to contact the Cruise Lines Port Agent who "should" assist you in getting documentation and possibly finances to return to the US. Be prepared to pay INS or Customs fees, I forget which, should you be entering the US in violation of their policies. The fee used to be $300 per person. Yes, it can be done.

• 2 weeks later...

Still wondering if anyone with first hand experience in returning to the US from a Caribbean port without a passport could share their story of how it is done.

With the WHTI passport exemption made permanent now, there is a lot of bad information floating around out there.

Theron

Still wondering if anyone with first hand experience in returning to the US from a Caribbean port without a passport could share their story of how it is done.

With the WHTI passport exemption made permanent now, there is a lot of bad information floating around out there.

Theron

First hand from Taiwan I lost my passport - spent hours with Amex travel and the US trying to find a solution - the only way to fly back to the US is with a passport. In the case of some countries that means traveling over 1000 miles to get to the one US consulate/embassy, waiting, and getting a *temporary* passport to return... I was lucky and after hearing this, doubled my effort, and found my passport...

Here is what the US says about Haiti as an example (Labadee) - note the part about weeks to get a passport - though I'm guessing your turnaround is not more than 2 *business* days (in the case of Taiwan, they would not be able to do anything on the weekend).

I wonder if they (RCL) would put you on a subsequent cruise out of Labadee if you missed the boat and were stuck(???) - I doubt it - because it's up to you to catch up with the ship...

"ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS: Haitian law requires U.S. citizens to have a passport to enter Haiti. In the past, officials have waived this requirement if travelers had a certified copy of their U.S. birth certificate. The U.S. Embassy strongly recommends that U.S. citizens obtain passports before travel to Haiti. Once in Haiti, an undocumented U.S. citizen can experience delays of several weeks for the issuance of a passport, as it is often more difficult to establish identity and citizenship overseas than in the United States. U.S. Citizens traveling to and from Haiti must present a valid passport when entering or re-entering the United States. We strongly encourage all American citizen travelers to apply for a U.S. passport or “passport card” well in advance of anticipated travel. American citizens can visit travel.state.gov or call 1-877-4USA-PPT (1-877-487-2778) for information on how to apply for their passports.

I guess I should have been a little more specific... given the current situation with the WHTI, I am really looking for firsthand accounts of a cruise passenger who sailed without a passport, having to fly home early from a Caribbean, Mexican or Bermuda port.

It certainly stands to reason that if you lose your passport while traveling in a non-WHTI area (as in Taiwan), that you would have all sorts of difficulties...

But my suspicion (which is what I would like to have confirmed by firsthand, actual experience) is that there are procedures in place, or perhaps under development, that will accomodate cruise passengers without a passport who need to unexpectedly return home via airplane.

It's obvious that you won't be abandoned to become a homeless person in the Caribbean, but I would really like to learn the facts, so that we will all know and have the information available to dispel FUD. :)

Theron

By the way... I think you would have to actually hide in order to miss the boat in Labadee! Maybe not a bad idea... if you stashed enough food from the lunch line! ;)

Theron

Theron

This bears the question...do you really want to have to take the extra time to go through the extra administrative hoops, especially if you're needing to leave due to an emergency??

IMHO, just because OUR government says you don't have to have a passport, doesn't mean it isn't a good idea to have one anyway, especially if having to deal with a foreign government.

In My opinion, I hope they make you wait and make the process difficult and long. (you is being used as a euphemism for anyone)

In this day, a passport while not technically required in every port of call etc, it is your only sure way to get what you want as quickly as possible.

Get with it, pay the fees and get over it, it'll make your life easier.

This bears the question...do you really want to have to take the extra time to go through the extra administrative hoops, especially if you're needing to leave due to an emergency??

IMHO, just because OUR government says you don't have to have a passport, doesn't mean it isn't a good idea to have one anyway, especially if having to deal with a foreign government.

I think Theron is not actually the one who wants to travel without a passport, but he´s just looking for an answer to his question to eliminate all the guessing about what happens when ......

However this will put this thread a bit off the original topic (again) but I think you (NC Mtn Boys) bring up a good point that´s often missed in all the passport threads. The usual use of a passport throughout the world is to travel and enter foreign countries and not to get home. I can´t travel to the US without a passport, but I don´t need it coming back home.

I think it´s a rather unique situation to need a passport coming back home to your own country.

The usual use of a passport throughout the world is to travel and enter foreign countries and not to get home. I can´t travel to the US without a passport, but I don´t need it coming back home.

I think it´s a rather unique situation to need a passport coming back home to your own country.

Yes, in all of my worldwide travels, I've had to show my passport every time to leave the U.S., and also when I entered the foreign country. And again when I left the foreign country and when I arrived back in the U.S.. It's probably a little different on cruise ships if you're needing to fly home, especially from the Caribbean. There may be additional administrative hoops one can jump through, but with all of the complaints about the hassles of travel today, I can't imagine anyone wanting to burden themselves further because they didn't have a passport when they (unexpectedly) needed it.

Once when I was in St Maarten on a cruise, I went to Maho Beach to watch the planes land. Long story short, the taxi didn't show up when he told me he would to take me back to the ship, and I thought I was going to miss the ship. I was nearly to the point of asking someone...anyone...sitting at the beachside bar if they were a local and if they'd give me a ride back to the ship when the taxi didn't show up after three telephone calls trying to arrange one. Finally it did show up, at nearly 4:00pm (the ship was to depart at 5:00, and all were to be onboard at 4:30. I got onboard at 4:20). Anyway, I had my passport with me on the trip, but I didn't have it with me at the beach, I had left it in my stateroom! You can bet I was sweating it. I wasn't sure what would have happened had I missed the ship and needed to fly from there.

My September Liberty cruise goes to St Maarten again, I do plan to go back to Maho Beach to watch the planes land, but I plan not to cut it so close this time on the return, I hope! :D

We all have our passports and travel with them BUT when we get off the ship and are going to the beach we DO NOT take them with us..don't want them to get stolen or lost..so IF something happened and we were to miss the ship and had to fly home it would be interesting to know how it would be handled..

Personally I think that is a valid question..

And please don't answer by saying take your passport with you...

We all have our passports and travel with them BUT when we get off the ship and are going to the beach we DO NOT take them with us..don't want them to get stolen or lost..so IF something happened and we were to miss the ship and had to fly home it would be interesting to know how it would be handled..

Personally I think that is a valid question..

And please don't answer by saying take your passport with you...

I don´t know if this a standard procedure or even if it´s true, as I don´t have any personal experience and this is just from what I read on the boards and people reported back it happened to them.

I´ve heard that once you are not onboard at sailaway they will send security to your room and get into the room safe to see if there´s passports. They will hand them to the port agent who will take care of the folks left behind.

Greetings. I make my living as a U.S. Customs and Border Protection Agent.

Here is one thing I don't think a lot of people know. You don't board an aircraft destined to the US without a passport. Boarding will be denied or the airline is fined.

I highly endorse the suggestion to get a U.S passport. This one of the most valuable documents you will ever own if you travel.

Regards,

Tom

Archived