Accra Beach Question

kt0331

Been reading the reviews for various beaches in Barbados - Accra keeps popping up as a good option. How far is it from where the ship docks in Bridgetown? And are there umbrellas to rent? Is it easy to get a cab back? Any other tips/advice are welcome!!

Accra keeps popping up as a good option.

How far is it from where the ship docks in Bridgetown?

And are there umbrellas to rent? Is it easy to get a cab back?

How far? 3-4 miles, I should think,maybe less!

15 mins. by car/taxi,from the Port

- and that includes getting thru/around Bridgetown traffic.

Umbrella's ...yes,I think so, although I haven't seen many in use.

Chairs definitely, and I'm fairly sure the Chair Guys also offer umbrellas

although it may be a case of limited quantities.

There's shady trees along the beach,as well!

Cab or bus is easy to get back to the Bridgetown area.

There's a taxi stand right there, as is a bus stop.

Accra is very central,along the South Coast.

Thanks to aplmac's prior advice, we visited Accra beach - it was great, nice wave breakers near shore - lots of different heights of waves - small and medium - shady trees at the beach, lots of parking and transportation options and surprisingly not crowded. Our kids (8 and 4) loved it and we did too - it was a great way to end the day on the island (we had rented a car and toured on our own) and recommend the beach. Also lots of commercial establishments near by for food and services as well.

Cheers

jaysue

Thanks to aplmac's prior advice, we visited Accra beach - it was great, nice wave breakers near shore - lots of different heights of waves - small and medium - shady trees at the beach, lots of parking and transportation options and surprisingly not crowded. Our kids (8 and 4) loved it and we did too - it was a great way to end the day on the island (we had rented a car and toured on our own) and recommend the beach. Also lots of commercial establishments near by for food and services as well.

Cheers

jaysue

Thanks for the report!

We also plan on renting a car...would you say it was somewhat easy to get from the port to Accra?

I've been researching Accra and have seen lots of pictures of chairs and umbrellas...did you notice this as well?

Thanks,

Chris

Thanks for the report!

We also plan on renting a car...would you say it was somewhat easy to get from the port to Accra?

I've been researching Accra and have seen lots of pictures of chairs and umbrellas...did you notice this as well?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris, FWIW if you are just going to Accra, I would stick with a taxi (obtained outside the gates) option - it is close to the port and if it is just the one destination you are going to, renting a car is not necessary. We rented a car to see a large part of the island.

It is very easy to get to Accra from the port - we took the road marked H7 and once we got close enough to the ship on the return, we did it by line of sight. No doubt there is a better way but it was easy.

I did notice lots of chairs - not so many umbrellas though - I think there is a person who ensures chairs and umbrellas are set up - if you search theis forum you will find more info on the beach.

Cheers

jaysue

What is the cost for renting a car?

We obtained some quotes and they ranged from about US$60 to $95 for the day (including the $10 license fee) - one thing to note is that you need to book in advance as the agency at the cruise port gets quite busy. We actually rented the car from (and I know it seemed risky) a "person" who has a fleet parked around the side of the terminal building and appears to run a business just picking up the agency turnaways and other walk off passengers looking to rent (we did this since it was too late to rent from the agency right outside the door - Stoutes Agency. The person's name is Stephen and the car was quite reliable and roadworthy.

We had a great time sightseeing across the Island - stopped at a wildlife/nature refuge, Bathsheba, Andromeda Gardens, Round Hill Inn in Bathsheba for lunch and then off to Accra Beach. This could have been achieved with a private taxi/tour service as well BTW - we just decided we wanted to do it ourselves.

Things to consider:

Left side driving

Road signs are shall we say "spotty" to "non-existent" - the locals are happy to help though and the driving style was very polite and controlled.

Lots of roundabouts - first exit is same as North American left, 2nd exit is same as going same direction you entered from and 3rd exit is a North American right.

A good passenger side navigator is very helpful to getting around

Enjoy

jaysue

water was pretty waves were great.... not much for walking on the beach, they are building something ... and it;s blocked off, and the aother side has a restraunt on the hill, but it also was blocked off, so you have no where to wonder off too... would chose somewhere else if i had a chance.... wanted to go to sandy lane... where tiger got married , wish we had stuck to that plan....:)

water was pretty waves were great.... not much for walking on the beach, they are building something ... and it;s blocked off, and the aother side has a restraunt on the hill, but it also was blocked off, so you have no where to wonder off too... would chose somewhere else if i had a chance.... wanted to go to sandy lane... where tiger got married , wish we had stuck to that plan....:)

The government decided to build a BoardWalk so the tourists (and locals I assume) would have a nice comfortable spot to walk along the beach on the south coast. That's what they are building (I think it's a waste of time, as when I walk on the beach, I want to walk on the beach, not a boardwalk). Not sure when they are going to finish it.. but we shall see..

and the Restaurant on the Hill (yellow building) at the other end is Champers. You have never been able to walk around that little bit of rock on that side, but I guess you could go off the beach and walk on the main road to the next beach over.

Sandy Lane Beach, while it would have been a longer walking stretch, may not have been good when you were here as those waves you talk about had an impact on some of the west coast beaches and washed away much of the sand. The last time I was at Payne's Bay and the public beach entrance by the new Sands Condos you could walk to Sandy Lane beach as their was no walking area.. just water and rocks.. that was about a week and 1/2 ago.

The boardwalk they are building doesn't effect Accra Beach (at the moment anyway.) . it's further towards the western side. Unless you are going to want to walk for miles up and down that area, then you should still go to Accra Beach

I went to Accra today, for the first time in awhile

and I'm pleased to report beach umbrellas in abundance!

Aplmac - You were leaving the beach as we were arriving.

Please note that today was a bank holiday in Barbados, which send scores of locals to the beaches. the number of umbrellas out on the beach was not normal (thank goodness) but at least you know that they are there if you want them. the sea was good and the weather was fantastic.. sunny skies .. just lovely..

alpmac, how do you rate Accra and Crane? I have been reading so many reviews about these two beaches, and still haven't decided which one we will go visiting.....Help me to decide. We have a three year old daughter and 60 year old grandmother, maybe the Accra is a better fit? But I am so eager to see how beautiful it is with Crane.....

The pink sand was showing up fairly well, Monday!

alpmac, how do you rate Accra and Crane?

I have been reading so many reviews about these two beaches

and still haven't decided which one we will go visiting.....Help me to decide.

We have a three year old daughter and 60 year old grandmother, maybe the Accra is a better fit?

But I am so eager to see how beautiful it is with Crane.....

Sounds to me like Accra might be the better choice for you and a 3 yr.old and Grandma.

Crane is maybe 10-15% nicer

but is it worth having to trek 60-70% further distance-wise?

That's for you to decide.

One thing's fer sure: Accra won't disappoint you - nor the 3 yr. old! :)

This was Accra, just yesterday,Thursday..

Accra-857.jpg.dfda3b175f1b2bed663274e525c73ddc.jpg

This was Accra, just yesterday,Thursday..

you where there yesterday tooo... We went in the morning.. left by 1045 (the big guy had a golf tourney).. It was lovely.. we swam out to the reef.. very nice..

you where there yesterday tooo... We went in the morning.. left by 1045 (the big guy had a golf tourney)..

It was lovely.. we swam out to the reef.. very nice..

We didn't get there til just after 11 -and stayed until nearly 2!

Too hot,though ..despite shade under the big Casuarina!

Was glad to get home and into the shower!

Water's still a bit nippy. LOL!!

Aplmac - You were leaving the beach as we were arriving.

Please note that today was a bank holiday in Barbados, which send scores of locals to the beaches. the number of umbrellas out on the beach was not normal (thank goodness) but at least you know that they are there if you want them. the sea was good and the weather was fantastic.. sunny skies .. just lovely..

I was going to comment on how busy the beach looked. When we were there in December there was only a handful of people on Accra. Its was just lovely!!! Excellent Beach!!

aplmac,

Question for you.. You know where the cruise ships dock...well instead of making a right to make your way towards Accra, what is the beach that is to the left of the pier?? maybe 20 minute walk along the main road there.

Question for you.. You know where the cruise ships dock..

..well instead of making a right to make your way towards Accra,

what is the beach to the left of the pier??

-maybe 20 minute walk along the main road there.

That would be Brighton/Malibu/Brandons Beach (it goes by several names -don't ask!)

That would be Brighton/Malibu/Brandons Beach (it goes by several names -don't ask!)

You're the BEST!! Thanks so much!! On our way back from Accra we had our cab driver take us to a local eatery and he dropped us off at this little place right along the beach there. After a while, we decided to walk back to the ship (it didn't seem very far--we could see it) but didn't realize how much of a walk it really is. More so just because we were out in the hot sun for a good part of the day and then to walk in it....wow...it gets HOT! But we did meet a few locals on the way back which made the time go by rather quickly.

We had a GREAT time and can't wait to go back again next Feb! Barbados has got to up there as one of our fav destinations. Absolutely stunning!

On our way back from Accra we had our cab driver take us to a local eatery

and he dropped us off at this little place right along the beach there. ===> WEISER'S !!

After a while, we decided to walk back to the ship (it didn't seem very far--we could see it)

but didn't realize how much of a walk it really is. ===> More than it looks!

More so just because we were out in the hot sun for a good part of the day

and then to walk in it....wow...it gets HOT! ===> Welcome to the Caribbean!

We had a GREAT time and can't wait to go back again next Feb!

Barbados has got to up there as one of our favorite destinations.

- Absolutely stunning!

He took you to Weiser's, from the sound of it!

Little place.

Not much to look at from the outside, but quite nice when you're there.

White picket fence out front.

They do a Lunch Buffet on cruise-ship days!

Weiser's is a quiet little beach hangout, within shouting distance of your ship

greatly underestimated by most visitors, who are generally looking for something more 'glam'!

If it were my place to run, I'd have it all visibly dolled-up

so cruisers would see my huge sign from their ship saying WEISER'S CRUISERS or sumthin like that

...as well as run a free 5 min. shuttle service to and fro...

-----------

yes, it gets hot here...which is why I recommend taking a taxi,most of the time

but no! everyone seems to think they'll walk it everywhere.

Suit yerself!

- of course a lot depends on The Day, what time of year it is, cloud cover

..how much weight you need to lose, etc. - :D

We'll be happy to have you back here, next February.

Please come ashore and have a good time.

Weiser's On The Bay (as it's listed) tel.number

is (246)-425-6450

-their fax number is (246)-435-0424

Manager's name is Andrew, last time I spoke to him.

It's not fer everyone, but it is close-by!

here's some pics of Brandon's Beach I took recently,

even though you don't see much of Weiser's!!

Brandons-45.jpg.1dfbf6a1d09ceafbbbac5574fe961df6.jpg

670734887_Weisers-46.jpg.aec89ce08225f07b2c4b8e34dca0c63a.jpg

Archived