Packing a Suit - Advice for Suitcases and Carry-Ons

Since there seem to be new regulations, and subsequently a lot more concerns about space and packing...

I thought I would share this technique for packing a suit or just a jacket.

I've done this for years, and it saves so much space.

This is also for those people who are considering NOT packing a suit or tux - because they are concerned that garment bags are too big or bulky, etc.

With this technique, there is no packing reason to leave the suit behind.

This barely takes up any space, and retains the integrity of the suit's shape.

(I'm sure this would work for women's suits as well).

Click on this thumbnail, then on that page (to the right) where it says "Full size"

to get to a 5x7 printable size, in case you want to try the visual directions:

2418632550079337728IlbOCO_th.jpg

Here's one directly linked:

ab10c86a1e62d3adc11daace368c5ea1.jpg

Hope this helps someone in the future. Pass it on!

Glad to hear the positive responses!

I've done this for years, as a lot of times I have to travel with minimal luggage (but needing a suit) for work.

I have even packed this way successfully in a backpack!

I do think that Happy ks' idea of folding the pants in thirds around the jacket might be an additional great "tweak".

One other thing I've done if I'm really stuffing the suitcase or carry-on "jam packed" is:

Put a couple of the rolled up socks (for packing) in the shoulders to reinforce the structure.

Otherwise, a few moments in a bathroom with the hot steam running, and I've never had a problem.

(Except for envy from other co-workers who didn't pack this way - don't worry, I taught them how for next time).

:D

• 2 weeks later...

i can't imagine this method prevents wrinkles. it looks like it would cause more wrinkles. i think i will try the method now since we aren't leaving for 3 weeks, and see what happens. i will let you know.

thanks for the tip

madi

• 2 weeks later...
i can't imagine this method prevents wrinkles. it looks like it would cause more wrinkles.

More wrinkles than what?;)

The idea is you don't have space for lugging a garment bag.

This is the option if you want to pack a suit in the suitcase or carry-on you have.

The other option is no suit at all.:(

And yes, rather than folding it up in a suitcase (which will cause all sorts of wrinkles on the front in undesirable places), this creates space.

If there are any small wrinkles, as I said before, steam it in the shower for 10 minutes.:D

With the regulations and luggage charges on the airlines now, this is going to become more and more common.

Thanks for the info! this is perfect for us. We were thinking of renting a tux for DH but I'm not sure if they would carry his size he is 6'8" tall. I would rather pay a couple of $ to have it pressed than to carry a garment bag or check luggage.

Yeah I was gonna say that the laundry prices are not usually that bad. Cheaper than our dry cleaners at home even! So I am expecting to get the suit pressed no matter what. Still cheaper than renting a tux! :D And that's the last I'm gonna bring that up, I swear!

I will definitely try this folding method, thanks for the tip!

• 10 months later...
This is the way to fold a suit!!

Curt Jerome Wild gives step-by-step directions to fold a suit that even fits in a carry-on. (So if your luggage somehow has issues, you can relax because the suit is in the carry-on.:D)

It works too!!! My hubby followed these directions when we went to a special event in Las Vegas and the results were amazing! We didn't even have to steam the suit at the hotel. And it had been packed that way for OVER 24 hours.

Curt's advice rawks, so print out the pictures from the thread and you will be ready to go!

Just adding this from another thread...;)

• 10 months later...

CJW already knows that I tried this method and told him it works (probably last year, Curt). So for you who are leary, it DOES WORK:D:D. Now the next objective is to get DH's suit and my evening gown and whatever tiny thing I can fit into my purse, along with the cosmetics, etc. into a purse/bag that will fit under my seat since the airlines now think they need to charge us for carryon stowed in the overhead compartments. What the H are the compartments for???:p I agree that the airlines really need to enforce the carryon size - and yes, I acknowledge that each airline has a different measurement maximum, but there is a "minimum maximum" or vice verse that could be applied to all airlines - so that someone doesn't carry on the kitchen sink/guitar/keyboard/42"TV set, etc. It it doesn't fit in the overhead easily, then it has to be checked, and a surcharge could be assessed.

Off my soapbox now;)

CJW,

This plan of yours really works. I found this information about a year ago and tried it. It is great. I didn't need to steam DH's suit, I just took it out and hung it up and it was ready to go. I passed on the information to a friend and it worked great for him also.

• 1 year later...
CJW,

This plan of yours really works. I found this information about a year ago and tried it. It is great. I didn't need to steam DH's suit, I just took it out and hung it up and it was ready to go. I passed on the information to a friend and it worked great for him also.

My only question is how long the item can remain packe like this without wrinkling terribly. Thinking of shipping luggage for 14 Night Hawaiian Cruise November 26, 2011. Will be paying for each piece son I want to keep it to 2 pieces if possible and only carry meds/and jewelry.

I found this a while ago about packing, seems strange at first but it works for us

The best way to pack demonstrated on TV... by a Cabin steward..It works a treat

What you do is bottom layer small items... in a layer.. Men's socks can get packed into their shoes .. its amazing how many you can cram in shoes

next layer

Trousers. waist band in the case on the side lay the trousers across the case with the leg part hanging out of the other side of the case.. Looks odd but stay with me...

so maybe 3 pairs of trousers legs hanging out.

Next layer could be t shirts. Neck in the case but bottom hanging below with the arms open.. again looks odd.

Now the science bit. Fold the legs of the trousers back into the case over the t shirts... thus avoiding a sharp crease.

Now fold the bottom of the t shirts back up over the legs of the trousers. Which are now folded into the case.

Do the same with the jackets and shirts you can rotate the way round you drape bits out of the case and fold back in. Over the layer of other items.

Anything in danger of creasing pop in some tissue into the fold.

Coming home roll everything up... to pack its very quick and easy to get out to wash.

Pack how you will wash... whites together... etc and drycleaning in first...

that way when you get home its ready to get into the machine. As the sorting is done when packing.

Sandy in Spain

I found this a while ago about packing, seems strange at first but it works for us

The best way to pack demonstrated on TV... by a Cabin steward..It works a treat

What you do is bottom layer small items... in a layer.. Men's socks can get packed into their shoes .. its amazing how many you can cram in shoes

next layer

Trousers. waist band in the case on the side lay the trousers across the case with the leg part hanging out of the other side of the case.. Looks odd but stay with me...

so maybe 3 pairs of trousers legs hanging out.

Next layer could be t shirts. Neck in the case but bottom hanging below with the arms open.. again looks odd.

Now the science bit. Fold the legs of the trousers back into the case over the t shirts... thus avoiding a sharp crease.

Now fold the bottom of the t shirts back up over the legs of the trousers. Which are now folded into the case.

Do the same with the jackets and shirts you can rotate the way round you drape bits out of the case and fold back in. Over the layer of other items.

Anything in danger of creasing pop in some tissue into the fold.

Coming home roll everything up... to pack its very quick and easy to get out to wash.

Pack how you will wash... whites together... etc and drycleaning in first...

that way when you get home its ready to get into the machine. As the sorting is done when packing.

Sandy in Spain

This is called bundle packing. The one thing that is missing from the explanation is the center bundle. You want something that fits in the center before you start folding clothes over, like a package of socks or underwear or rolled up bathing suits. Anything that will keep the first folded item from creasing.

I think it works well, but if your case is chosen for inspection I would worry everything will be a mess afterwards. I do use this type of packing within packing folders, those are not disturbed in a suitcase (mesh sides, they can see what is in there.

Archived