Now with the crew area tours lets get one VERY important term down...

ohioNCLcruiser

Now that NCL is offering crew area tours I thought I would say something that bothers a lot of crew members and its so easy to fix. Using the correct term will make you look smarter and less of a "typical tourist." In fact some people on the Bridge might take offense if you don't use the correct word.

Its a ship not a boat! These are not fishing row boats in your Grandparents back yard pond.. :D

Thats all..

James

Just in case anyone is curious. I found this on the net:

"per the National Martime Museum the difference is :

The Historic Ships Committee have designated a vessel below 40 tons and 40 feet in length as a boat. However, submarines and fishing vessels are always known as boats whatever their size."

I thought it was interesting.

I do tend to correct people when they say "boat" instead of ship when pertaining to a real ship/ Then they think I'm a b**ch. But I don't care becasue I'm right!:D

Sandy

(I also call the ship "her," or "she". never "it"):rolleyes:

... as if the crew cares what we call the ship? I would imagine the list of passenger transgressions is huge- and this would be at the bottom. And if we're touring the crew areas do you really think they're going to hear us- or care? And are we talking CREW areas or the bridge?...

Its a ship not a boat! These are not fishing row boats in your Grandparents back yard pond.. :D

This reminds me of a t-shirt we bought when visiting the USS Constitution in Boston. It says, "Don't say ship, say frigate." Comes in handy when I drop my plate in the buffet. ;)

I so totally agree ... hearing the word "boat" when it should be "ship" actually tweaks me a bit. I, too, will correct people ... with a smile ... but that sometimes doesn't work. whatever. :cool:

"Cruising 101" should include the correct terms.

An HD told us once ... "You can fit a boat on a ship, but you can't fit a ship on a boat" ... ;)

Ship not boat

Steward not Stewart, unless that also happens to be your Steward's NAME

Cabins not rooms

Cabins on the STERN not the AFT!!! AFT is a direction not a place. Funny I have not seen anyone talk about a cabin or suite on the Forward, and seldom have I seen them mention one on the BOW, unfortunately I have heard the Room on the Front of the Boat!

Ship not boat

Cabins on the STERN not the AFT!!! AFT is a direction not a place. Funny I have not seen anyone talk about a cabin or suite on the Forward, and seldom have I seen them mention one on the BOW, unfortunately I have heard the Room on the Front of the Boat!

Actally, stern is only the very back outside portion of the boat/ship. A cabin looking out the port side is not on the stern, it is an aft cabin. Aft is generally an adjective, not a direction.

e.g. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&defl=en&q=define:aft&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title

at or near or toward the stern of a ship or tail of an airplane;
Aft, in naval terminology, is an adjective or adverb meaning 'towards the stern of the ship', when the frame of reference is within the ship

Further clarication:

The difference of aft and stern is that aft is the inside (onboard) rearmost part of the vessel, while stern refers to outside (offboard) rearmost part of the vessel.

Archived