Warning - FLL Rental Car Shuttles to Port Everglades

crusinmama06

If you are planning to rent a car in Fort Laurderdale for the day and drop it off at the Port Locations for a Port Everglades cruise - PLEASE, double check and then triple check that the rental car company has a shuttle to port.

I researched the rental car companies and decided to go with Enterprise Rental car because it had a "on site" location at FLL airport and a location "at" the port.

I verified with them that I would be picking up a car at the airport and returning it the next day at the port location. They assured me there were shuttles at both locations.

I took the airport shuttle to the airport "Car Rental Center" location. Picked up our Enterprise car. Told them I was dropping it of at the port location the next day so I could take a shuttle to Port Everglades...they said fine.

I arrived the next morning at the "Port Location" for Enterprise. I asked them when the shuttle would arrive, they said "No shuttle, not since 9/11...we'll have to call you a taxi". :eek: The taxi driver was already at the location and with all of the port traffic it cost us $32 without tip to make the short ride from Enterprise to the ship. :eek:

According to the taxi driver, security is tight and no rental company shuttles are allowed in anymore. We did see shuttles, but they seem to be from the hotels - Ramada, Embassy Suites, Courtyard.

So before you rent a car - BE SURE it has shuttle drop offs at the port or be prepared to pay for a taxi.

Bummer, sounds like you have a legitimate beef with Enterprise.

From the Broward County-Port Everglades web-site:

A number of car rental firms are licensed to do business at Port Everglades. The Rental Car Center at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL) houses many rental car companies under one roof that share a shuttle bus to and from Port Everglades. We suggest you confirm shuttle service with the car rental service prior to reserving a vehicle.

/////

Yikes! What did Enterprise have to say about this? Have you contacted them? I am now going to stress about that exact thing. We have rentals from Budget scheduled to a location near the port and were planning on getting dropped off and picked up at the pier by the shuttle...I'll call them tomorrow and see what they say.

Hi , have been at FLL Port in December and took three times a car from Thrifty. This car rental has an office together with Dollar directly at the port entrance at miami road. They have two shuttle transportation of course for free between the docks and the office.

For mny part I can recommend that firm.

p1040559jq2.jpg

Edited by Dinotoll

We have rentals from Budget scheduled to a location near the port and were planning on getting dropped off and picked up at the pier by the shuttle...I'll call them tomorrow and see what they say.

Budget has never been an issue.

////

According to the taxi driver, security is tight and no rental company shuttles are allowed in anymore. We did see shuttles, but they seem to be from the hotels - Ramada, Embassy Suites, Courtyard.

That's hogwash. I took the Thrifty Shuttle in January no problem (well, insane traffic, but no problems with anything in Thrifty's control ;)).

If I were you I'd be making a right royal stink with Enterprise, demanding a refund of my taxi fare or some equivalent compensation. Several employees knew of your plans and yet did not inform you they didn't have a shuttle. If you have any of this in writing all the better.

Just got home today from Ft Lauderdale on a cruise with Princess. We stayed an extra day and rented a car from National at the airport. The Car Rental Center at FLL had numerous shuttles running. They are large green buses. Dollar/Thrifty had their own shuttles because they are located off the airport premises. (I saw nothing for Enterprise) We were off the ship at 8:20 and even with 6 large ships in port, we were in our rental car by 9am and heading out to explore. The shuttle driver even carried all the luggage on and off the shuttle bus. It was very easy and efficient to use.

Dave

Ok, now there are two threads about this

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=925900

But there seems to be conflicting information. From what I can piece together, seems Budget's off airport location is shuttling TO the port and people are getting PICKED UP from the Port from numerous agencies including the airport car rental shuttle. Wonder if there actually has been a recent change whereas some rental car companies, Enterprise and the airport rental car shuttle, are no longer dropping off at the port.

We are counting on you to sort it out Michele!! ;)

Edited by jillyfish

Has any one rented from thrifty/dollar at Port Everglades and dropped off at MIA. The best price I could get online was $72 (1day rental)for a Sebring. I was wondering if they give a better price at their location. I am renting on the Feb 22nd.

In the past in FLL, we have always rented a car at the airport, returned it to the airport the morning of our cruise, then taken a taxi to the port. There were no worries about taking a taxi because it was only 3 miles and a $10 fare.

But you returned your car "right at the port" and your taxi ride was $32?!? Something doesn't seem right about the taxi fare. Do you think the driver did something dishonest? Your trip was probably about 1/2 mile? How could it be $32? Even if there was a lot of traffic? Maybe the driver was mad that you had such a short ride and he tried to make up for it?

I would be more upset with the taxi company.

Has any one rented from thrifty/dollar at Port Everglades and dropped off at MIA. The best price I could get online was $72 (1day rental)for a Sebring. I was wondering if they give a better price at their location. I am renting on the Feb 22nd.

For rentals with Thrifty, use the Orlando Magic Card code - 004M001010. While there's a $25 drop-off fee if you rent at Port Everglades and drop off at MIA, it might still be cost-effective with the discount - and the code also gives you a free second driver, with was a huge plus for us.

But you returned your car "right at the port" and your taxi ride was $32?!? Something doesn't seem right about the taxi fare. Do you think the driver did something dishonest? Your trip was probably about 1/2 mile? How could it be $32? Even if there was a lot of traffic? Maybe the driver was mad that you had such a short ride and he tried to make up for it?

We returned our car at Thrifty's office right at the entrance to the port. We're not just talking heavy traffic - were talking every square inch of road used up by a vehicle. It was a madhouse. It literally took us 15 minutes to get from the corner of the street to the entrance of the lot - probably all of 20 feet. If traffic was anything like it was the day we were there, I could see a metered taxi fare running to $32 very easily.

I contacted enterprise regarding our reservation. They stated they do not have a shuttle (as stated by previous poster) They also stated they recommend one person drop the family at the port while the other returns the car. A taxi from the airport for one is 10.00 she said. I know when I made this reservation they said they had a shuttle. Thanks for this information, I hate surprises like that:rolleyes:

Yes, Alamo shares with other companies. We arrived on American. We followed the signs to the Rental Car Shuttle after getting our luggage. Once we walked out of the terminal, we had to go the right past the end of the terminal building. There are signs. The bus goes in one driveway and out the next one. So you need to cross two side streets/driveways. It is marked well and it was really easy. If I recall the actual spot to pick up the bus is between two terminals. If you are using Alamo, I would recommend that you use the Kiosh to check it after you arrive, then you just go pick out a car. (So you do not need to wait in the long line) Fast and easy.

Real easy to drop off the car and get on the free shuttle to the port.

Where do I pick up the airport rental car shuttle at port everglades (i think alamo shares with other rental companies). We'll have luggage for 4 and not like to be walking aimlessly, although very good at it. LOL.

You said port everglades, so you're talking about the cruise terminal, right? Most rental car companies do not have shuttles at the cruise terminal that go to their rental location at the airport. By far, the easiest, quickest way to get to the airport, or airport car rental locations is to just hop in a taxi. The taxis are right there. The airport is very close, and except for a few reports, it is very cheap. Our taxi fair to FLL has always been about $10 plus tip. It's not worth the hassel of waiting for a shuttle.

Maybe what you meant was a shuttle from the airport terminal to the offsite airport car rental locations? When you go to the airport luggage claim area, just follow the signs. You and just about everyone else will be looking for either a taxi or a rental car, and there will be signs everywhere.

Edited by Lou33

Most of the car rental agencies at FLL share a shuttle bus that will transport you from Port Everglades to the airport as jogoffee posted. The signage is everywhere directing you to the pickup location, the shuttle bus is well marked and runs quite frequently to the airport car rental center. Piece of cake. ;)

/////

I went and changed my reservation with Enterprise to Thrifty. Not to save 20.00 in cab fare,but I did'nt want the hassle of being at port waiting with 2 kids for my husband to arrive:( Thanks everyone for this information.

Most of the car rental agencies at FLL share a shuttle bus that will transport you from Port Everglades to the airport as jogoffee posted. The signage is everywhere directing you to the pickup location, the shuttle bus is well marked and runs quite frequently to the airport car rental center. Piece of cake. ;)

/////

/////

I think there is a lot of confusion on this thread about exactly *where* there is a free shuttle. Jogoffee did not post that there is a free shuttle from the cruiseport to the airport car rental. He said there was a free shuttle from the airport to the airport car rental. Just like in every other major airport in America.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't imagine that the rental car companies would run regular scheduled shuttles from the cruiseport to the airport rental locations. Conceivably, if people wanted a free trip from the cruiseport to the airport terminal, they could hop on a free shuttle to the car rental, not rent a car, then hop on the next free shuttle to the airport terminal.

But the bottom line is I wouldn't bother with any cruiseport shuttle, free or not. For me it's not worth the hassel, waiting, extra stops, when a cab is inexpensive and convenient. The airport terminal shuttle to the offsite car rental is a different story. We use that shuttle because it is always waiting at the terminal and it gets us to the car rental in 5 minutes.

Edited by Lou33

I went and changed my reservation with Enterprise to Thrifty. Not to save 20.00 in cab fare,but I did'nt want the hassle of being at port waiting with 2 kids for my husband to arrive:( Thanks everyone for this information.

I'm not sure how you would be avoiding any hassle? I think Enterprise suggested that your husband drop you and your luggage off at the cruiseport first to make it easier for you. That's what I would do if I had a family of four. The alternative is that your whole family, and all of your luggage needs to go back to the airport, return the car, then your whole family and all of your luggage needs to get on a shuttle for the cruiseport (which may not run as frequently as the terminal shuttle, and it probably makes extra stops at *all* the cruise ships).

You would have basically the same situation if you took a taxi from the car rental to the cruiseport. A taxi should be $10/taxi, not $10/person. There should be a large taxi available that could fit your whole family for one fare. But of course it might be easier if your husband just drops you off first. If he takes a taxi to back the cruiseport he should be back with you in 15 min or less. But if you all go back to the airport, it wouldn't be any quicker, it would take longer

Just book the cheapest rental car that you can find, take a taxi, and don't worry about it.

On this board I see many posts where people are fixated on getting free shuttles. But they may end up paying $50+ extra for a hotel with a free shuttle, and $20 extra for a car rental with a free shuttle.

Just my opinion...I'm just trying to help.

Edited by Lou33

I

Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't imagine that the rental car companies would run regular scheduled shuttles from the cruiseport to the airport rental locations.

Guess what Lou, your wrong. It's probably been quite some time since you've been to Ft Lauderdale airport, a lot has changed.

The car rental companies fund the shared ride shuttle bus that not only services all terminals at the airport, it also runs to and from the cruiseport. When all of the car rental companies went under one roof at FLL (opposite terminal 1) , the county mandated that they eliminate the individual courtesy buses and all chip in towards the operation of the shared ride shuttle. Most of the car rental companies bought into it. A few haven't (Enterprise to name one). The shared ride shuttle has sharply decreased the amount of vehicular congestion in and around the airport. It works.

I concur with your comments about using a shuttle, a cab is certainly cheap, easy and quickest way to go. Be that as it may, the rental car shuttle is there, it's free to those with reservations.

//////

Edited by Bequia