Juneau Kayak

rubytue

I've read lots of posts about kayaking, so I do realize Juneau isn't the best option. However, we are on a round-trip so anything on the Kenai peninsula is out, as is Ketchikan for other reasons. But we need to go kayaking :D

So has anyone used Alaska Boat and Kayak Center (juneaukayak.com) and particularlly the self-guided Mendenhall Lake Paddle (http://www.juneaukayak.com/mendenhalllake.html)? I am also considering the Tongass Wildlife Kayak trip, but my husband would prefer the self-guided option. Also, do you know if dry suits are provided? They aren't mentioned, but I am hoping.

And as an FYI, I actually own my own 17' sea kayak that I take out in the Chesepeake Bay. :D We can both self-rescue, but not roll. I hope to master the roll this summer, but it won't happen by May. My one paranoia is that we roll into 42 degree water. Its not a very rational paranoia, as I've never rolled in the bay LOL

And as an FYI, I actually own my own 17' sea kayak that I take out in the Chesepeake Bay. :D We can both self-rescue, but not roll. I hope to master the roll this summer, but it won't happen by May. My one paranoia is that we roll into 42 degree water. Its not a very rational paranoia, as I've never rolled in the bay LOL

You aren't going to have any problems in Alaska given your experience, and not being able to roll isn't a factor at all. The tours are all in very stable waters, the operators move dozens of people through daily with no problems, and you'd really have to try hard to end up in the water. :)

As far as Juneau goes, there is very good kayaking in the area; I just think its hard to get to for cruise ship pax. The options for those folks (IMO) Are very basic and limiting, especially for people that have some kayaking experience and are used to larger, more challenging bodies of water. It just all depends on your expectations.

I think you are totally right to go with the self-guided option, when available.

Just keep in mind too that you will both be in a tandem kayak, which I personally hate. :rolleyes:

I can't comment specifically on your tour, but I'd be very surprised if they outfitted you in dry suits.

Have fun whatever you do.

Just keep in mind too that you will both be in a tandem kayak, which I personally hate. :rolleyes:

I can't comment specifically on your tour, but I'd be very surprised if they outfitted you in dry suits.

Actually, the self-guided one does say "single or tadem," but I'm not sure if its their choice or our choice. If its ours, I'd much prefer single. for the normal reasons, but we also have a bad history in tandem water vessels. On our very first vacation together, we were canoeing in Maine and got in a little tiff over the direction to go. Long story short, we got back to land and beached with his end first. He got out and just walked off. :eek: I ended up in the lake :eek: Ahh well, I married him anyway and its one of those stories we laugh at now. And we refuse to canoe together :D

Anyway, I got to thinking about it an realized that give the water temps in Alaska and the likely expierence level of most folks on the tours, the kayaks available probably have really high secondary stability. They don't want someone dumping as much as I don't want to dump.

Actually, the self-guided one does say "single or tadem," but I'm not sure if its their choice or our choice. If its ours, I'd much prefer single. for the normal reasons, but we also have a bad history in tandem water vessels. On our very first vacation together, we were canoeing in Maine and got in a little tiff over the direction to go. Long story short, we got back to land and beached with his end first. He got out and just walked off. :eek: I ended up in the lake :eek: Ahh well, I married him anyway and its one of those stories we laugh at now. And we refuse to canoe together :D

That's great you get a choice. I've inquired on many tours and they refuse to do singles for "liability reasons."

You roll in a sea kayak??

Yup! Not by choice though. I think some whitewater folks like to roll for fun. I want to learn to roll for safety reasons. If you go over, its far better to be able to keep going and right yourself than to have to self rescue. That is a real PIA! Paddle floats, bailing, shimmying up the paddle. No thank you! With a roll the problem is fixed in 1/2 second. With a self rescue, its a long time in possibly cold water.

Anyone want to see my yak? :D http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v263/231/17/874745595/n874745595_3379431_667.jpg I actually found it for free on craigslist! Still can't believe it. Nice lady was getting too busy with the grandkids to maintain her 5 kayaks.

Not bail as in bailing out water with a tin cup. A wet exit. I've since learned to paddle directly perpendicular to the beach for awhile after you launch. And if you pass by a big motorboat, steer into the wake. In the lower-48 we would have just laughed it off, but that Alaska water leaves you cold for quite awhile.

oh. :eek: Yeah, that could be a problem.

FWIW, I did find out they rent dry suits ($25), but say its probably not needed.

Now what should I do between 6:30 and 10:30 pm? Too late for whales?

I've used Juneau Boat and Kayak twice. Once with a friend, self-guided, each in a single, once with two friends in a tandem, me and the guide in a tandem.

I didn't really find the guide necessary, but I live here, so I knew where I was going. I had this fantasy that she would paddle and I would sit back, but no such luck!

Both trips were just out of Auke Bay, up to Fritz Cove as far as Spuhn Island. I've seen harbor seals, lots of eagles, porpoises and blue herons--they seem to nest on a small rock island, covering it. No whales, but the other side of Auke Bay is Indian Cove, and I've seen a whale in that close on a whale watching tour.

I never wore dry suits. If it's raining, a waterproof hat and coat is necessary of course, but unless you want to be very safe in case you do go in, I wouldn't feel it's necessary. Perhaps if you did paddle on Mendenhall Lake, where it's much colder, and you feel the cold easily.

I'd be torn on which option to recommend. Next time a friend comes to town, I'm definitely doing Mendenhall Lake. You get a chance to see icebergs and the glacier face closer up than any other option, but the wildlife options are much more limited to some birds and maybe a beaver or bear on shore.

I think the lake is more expensive, since they have to transport the kayaks there, while Auke Bay is where their shop is.

The ocean is very still, and the toughest part is getting out the boat harbor itself with any boat traffic. You can see the glacier in the distance on clearer days.

Now what should I do between 6:30 and 10:30 pm? Too late for whales?

Are they open that late? Do whales go to bed?

tee harbor,

I have been looking at the self-guided Mendenhall Lake kayaking with Juneau Boat and Kayak. The price includes raingear and boots.

In your experience, are they a reputable company? They have been very helpful through email, but I always like to hear from someone who has actually used a company before I send money.

I'm mostly interested in Mendenhall Lake because it allows me to get closer to the face of the glacier. Becky said that we should stay 200 yards back from the glacier because of calving, but 200 yards is closer than I will get by viewing it from the land.

Here's the link to the Lake Mendenhall package, but it will be less expensive to rent the kayak and pay the fee for transporting it to the lake. Since I'm not familiar with the area, I'm going to get the full package.

http://www.juneaukayak.com/mendenhalllake.html

I'm mostly interested in Mendenhall Lake because it allows me to get closer to the face of the glacier. Becky said that we should stay 200 yards back from the glacier because of calving, but 200 yards is closer than I will get by viewing it from the land.

http://www.juneaukayak.com/mendenhalllake.html

Actually, you can walk right up to the face of Mendenhall.

Actually, you can walk right up to the face of Mendenhall.

I didn't know that. What's the best way to get there? The hiking trails that are on the Visitor's Center website look like they don't go close to the face of the glacier.

I never wore dry suits. If it's raining, a waterproof hat and coat is necessary of course, but unless you want to be very safe in case you do go in, I wouldn't feel it's necessary. Perhaps if you did paddle on Mendenhall Lake, where it's much colder, and you feel the cold easily.

Thanks. That reassures me! Like I said in the OP, its not a very rational paranoia. I don't tip generally, so it really makes no sense to be worried about tipping in a calm lake. Can you tell me if there are generally motor boats out there (Mendenhall Lake) or is it just kayakers, canoers, etc?

I'd be torn on which option to recommend. Next time a friend comes to town, I'm definitely doing Mendenhall Lake. You get a chance to see icebergs and the glacier face closer up than any other option, but the wildlife options are much more limited to some birds and maybe a beaver or bear on shore.

What are the chances of seeing nifty wildlife with another option? Realistically, the kayak trip wouldn't be likely to see whales, would it? Not to sounds like a mainlander, but that would be really cool! Eagles - eh. I work in the middle of one of the biggest eagle nesting grounds on the east coast. Whales, on the other hand, have always elluded me. Every time I have gone whale watching, its been a really nice (or really cold depending on the season) boat ride.

The ocean is very still, and the toughest part is getting out the boat harbor itself with any boat traffic. You can see the glacier in the distance on clearer days.

Oh, good to know. I'm actually hoping to send the inlaw on the tadem, guided tour. They love kayaking, but I'd rather go with just my husband :D

Are they open that late? Do whales go to bed?

LOL From what I have read, sightings aren't as regular in the evening. Plus, I think most of the tours are 4 hours, and if the boat leaves at 10:30pm, last call is probably 10pm, so there wouldn't be a ton of time. I wish the tour ran 1-5:30 instead of 2-6:30. I think the timing would give us more options.

I didn't know that. What's the best way to get there? The hiking trails that are on the Visitor's Center website look like they don't go close to the face of the glacier.

I've only been once and then only for a quick visit. I bet others will offer suggestions on the best way to get there. But it's very doable.

Sorry, I just got home from toiling in the salt mines!

Wanderbug, I've had no troubles in my dealings with Juneau Boat and Kayak. Their business has been slowly growing, always a good sign here where it's tough to keep a small business going. These specific tours have been new the past couple of years, but they supply the kayaks for tour companies, so they probably just decided to cut out the middle man.

The Mendenhall Lake tour sounds great. The map will really help someone orient themselves. It sounds as though they're giving you info on getting out of the kayak in this big outcrop where you can view the glacier like no one else. (Without the helicopter)

When I was a child going to the glacier on school field trips, this outcrop wasn't even visible, hidden under the ice. Now, as I'm middle-aged, it's huge. Arctic terns nest on it, so I don't know how much of it you can hike on, but it'll be a whole world on it's own.

You cannot hike to the face. That's in the lake. You can hike to the sides, but it takes several hours. Look at this schedule for a guided hike with Above and Beyond. The access for the West Glacier Trail can't be reached by the glacier shuttle so some arrangments would be necessary.

Can you tell me if there are generally motor boats out there (Mendenhall Lake) or is it just kayakers, canoers, etc?

There's very little traffic. Just a few kayakers and the hardy souls paddling the big canoe excursion. The float trip leaves from the lake's shore, but then enters the river. I don't believe motor traffic is allowed; I've never seen a speed boat out there.

What are the chances of seeing nifty wildlife with another option? Realistically, the kayak trip wouldn't be likely to see whales, would it?

Your odds are much better with a whale watching trip. The captains use sonar, and keep in radio contact with every boat on the water. If there's a whale out there, they're going to know. When I saw porpopises, it's a sudden movement out of the corner of your eye, the fins popping in and out, and then they're gone. A whale watching tour guide knows the whales habits, so they lurk and alert you that the whale will be surfacing.

However, there's just such a special feeling of being that close in the water to an animal, though, compared to a motor boat. The harbor seals seem to enjoy playing hide and seek, but probably wouldn't do that with a puttering motor.

Not to feed your swamping fears though, but there's also an issue of getting too close to a whale, not even by your own fault. A friend told me about coming up the channel in a skiff, and suddenly a humpback breeched right in front of them. I've never heard of a whale being that close to town, let alone seen one--although we do get killer whale pods occasionally--yet, she had that experience. (It was a conversation about not wanting to die in embarrassing ways.) A couple of years ago, a nature photographer drowned in his kayak within full view of the entire town and Douglas Island. A lesson about kayaking alone, but his family suggested he could have been swamped by a whale. Very sad, but no one will ever really know. (He wasn't wearing a dry suit, or carrying any sort of communication device.)

I've seen whales in the later day from the shore, so I'm not really sure about the time frame issue.

tee harbor,

Thank you for the excellent and detailed information. The self-guided kayak sounds perfect for us. We're whale watching in Icy Straits, going on a float plane in Ketchikan and hiking to the top of a glacier in Skagway so the kayak will be a very different way to experience some of Alaska.

Tee_harbor: Thanks so much for all your information! I think we, too, will go with the self-guided tour. I'm still torn between wildlife and glacier, but my husband really wants glacier, so I think I will let him chose :)

Archived