Advice re: Safety of Hong Kong at Night

PassagePoint

First time to Hong Kong. Will be there overnight on the ship. Concerned whether you need to take a ship's tour or private tour to see Hong Kong at night or whether it is safe to walk around on your own. Want to see Temple Street at night, ride a double-decker tram, see the light show, and perhaps go to top of Victoria Peak to see the city lights. Is it possible to do this on your own, or should you go with a guide? Tips, suggestions, and/or advice appreciated.

First time to Hong Kong. Will be there overnight on the ship. Concerned whether you need to take a ship's tour or private tour to see Hong Kong at night or whether it is safe to walk around on your own. Want to see Temple Street at night, ride a double-decker tram, see the light show, and perhaps go to top of Victoria Peak to see the city lights. Is it possible to do this on your own, or should you go with a guide? Tips, suggestions, and/or advice appreciated.

We did that about a year ago. Did not have any concerns. Used subway as well to Ladies Market. Took ferry from Kowloon to hotel as laser show best from Kowloon. Always be aware of your surroundigs. Going there on Oceania next March and will tour on own as well.

Elwin

molliem@shaw.ca

Overall it is pretty safe but it is a city and the streets are filled with people at night so be street smart and know your surroundings. I would watch for pickpocketers. Again you are in a city that is not only composed of the locals but lots of tourists or other visitors.

Keith

We went there on the RCL Legend of the Seas and walked to the night market and it was fine. In fact those that booked the tour realised what a waste of money it was.

The night show we also saw from the ship, one of the best vantage points. Loads of advice in my blog and pictures. How are you getting to Hong Kong and where are you staying / going via ship?

As a generalziation for what you are proposing to do, you should be safe. I've walked many a foreign city and many US that many might say are unsafe late at night.

Safety or lack really really relates to where you are in a city first and foremost. Of secondary influence is your behavior. End up in east LA gang lands and it matters little what your behavior or awarness is you won't be safe :eek: Going to major shopping, night life, our toursist areas full of people you'll be as safe in the evening as you'll be during the day if you use common sense related to the petty opportunistic theif.

HK is overall a safe city.

We went there on the RCL Legend of the Seas and walked to the night market and it was fine. In fact those that booked the tour realised what a waste of money it was.

The night show we also saw from the ship, one of the best vantage points. Loads of advice in my blog and pictures. How are you getting to Hong Kong and where are you staying / going via ship?

Thanks for the link. You had some good info and great pics. What lenses did you use? I had not heard about needing passport photos or copies. We always bring passport copies, but needing the photos was new to me.

Thanks for the link. You had some good info and great pics. What lenses did you use? I had not heard about needing passport photos or copies. We always bring passport copies, but needing the photos was new to me.

I think the photos were needed for either a Vietnam or Cambodian VISA if my memory serves me correctly, it gets created on ship and charge to the account. Shots were taken with a variety of lenses, 10-20, 17-85 and a 30mm f/1.4 for some of the night shots. I used a gorillapod on the side of the ship to get the night shots of Hong Kong.

I think the photos were needed for either a Vietnam or Cambodian VISA if my memory serves me correctly, it gets created on ship and charge to the account. Shots were taken with a variety of lenses, 10-20, 17-85 and a 30mm f/1.4 for some of the night shots. I used a gorillapod on the side of the ship to get the night shots of Hong Kong.

It must have been for Cambodia, since we aren't stopping there. I also have a 17-85 and a 10-22, but no 30mm 1.4. I do like what you were able to do with it. Thanks for the info.

we have been 5 times in Hkg , walk and used public transit days and night never had a problem or felt unsafe but like every major city you have to be street smart we have found that people were very friendly and helpfull when we ask for direction or info

very nice city with a great public transit use the octopuss card very easy

good luck

• 2 months later...

According to law in the PR China (inculding HKSAR), you are required to carry photo IDs at all times to prove your citizenship as the police can ask and request it at anytime for no reason. However, the police are mostly checking for illegal immigrants from mainland China, SE Asia/India, and the Middle East. I just wanted to make you aware that you are required to carry proof of citizenship in HK (but you getting checked by the police is very low if it is pretty obvious that you're a tourist, AKA being burnt red like a lobster, toting the camera like papa, etc. LOL). :D

Take care and have fun in HKSAR.

According to law in the PR China (inculding HKSAR), you are required to carry photo IDs at all times to prove your citizenship as the police can ask and request it at anytime for no reason. However, the police are mostly checking for illegal immigrants from mainland China, SE Asia/India, and the Middle East. I just wanted to make you aware that you are required to carry proof of citizenship in HK (but you getting checked by the police is very low if it is pretty obvious that you're a tourist, AKA being burnt red like a lobster, toting the camera like papa, etc. LOL). :D

Take care and have fun in HKSAR.

Most states in the USA have similar requirements for ID. The big difference of course, is that Hong Kong - day or night - is far safer than most cities in the USA.

Archived