Behind the scenes 3 1/3 hr tour on Glory

Seayalater

This is so worth the $95 price. DH booked it for me after our CD announced it was the first one the Glory was doing. Don't know if anyone else has posted about it but I will post more later (at work!) I don't want to print any spoilers.:p

Would love to hear more.

This is so worth the $95 price. DH booked it for me after our CD announced it was the first one the Glory was doing. Don't know if anyone else has posted about it but I will post more later (at work!) I don't want to print any spoilers.:p

How do we book? I wonder if you could book in advance?

Well they have a security guard wand you-no cameras or cell phone. You are welcome to take notes. Then Manuela and Sonia began the tour, there were 12 of us and since we were the 1st group doing this, they were as excited as we all were. We went down to the crew quarters, (prisitine) saw the mess halls where team members eat. When a new team member arrives onboard they will start learning to serve in the crew, staff and officer mess halls. They have buffet style as on Lido. We went to the Captains table which seats approx 12. It has a flat screen tv and I chuckled when I saw the remote at the captains seat! We know who is in control. Then we went to the laundry room (very steamy) and saw them putting bed sheets into a huge rolling machine which flattens them to a crisp AND folds them. The goes on continuously. Even the beach towels have their own folding machines. Room stewards change the sheets on all beds on Wednesday or when stained. Next we went to the environmental station where it was hard to hear but they are very green on Carnival and compact everything for disposal. If I heard correctly they dump composted food 12 miles off shore. FYI-the crew quarters are beneath water level, you don't fell any motion what so ever! Lucky. Next up back stage of the Amber Palace. The curtain alone is $300.000. We went to the costume rooms and everything is organized according to show numbers. The entertainment staff cabins are right off stage for conveinence. All the heads of each department spoke w/us and answered all our questions. Nice of them to take time, they appreciated participating.We headed to the galley where the head chef gratiously

gave us a tour and we went into meat lockers, beverage hold, pastry kitchens, say huge pots of boiling marinara, soups and escargot being prepped. We had hot chocolate chip cookies and freshly dipped chocolate strawberries. We complemented the older man carving swans out of Ivory soap for the buffet--when the tour ended they surprised us by giving each of a swan wrapped in a bow! We were given the recipe for Chocolate Melting cake!!! We went on to the Engine room (again with security) this was fascinating. All kinds of lights and wires and ship layout showing each section of the ship being monitored (not security) but A/C and balance-wise, thrust engines, etc. The chief engineer had a very heavy Italian accent, so I had trouble understanding.

Next, the bridge. Wonderous!!!!!!!!!!!!! We were there at least 30 minutes. It is so peaceful and calm. The best view onboard. Potted plants and an aquarium. Captain Naguro is an imposing, handsome tall man. Something about a man in uniform!! He said he had a meeting to get to, but he ended up staying 25 minutes. He explained the machinery, gadgets and gizmos , showed the sonar system. I asked how a ship could possibly hit a whale and not know it. He said there was a small grey area the sonar doesn't reach (near the waters surface) so the whale most likely was in that area and unfortunately got hit. All ships are especially careful of sea mammals but unfortunately some accidents occur. We then got group pictures taken and individual ones w/the Capt. Most times the ship is on automatic pilot except when docking or in bad weather.

While we were below sea level we were also shown the morgue and the brig, so any unruly passenger or crew member who might present a danger to themselves or others

Basically solitary confinement. I'm sure I have forgotten something, but ask away and I'll respond.

Oh yes, we got champagne and a backpack, hat, wrist band and the swan, but when I got back to my room, the head chef had sent up a plateful of strawberries, and pastries!!!!!!!!!!

When is the earliest that you can sign up/book this event once you are on board?

I guess what I'm asking is to I need to get in line as soon as/before the Tours Desk opens first night or what?

My DD and I will be on the Glory for the Christmas sailing and want to do this, think it will be a neat Mother/Daughter thing to do. We've done the Galley Tour but this sounds even nicer.

They offered it on my Miracle cruise (8/12-8/20). I really wanted to do it, but I thought $95.00 ($190. for DW and I) was a bit steep since I could not figure out how it was costing Carnival even an extra nickel to do this. I doubt they hired special "tour staff" to conduct the tour. I would have gladly paid a fee, but I thought this was a tad high (just MHO). Although, it did sound like a great tour! Maybe next year I will take it. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks so much for the review. I'm just wondering if they mentioned if the tour will be available Carnival wide ... and a timeline? I would love to do this tour so I'd love to hear it will be available on the Destiny in January.

Miriam

They offered it on my Imagination cruise last week. It was advertised on the back of the first capers. I didn't see it in time. I did notice a man with some "Behind the Scenes" logo gear on later in the cruise. I would love to do this. Maybe I will try next month on the Freedom.

wow, thanks for your thorough review! That definitely sounds like something I'd like to do. How creepy it must have been to see the morgue! On one of my cruises, one of the passengers (young man) passed away-rumor has it from alcholol poisoning. It was such a sobering (no pun intended) thing to hear.

$95 is steep, and I don't think DH would want to pay that, but I think I would. It really sounds like a once in a lifetime experience.

Maybe they'll offer it on my upcoming Freedom cruise in 2 days! :D

Wow...this definitely sounds like it's worth the money. I'd do it. Why do they only change the sheets on Weds? They don't change them daily?

I know, LOL. That is what I was thinking too! I won't tell DH that part....I'll let him keep on thinking the sheets are changed every day! :D

Archived