Is is possible to take your own alcohol onboard the ship?

lilybug23

My husband booked our first cruise on the DREAM 7/24/2010 and we dont want to spend a lot of money on alcohol. We have heard of some pretty outrageous bar bills. Its not like we want to take a whole bar with us, just 1 or 2 bottles. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to take your own alcohol on the ship? :o

~Amber

My husband booked our first cruise on the DREAM 7/24/2010 and we dont want to spend a lot of money on alcohol. We have heard of some pretty outrageous bar bills. Its not like we want to take a whole bar with us, just 1 or 2 bottles. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to take your own alcohol on the ship? :o

~Amber

Put it in your checked luggage.

just read in a review that a guy got 3 six packs of beer in port and brought them back on the ship. how can you do this? never even got a small bottle back in without them have me leave ot and give it to me on the last night on the ship.just read this under a review on the legend. is this true or just bs.:cool:

~Amber

Be ready to be slammed on this as it is against Carnival policy to bring onboard alcohol, with the exception of wine and champagne. I am not saying I agree or disagree with those that bring it aboard, I just know that this post, like many others, will bring an onslaught of comments both for and against and some of them will be posted tactfully and others not.

And with that in mind, who has the popcorn?

From the Carnival website.

Liquor and Beverage Policy

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages onboard. However, guests 21 years of age and older only may bring one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, on board only during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the main dining room; $14 corkage fee per bottle in the steakhouse. Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages. All prohibited alcohol, additional quantities of wine/champagne or excessive quantities of non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated and discarded without compensation.

Large cooler restrictions:

Carnival Cruise Lines does not allow guests to bring large coolers on board its ships. However for purposes of housing small, personal-sized coolers no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage. Screening and movement of large coolers through embarkation is an impediment to the boarding and security screening process. Therefore, large coolers are not permitted as carry-on or checked luggage.

Ports-of-Call

Alcoholic beverages of any kind purchased in any Port-of-Call will be confiscated at the gangway, stored on board and retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

Gift Shops On Board

Alcoholic beverages of any kind purchased in the ship's gift shop will be stored on board and be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

~Amber

For the 1000th time( not giving you trouble.. I had to learn to).. rum runners checked luggage and as I do.. put a few coldies in a roll on cooler with room tag on ...check it and its iced for my whole trip. Dont need to hide it.. cabin steward could care less and they will bring on as much ice as you need- a twenty spot helps greatly!!

This is probably the most asked question.. Each of you are allowed one bottle of wine. You can carry that on. I recommend any other alcohol should be put in your checked bags. Just make sure you put it in zip lock bags (the big ones) just to be safe. I don't think the bar prices are that out of whack. A beer is about $3. That's the same price as the bars around here.

Yes you can. See above posts for some ways. I just pack in checked luggage and go. Take a soft side cooler and line it with a garbage bag. Room Steward keep ice on it. I do give him a nice tip but at the end of the trip. Some tip early and like that, I do it late and get great service.

Enjoy your trip.

OH, this is pic from our last trip.......

3653829035_9b334067b8.jpg

You can put your alcohol in checked bags, if it is glass you should bubble wrap it and then large ziplock bags. If it is 12 pack of beers or larger you might want to gift wrap them and also put them in checked bag. People also like to use Rum Runners, they are clear and plastic and holds different amounts.

http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com/

The rum runners really aren't necessary. You can just put the original bottle in your checked bag and it's highly unlikely you'll have a problem getting it onboard. But be sure to cushion it well and put it in one of those large, 2 gallon ziplocks just to be safe.

I fly from NY to FL for my cruises so I like to use the rumrunners. They always keep my liquids safe... not that expensive and Ive used them for the past few years over and over again... good investment for me...

Yes you can. See above posts for some ways. I just pack in checked luggage and go. Take a soft side cooler and line it with a garbage bag. Room Steward keep ice on it. I do give him a nice tip but at the end of the trip. Some tip early and like that, I do it late and get great service.

Enjoy your trip.

OH, this is pic from our last trip.......

3653829035_9b334067b8.jpg

and I can guarantee you that Don and Renee will drink every drop of it! :D

Oh yeah get ready to be slammed by certain people on this board who will lecture you on "that is against the rules"...pay no attention to those people, I think some people just like to bash people...Pack your alcohol in your checked luggage and you will have no problem...but be prepared for the negative haters on this site, they jump on this subject at any chance to lecture people....Have a great cruise!!!!!

I just returned from my cruise this past weekend. DW and I took 2 bottles of wine, one box of wine (equalling 4 bottles), and 26 cans of beer (Heineken and Heineken Light). And we bought 24 cans of Kalik beer in Nassau and sneaked it onboard. We only brought home three cans of beer and no wine.:eek:

I just returned from my cruise this past weekend. DW and I took 2 bottles of wine, one box of wine (equalling 4 bottles), and 26 cans of beer (Heineken and Heineken Light). And we bought 24 cans of Kalik beer in Nassau and sneaked it onboard. We only brought home three cans of beer and no wine.:eek:

I'm sorry but that just does not sound like fun to me. I think of all that alcohol and it makes me feel sick. Do you even remember your cruise?

Oh yeah get ready to be slammed by certain people on this board who will lecture you on "that is against the rules"...pay no attention to those people, I think some people just like to bash people...Pack your alcohol in your checked luggage and you will have no problem...but be prepared for the negative haters on this site, they jump on this subject at any chance to lecture people....Have a great cruise!!!!!

Oh I'm ready for it! Let them bring it, it wont bother me any! Thanks for the great advice.

It is 'against the rules' but I am not going to BASH anyone, we are sailing in two weeks, and I am not sneaking any, but not because it is against the rules, because it is cheaper and more convenient for me to buy a bottle from Carnival $40. We need to fly and if I buy at home I would need to check a bag at the airport ($20-$30) + the $15 for the bottle. Could buy in FL but would have to get the cab driver to stop at a liquor store somewhere, which to me is too much of a hassle

It is 'against the rules' but I am not going to BASH anyone, we are sailing in two weeks, and I am not sneaking any, but not because it is against the rules, because it is cheaper and more convenient for me to buy a bottle from Carnival $40. We need to fly and if I buy at home I would need to check a bag at the airport ($20-$30) + the $15 for the bottle. Could buy in FL but would have to get the cab driver to stop at a liquor store somewhere, which to me is too much of a hassle

Southwest= 2 bags checked free... buy bottles at home and pack! :eek:

• 1 month later...

If they take your alcohol at the pier or if you buy a bottle at the duty free store on the ship, will they give it to you the last night of the cruise or the morning you leave? I had a bottle taken on a Royal Caribbean cruise and they didnt let me have it back until the morning we left. :(

Archived