Ship's temperature in the canal?

diann744

Greeting Fellow HALsters,

I’m booked on the 19-day Holiday Panama Canal trip on the Rotterdam and I have a question about the ship’s temperatures. I (stupidly) associate Christmas and New Years with colder climes and so bought two velvet dresses for those occasions. Not over-the-top heavy velvet, but velvet nonetheless.

Are the ship temperatures cool enough that I can get away with this? Or will I singlehandedly escalate the global warming problem? We’ll be in the canal for the first holiday and around Huatulco for the second.

Thanks

Diann

Just my opinion -- and we have done several full transit canal cruise -- I would be hot in an outfit of velvet -- no matter how thick or thin it is.

The ships do their best to keep the insides cool -- but with so many people running in and our all day during the day of transit -- it can get warm inside.

I have only cruised HAL on the Oosterdam. I found temps. to be comfortable everywhere except two places: There were areas in the buffet that were very drafty; the lower down I went in the theater/main lounge, the colder it got. Always needed a shawl there. EM

No matter what part of the world we are in, we often find the dining room chilly when we first go in for early seating, but warmer before we are done, as people in the room warm it up. If you have late seating you could be a bit warm in velvet!

Last Christmas on ZUIDERDAM I saw lots of red velvet, and Rudolph-the-Rednosed-Reindeer bulky sweaters . . . and typical cold climate Christmas outfits. Those folks weren't freezing in the theater! Since the ship is air conditioned it's not that much different inside than anyplace you'd be inside in Northern climates. Outside on deck, you'd be more comfortable in a bikini with tree balls hanging on it.

Regards, Richard

Archived