China River Cruise question

wallygator

Hi we are seriously thinking about sailing a China river cruises along the Yangtze River. We have been told that going summer months is not the way to go. What is everyone’s experience? What is the best time to travel to China???

Any other information will be greatly appreciated.

We went November 6, and it was still warm, though not oppressive in the south (Shanghai and the river portion), cool for the visit to the Terracotta Warriors, and cold in Beijing (definitely coat weather). We were fine, though it got pretty cold on the climb of the Great Wall. It was sunny, but cold (probably about 35 to 40 F) but the wind was blowing 20 MPH or greater. The wind and treacherous footing made the climb challenging, but we wouldn't have missed the experience.

China is such a vast country, with so many climates it is difficult to find a "best time". For example, while it was comfortable in the Three Gorges area, it was very foggy, due to the temperature difference between the air and water.

If you tolerate moderate cold well, I would say that the October/November times would be the best. If you don't like the cold, but can stand the heat, you could look toward warmer months. Our cruise was the last Viking offered for the season, though the staff told us that the ship had been chartered by a Korean group after our trip.

We also traveled with Viking River in China. We were there in November 2007.

November has little rainfall. Also there are few International or Chinese tourist in November.

We really enjoyed our short 3 weeks visit and hopefully will be able to return for another visit.

You want want to check on the above bord, [Other cruises] and look for Viking River - China. There will be lots of info.

Also I posted a review of our trip under the review board for Viking River Century Sun.

MSEm

We are taking Viking's China's Cultural Delights cruise on Oct 20th, because we not only enjoy Fall weather, but the lower numbers of people. This is our first trip to China, but we understand that it's pretty much the same as Europe- if you don't like crowds, avoid the J-J-A months if at all possible. In China, apparently it's also a good idea to watch out for the big Chinese festival periods, because this can mean lots of traveling / touring by the indigenous population. Someone just posted that there's going to be a huge year-long expo in Shanghai next year, which might mean it'd be good to avoid if you don't like crowds....etc. The more you know.........

We traveled to China with Uniworld last year and had a marvelous experience. We chose Uniworld instead of Viking because we wanted less time on the Yangtze (3 days instead of 5) and more time in other parts of China. We love being on the river, but China is so vast (we had 5 flights within the country on our trip) that we opted this time for the shorter time.

In doing our research, we definitely decided against the summer months because of the extreme heat. More temperate months are September and October and in the spring.

Avoid, if possible, traveling during the first week of October, especially in Beijing. The Chinese celebrate their national days during that week (built around Oct. 1), and most everyone is on vacation and visiting all the sites you will be visiting. Somehow, I did not pick up that information in all my reading to prepare for the trip. We still were able to see all the major things in Beijing, but everything was extremely crowded.

If I can be of further help, just let me know. We absolutely loved China!:D

Hi we are seriously thinking about sailing a China river cruises along the Yangtze River. We have been told that going summer months is not the way to go. What is everyone’s experience? What is the best time to travel to China??? Any other information will be greatly appreciated.

Sailed the Yangtze with Viking during their first year in China back in 2004. Really thought that their staff was exceptional on the Century Star, a ship which is no longer owned/operated by Viking. We arrived in early September and were there for 21 or 22 days if memory serves me correctly. The weather was warm, but not hot and the only time that temperature was an issue was one day near the end of our trip while at the Forbidden City (Shanghai to Beijing). Meals off the ship were always Chinese offerings served one dish at a time, then placed on a lazy susan with rice as the last course. As food is part of the travel experience, I had no problems with this but I'd advise practicing up on your use of chopsticks before you go!

Heavy flooding along the Yangtze upstream closed the Three Gorges Dam to all boat traffic while we were there and we found ourselves tied to a dock in Yichang for several days. As we were the only Viking owned vessel on the river at that time, the company had to arrange alternative bus 'field trips' for us, upsetting many passengers who seemed to be of the opinion that this American owned ship with its American passengers should be allowed to pass through the dam and continue viewing the Three Gorges area following the itinerary as advertised.... However, many passengers realized that folly when they actually saw the water levels and the force of the current at the dam. One of the most creative alternative 'field trips' offered by Viking was a cruise through the lower gorges on a Russian built 1970's era cigar shaped commuter craft, not something you're likely to ever encounter again....but there were many complaints about the condition of the boat not being up to American standards, etc.

Hotel offerings were first class all the way in Shanghai, Xian, and Beijing.

In short, I'd advise traveling to China during the shoulder seasons and be prepared to be flexible. As 'eventful' as our trip was, the most disappointing aspect for my husband and I was the attitude and lack of flexibility demonstrated by some of the passengers... :(

In short, I'd advise traveling to China during the shoulder seasons and be prepared to be flexible. As 'eventful' as our trip was, the most disappointing aspect for my husband and I was the attitude and lack of flexibility demonstrated by some of the passengers... :(

Thanking all for their responses. As to flexibility "Some people would complain if they were hung with a new rope" I'm on vacation and I woke up on the right side of dirt. I can deal with all the other issues. Honest. :)

My brother took the Grand Circle 21 day China trip last April and thought it was great. If you look at there last minute specials they are offering the 21 day tour starting on Sept 24th for $2695.00 incl airfare. Can't beat that! Even if your not ready to go I would sign up for their email notifications as they always have some great last minute specials.I have signed up and hope to do their Rhine/Mosel cruise this way.Just trying to give you some options.

We were one of the first with Viking in China and I was interested reading all the comments made.

We are ready to go again - except there are other places that we want to see.

The experience with Viking was so pleasing to us, that we subsequently been on two other Viking cruises - one in Russia and one on the Danube.

The only comment would be on the food in China - we found it "sub-standard" but only because we love Chinese food as done here in the States! Peking duck skin, for example, is not done as crispy as here in Hawaii. Think hamburger or pizza in Europe as opposed to having at home!

Hi we are seriously thinking about sailing a China river cruises along the Yangtze River. We have been told that going summer months is not the way to go. What is everyone’s experience? What is the best time to travel to China???

We took the China river cruise in October on Viking and loved every minute of it. The weather was comfortable and no smog! If the ship is not full you can upgrade your room for under $200. Our guide told us about it during the bus ride to the boat and we took advantage of it and got a mini suite.

We took the China river cruise in October on Viking and loved every minute of it. The weather was comfortable and no smog! If the ship is not full you can upgrade your room for under $200. Our guide told us about it during the bus ride to the boat and we took advantage of it and got a mini suite.

Thanks I will keep the upgrade option if available open. We are so ready and yet so far away. Travel is an addiction, we are also looking at South America as well as a Russian River cruise. :):)

We were one of the first with Viking in China and I was interested reading all the comments made.

We are ready to go again - except there are other places that we want to see.

The experience with Viking was so pleasing to us, that we subsequently been on two other Viking cruises - one in Russia and one on the Danube.

The only comment would be on the food in China - we found it "sub-standard" but only because we love Chinese food as done here in the States! Peking duck skin, for example, is not done as crispy as here in Hawaii. Think hamburger or pizza in Europe as opposed to having at home!

There is nothing as wonderful as the pizza at Da Baffetos in Rome.If you ever get to Italy try it out. No other pizza will ever match up.:D

We did China with Viking in July and it was hot and humid. We had an incredible trip though and would do it again, but not in July. If you have the ability to travel at different times, the locals recommend May, early June, late September. Do go, you will be glad you did.

Note to WallyGator or others. Wife and I did the China/Yangtze tour with Vantage back in 2007. Very pleased with everything. Check out my photos at this site.

http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/z210/1Willard/

click on slide show but somehow I loaded them backwards - it starts with the Panda photo and ends in Hong Kong. Enjoy. Willard

Archived