Cell Phone Service -- No, Not Another How Much Question ;)

msredbird51

We're traveling on the Valor on Sunday. I am aware of the cell service offered onboard and have verified the charges for using that with my service provider (Sprint). I have also checked their international rates for each port in which we will be stopping. The charges per minute are quite a bit cheaper in all but one of the ports.

My question is when the ship is docked/in port does your cell phone still pick up the service from onboard or does it pick up the service offered in the port, i.e. the cheaper rate? For instance, could I be in our cabin or on deck while in Cozumel, place a call and get charged the much cheaper rate? Or would I have to be off the ship for that? If that's the case I wonder how far away we'd have to be from the ship to get on the port's towers. Could we say be in the pier shops? Has anyone had any experience with this?

(I hope those questions make sense.)

If you are still on the ship, many have reported they still got charged as if the ship was still at sea. Id make sure I was off the ship before I called. I dont know that everyone is charged as if they were at sea, but at least some were surprised on their bill to be charged that way.

The ship's cellular service is supposed to be turned off, as soon as it is close enough to shore for local signals. This is supposed to be automatic, and not something that the crew would normally control. It's a violation of most local communication laws, for the ship to leave their cellular signal active while in port.

On all the cruises I have been on, it works this way, and when in port (whether on the ship or off), I always have received the local carrier's signal.

It's always a good idea to update your phone's PRN file before leaving the country. That way, you will ensure that you use a prefered carrier with lower roaming rates. You can just call your carrier, and they can walk you through updating your phone with the latest PRN file....it just takes a minute or so.

I have Verizon, so not sure it would be the same for you, but once my phone picked up the local port signal, I typically receive a "free" text message saying "Welcome to [insert port name here]. This is a free message from [insert local service provider here]."

YMMV! Happy Cruising!

I think if the ship is at the dock the cell service is turned off. However, you could be leaving port and still in range of a shoreside cell tower but instead could call through the ship. So the wise thing to do is keep the cell phone off while you are on the ship.

Archived