Good News - Found Out About Insurance Coverage

LongTimeTvlr

Yeah, we used to fly in a day earlier, but dragging our luggage around town and checking in and out of hotels just got to be a hassle we choose to avoid. The reason we cruise is precisely so we don't have to do this.

In 31 year of travelling and over 2 million frequent flyer miles, this is the first flight I have missed (I have had many cancelled, missed here means I was scheduled to fly on it, it took off and I wasn't there). I probably got too complacent.

I booked the insurance using a website specifically for that purpose. I was advised to not use cruise line insurance to eliminate the conundrum of who pays for the missed cruise if the cruise line goes belly up (which recently has been more likely than usual for the obvious reasons).

The actual insurance company I am using is Travel Insured International. The website that brokered the deal was insuremytrip dot com.

Most policys do not cover for weather delays. Some do not cover for mechanical either. Will be interested to hear the outcome.

What time was your flight and connection time, etc.?

We just returned from the 8/17 Eastern Med Solstice Cruise.

Due to airplane problems followed by weather problems, we were stranded in Chicago and we missed the departure of the Solstice in Rome.

Note sure if this is the exact policy, but this is from the insuremytrip web site on Travel Insured International. This policy does cover weather delays. Was the air delay 3 hours or more? Most connections are less than that and I wouldn't be surprised if the insurance has the 3 hour plus provision for this reason.

Travel Delay

Trip Delay: The Insurer will reimburse You for covered expenses on a one time basis, up to the maximum shown on the Schedule of Coverage and Services, if You are delayed en route to or from the covered Trip for six (6) or more hours due to a covered reason.

Covered expenses include Your additional transportation cost to join the Trip or return home and up to $200 per day for reasonable additional expenses incurred for meals and lodging or any prepaid, unused, non-refundable land and water accommodations. Covered reasons for Trip Delay are: Any delay of a Common Carrier (including inclement weather); You or Your Traveling Companion being delayed by a traffic Accident while en route to a departure; lost or stolen passports, money, or travel documents; quarantine; hijacking, unannounced Strike, Natural Disaster.

Missed Connection: Covers missed Cruise or Trip departures which result from cancellation or delay (for three or more hours) of all regularly scheduled airline flights due to inclement weather or any Common Carrier-caused delay. Maximum benefits of up to the amount shown on the Schedule of Coverage and Services are provided to cover additional transportation expenses needed for You to join the departed Cruise or Trip, reasonable accommodations, and meal expenses and non-refundable payments for the unused portion of Your Cruise or Trip. Coverage will not be provided to individuals who are able to meet their scheduled departure but cancel their Trip due to Inclement Weather.

What insurance did you get? For the last few yrs we've gotten insurance through the cruise line but we always wondered if that was the best choice.

We get our insurance through our TA, and it is RBC (Royal Bank of Canada) insurance. Since our delay was due to weather, they asked for a note from our original airline stating that the flights were canceled. Continental had no problem providing that lettter to us, which we then forwarded with our claim.

Would you purchase trip insuarance if you were on Medicare and your cruise did not require a flight?

You need to purchase insurance if you can not afford to pay the costs if you do not and you can afford to loose the cost of your vacation. Medical evacuation from some parts of the world could top $100,000. It could still be $25,000 or so in the Caribbean.

Would you purchase trip insuarance if you were on Medicare and your cruise did not require a flight?

Medicare does not provide any coverage outside US. Most Medicare supplement plans do provide coverage outside US. However, many providers will not accept your "Blue Cross Card". In most cases, Travel Insurance will guarantee medical bills up to the limit of the travel insurance policy and will direct you to approved providers. One potential problem is that policy limits are not that high ($25,000 to $50,000) if there is a really serious medical problem. Many people are travelling and are not aware that they have no medical insurance coverage outside the U.S.

Medicare does not provide any coverage outside US. Most Medicare supplement plans do provide coverage outside US. However, many providers will not accept your "Blue Cross Card". In most cases, Travel Insurance will guarantee medical bills up to the limit of the travel insurance policy and will direct you to approved providers. One potential problem is that policy limits are not that high ($25,000 to $50,000) if there is a really serious medical problem. Many people are travelling and are not aware that they have no medical insurance coverage outside the U.S.

You are absolutely correct. For me it becomes a question of risk-benefits. You are paying a high premium for components such as travel delay and lost baggage that you don't need. What I would like to find is an insurer that will allow you to customize coverage so that you only pay for what you need. I recognize that insurance can give you peace of mind and is worth every penny if you need it.

You are absolutely correct. For me it becomes a question of risk-benefits. You are paying a high premium for components such as travel delay and lost baggage that you don't need. What I would like to find is an insurer that will allow you to customize coverage so that you only pay for what you need. I recognize that insurance can give you peace of mind and is worth every penny if you need it.

There is medical only insurance available but there are so many exclusions it is almost worthless. Most policies do not cover pre-existing conditions for last 5 years. Note that the cost of one medical evacuation will more than pay for travel insurance for 1000 trips. How is that for risk / benefits?

for sharing your story. I like your positive attitude in the face of a rocky start of your trip, and I am looking forward to hearing from you in regards to your claim. Fingers crossed for a good outcome. Thanks for sharing your story with us, do tell more.

In response to Lmack's question we used CSA Travel Protection. We booked the coverage on-line but in both instances that we made a claim we spoke with someone at customer services who was polite and helpful and was timely in sending the claim forms and assisting us with any questions and concerns we had. We will definitely use them again for our January cruise on Equinox.

I use CSA and have for the past 10 years or so. I only ha done minor claim and they paid in 14 days. I mostly buy insurance for the medical and evacuation coverage. I would hate to be stick in Panama or Bulgaria and have to pay my way home due to some illness.

Can anyone recommend a travel insurance in the UK please.

Hi

We have used Churchill Insurance for years - not had to claim thankfully but they are generally very good with other claims like motor and home insurance. They also include cruise cover at no extra cost - you need to make sure you specify that you will be cruising. Not sure if they are the cheapest but the cover is good.

Most do when paid within 7 or 14 days of deposit.

CSA Luxe and HTH can be paid at final payment and cover pre-existing conditions.

I was talking about Emergency Medical insurance only policies. Most of the policies you are referring to involve pre-existing conditions for cancellation.

I have used Direct Travel insurance and Zurich here in the UK. Have had to make claims with both Companies and were straight forwards without any problem. One was cancellation for serious illness of my Son 3 weeks prior to travel.

Others have involved medical issues,total baggage loss and theft of cash and camera at another time. What I have had to claim over the years has made up for what I have paid.

Of course what I insure for is hopefully not to need it but I would not dream of travelling without it.

Sue

Previously I asked about travel protection while on Medicare and received some good comments. I called my secondary provider, Highmark, and asked them about specific coverage while cruising. Their response was that any normally coverered health event while on ship would be covered as if it was on land in the US. Coverage would extend to covered events on foreign soil although in some cases it might require a reimbursement. Any covered Medicare event would be covered. I would suggest that one should contact their specific provider to discover what additional travel coverage is necessary.

Previously I asked about travel protection while on Medicare and received some good comments. I called my secondary provider, Highmark, and asked them about specific coverage while cruising. Their response was that any normally coverered health event while on ship would be covered as if it was on land in the US. Coverage would extend to covered events on foreign soil although in some cases it might require a reimbursement. Any covered Medicare event would be covered. I would suggest that one should contact their specific provider to discover what additional travel coverage is necessary.

In general Medicare Parts A & B do not cover medical expenses outside the U.S. There are some exceptions but they are not worth considering.

Guest maddycat

The coverage that everyone should be concerned about is emergency medical transportation. If you become ill or have an serious accident while traveling outside the US and need to be transported to a US hospital for care, you need travel insurance.

The coverage that everyone should be concerned about is emergency medical transportation. If you become ill or have an serious accident while traveling outside the US and need to be transported to a US hospital for care, you need travel insurance.

I agree but you also need emergency medical coverage or you may never have the opportunity to be transported.

I am the OP.

Just a quick update.

This is not directly about the insurance. Haven't heard from them yet.

There has been a positive development from a different source.

What I wanted you to know was that when I got back I wrote to American Airlines about my disappointment with their service on this journey.

I originally had four American flights:

1. The flight from Dallas to Chicago

2. The flight from Chicago to Rome

3. The return flight from Rome to Chicago

4. The return flight from Chicago to Rome.

I pointed out that flight 1 was four hours late, due primarily to mechanical issues, but also a weather issue in Chicago.

I missed flight 2 because of the delay with flight 1, and when I took the same flight the next day, it was delayed an hour due to mechanical problems, which turned a 9 hour flight into a 10 hour flight.

Blessedly the third flight went on schedule.

However when I arrived in Chicago I learned the flight to Dallas had been cancelled for "no known reason".

I suspect the reason was carrier convenience, because we were re-booked on another flight 30 minutes later, and this plane with the combined passenger load, was less than 20% full.

First American on their own initiative had already credited us with 10,000 additional FF miles because of the conditions related to the first flight. During this delay we were held on the tarmac in the Texas mid-day summer sun with no effective air conditioning. Some mothers were taking off their kids clothes in an attempt to keep them cool. In fairness to AA, we were taken back to the gate and allowed to deplane, after about 90 minutes, partly because the plane had to be re-fueled.

But what I wanted to share is that as a result of my letter, AA also gave us a $500 in vouchers we can use on future AA flights, which I thought was a fair and appropropriate response. I fly AA most of the time from Dallas, which is their home base, so I am sure to use these vouchers.

The insurance company promised to let me know by yesterday about my claim. I have not yet heard from them; maybe because of the holiday.

Thanks to most of you for your support. The outcome of this episode will have a major impact on my future insurance purchases, one way or the other.

I was going to change the Thread Title but I couldn't figure out how to do that.

I just heard back from Travel Insured International and they are going to reimburse me $1400, which covers my expenses to rejoin the trip.

Woohoo!

I believe this is fair and reasonable, althought their logic is different than I originally expected.

Basically I was covered under their trip delay criteria.

The maximum coverage was $750 a person, for the two of us that was $1500.

Our travel expenses to catch the Solstice totaled $722 including the taxi to to the pier in Santorini. (Airfare from Rome to Santorini was $660)

Then they would cover the larger $$ value of either:

a. lost days on the crusie or

b. other expenses

up to the maximum amount of $1500.

Other expenses (meals / hotel) - (Phone and internet charges were not covered) totaled $575.

Lost days = $661 ( two days at $330 per day).

So travel plus lost days = $1383. To this they added $17 we paid for toiletries we purchased on the first night we did not have our bags for a total of $1400.

This covers my out of pocket which actually totaled $1350, so I am a happy camper.

That is one of three reasons I buy this insurance and it paid off as I would have wanted.

The other two reasons are:

1. Trip cancellation for whatever reasons - I paid extra to allow me to cancel for work related reasons, which has never happened, but a few times it has been close.

2. Medical and Emergency evac - again, has never happened, I think it is not likely to happen, but if it did I want to be sure I have medical costs covered and the evac option available if it is needed.

I was more comfortable they would pay for these last two items than for the first, so this exercise was very educational for me. Now I now what to look for when I buy these policies in the future.

I would have no problem going with Travel Insured International or using the insuremytrip dot com website again. They came through on this deal.

I hope this was helpful to those of you who wanted the feedback.

Happy to answer questions.

If anyone knows how to change the title displayed on the thread list under Celebrity please let me know.

So in summary, the $1400 from Travel Insured combined with the roughly $600 from American Airlines has made me financially whole and practically a lot smarter.

Lessons learned:

I still would not fly in a day early just because we dread hotel hopping, but I would leave at least four hours to connect with an international flight, and I would buy this trip insurance.

I would also bring my cell phone along the next time. I hate them, but it would have made things easier if I could have given the insurance and travel people a number where they could reach me while I was moving around.

Archived