seasickness ??

familytrippers

Okay need your help. Am booked on the 16 day Antarctica cruise in January on Star Princess and I've heard/read the seas can be quite rough in spots on this trip. My husband loves the idea of the trip but has a tendancy towards seasickness/motion sickness...he says Dramamine knocks him out and he hates to take anything....BUT, I need suggestions from others who've found remedies for this...any recomendations??? I know he has to take something to be able to enjoy this trip!!!

The odds say you will have some rough seas but this truly varies by voyage. I have been in both rough seas and the calmest of seas on this itinerary. The key is to prepare for the worst.

I recommend booking a cabin that is mid ship and on a lower deck.

There are many remedies he can try from the prescription for a patch which he needs to discuss with his doctor. The main side effect from that is dryness of the mouth.

Many times the problem with Dramamine or Bonine is that you need to take it before you get sick otherwise it knocks you out. We take Bonine and if the captain says the weather will get bad we just proactively take it and have not had a problem that way. However, one time I waited, took it after I was not feeling well, and it knocked me out for the 24 hour period.

Some people wear sea bands but it only works well for some not everyone.

You could take ginger capsules or even ginger.

I would talk with your physician about options.

Keith

Okay need your help. Am booked on the 16 day Antarctica cruise in January on Star Princess and I've heard/read the seas can be quite rough in spots on this trip. My husband loves the idea of the trip but has a tendancy towards seasickness/motion sickness...he says Dramamine knocks him out and he hates to take anything....BUT, I need suggestions from others who've found remedies for this...any recomendations??? I know he has to take something to be able to enjoy this trip!!!

Try ginger tablets (or the real stuff) as they work wonders for my wife who also suffers from motion sickness. Try looking on Google for info on all this e.g motion sickness and ginger.

I'm one who gets seasick VERY easily and have done an Antarctic cruise. I've had limited success with the patch and ginger capsules (used separately). They each were much better than nothing, but if the seas were too rough, I still felt queasy (or worse :rolleyes: ). When getting my Rx for the patch for Antarctica my MD suggested I use both that and ginger in combination. Due to high seas we missed our stop in the Falklands. The seas were 45-ft for our passage to Antarctica. DH was stunned that I didn't have any problems. I wore the patch and took 2 ginger capsules in the morning and another 2 with dinner.

The only other suggestion I have for heavy seas is to not drink too much (ANY liquid - even water) on an empty stomach. It just sloshes around and that isn't good. I found that while waiting for breakfast it is better not to drink water, tea and juice before eating something.

Oh, our return across the Drake Passage was like glass. We could have been in the Caribbean it was soooo smooth.

I'm one who gets seasick VERY easily and have done an Antarctic cruise. I've had limited success with the patch and ginger capsules (used separately). They each were much better than nothing, but if the seas were too rough, I still felt queasy (or worse :rolleyes: ). When getting my Rx for the patch for Antarctica my MD suggested I use both that and ginger in combination. Due to high seas we missed our stop in the Falklands. The seas were 45-ft for our passage to Antarctica. DH was stunned that I didn't have any problems. I wore the patch and took 2 ginger capsules in the morning and another 2 with dinner.

The only other suggestion I have for heavy seas is to not drink too much (ANY liquid - even water) on an empty stomach. It just sloshes around and that isn't good. I found that while waiting for breakfast it is better not to drink water, tea and juice before eating something.

Oh, our return across the Drake Passage was like glass. We could have been in the Caribbean it was soooo smooth.

Mary Ellen that is so interesting. My wife (who also suffers a bit from motion sickness) has asked what kind of patches you use. Is this for behind the ear or what?

Thanks

Paul

Yes, I'm referring to the patch that is worn behind the ear (every 3 days when putting on a new patch, you alternate ears). It is scopolamine. In the US it is prescription only, it may be over-the-counter in the UK. I know a friend has ordered scopolamine pills on-line from the UK. He likes the pill form, as you can vary the dosage if you are smaller (or larger) than 'normal'. It was when I'd asked my MD about the pill form that she suggested I take the ginger capsules in addition to wearing the patch. For whatever reason, for me, that was her preference and it worked wonders.

Good luck to your wife.

Yes, I'm referring to the patch that is worn behind the ear (every 3 days when putting on a new patch, you alternate ears). It is scopolamine. In the US it is prescription only, it may be over-the-counter in the UK. I know a friend has ordered scopolamine pills on-line from the UK. He likes the pill form, as you can vary the dosage if you are smaller (or larger) than 'normal'. It was when I'd asked my MD about the pill form that she suggested I take the ginger capsules in addition to wearing the patch. For whatever reason, for me, that was her preference and it worked wonders.

Good luck to your wife.

Thank you. She is now on the case!

For those that don't know the history-scopolamine is/was the drug of choice for the CIA/KGB as a "truth serum". Still used by the ISI in Pakistan and probably a lot of other secret police worldwide. I was recently in Afghanistan on a business trip and was told by my military "minders" to be VERY careful of what I ate/drank outside NATO/Coalition areas due to the possibility of scopolamine poisoning.

It is also very commonly used in Columbia and a few other SA countries by the criminal element. It is called the "zombie drug" there. Can be slipped into a drink without anyone knowing. Criminals get bank account info, credit card info, car info, etc. etc. Scopolamine poisoning in Columbia is the new "easy" way to accomplish a kidnapping for ransom without actually kidnapping anyone. Kidnapping for ransom in Columbia is BIG business.

The transdermal patch is perfectly safe. VERY small amounts of the active ingredient. In fact, scopolamine is now being used by deep sea divers to counteract diving effects. And there are current studies about using the drug for severe depression and Parkinson's.

It is made from Jimson weed and other plants from the nightshade family. The plants themselves can be highly poisonous. But refined, the components have amazing potential for good AND bad.

While reading this thread, I chuckled out loud at the previous comment, "We could have been in the Caribbean it was soooo smooth."

I have been in the Caribbean when it was anything BUT smooth. In fact, some of my worst days at sea have been in the Caribbean. Once, we didn't see our tablemates until Day 3 or 4 of the cruise from Miami to San Juan; they were so sick!

And our calmest days, believe it or not, were during our 5 or 6 trans-Atlantic crossings. Go figure!!

So now, like Keith says, we prepare for the worst and hope for the best wherever we cruise!!

For those that don't know the history-scopolamine is/was the drug of choice for the CIA/KGB as a "truth serum". Still used by the ISI in Pakistan and probably a lot of other secret police worldwide. I was recently in Afghanistan on a business trip and was told by my military "minders" to be VERY careful of what I ate/drank outside NATO/Coalition areas due to the possibility of scopolamine poisoning.

It is also very commonly used in Columbia and a few other SA countries by the criminal element. It is called the "zombie drug" there. Can be slipped into a drink without anyone knowing. Criminals get bank account info, credit card info, car info, etc. etc. Scopolamine poisoning in Columbia is the new "easy" way to accomplish a kidnapping for ransom without actually kidnapping anyone. Kidnapping for ransom in Columbia is BIG business.

The transdermal patch is perfectly safe. VERY small amounts of the active ingredient. In fact, scopolamine is now being used by deep sea divers to counteract diving effects. And there are current studies about using the drug for severe depression and Parkinson's.

It is made from Jimson weed and other plants from the nightshade family. The plants themselves can be highly poisonous. But refined, the components have amazing potential for good AND bad.

Priceless!!

I'm also prone to motion sickness(big time) But, I don't let that stop me from cruising. We're booked on the 30 day S.A. crusie from LA to Rio 11/22/09.

What I do that works for me, I take chewable meclizine, 25 mg. (Yes, if you take it all at one time it will make you very sleepy.) Instead of taking on tablet at a time, I break the tablets in 1/4th and take a 4th every hour, whether I feel sick or not. Once your sick its to late,You these at the Pharmarcy, There made by Rugby comes in bottles of 100 tablets.about $8.00 They have to special order them and not all pharmacies deal with Rugby Labs. I used to get them at Walmarts here in Pa. This is the same as bonine (antiemetic) but much cheaper. Also you don't need a prescription to buy them. Also I take the ginger cap. I start them a few days before traveling, either plane ship or car. (doesn't matter to my stomach were I'm at) one last thing that I do is I use the "travel Bands" I am a believe they do help. Plus the normal stuff, don't eat greasy foods, bagels or plain white bread is wonderful if my stomach is on the iffy side. I keep away from coffee first thing in the morning I drink alittle tea. I try to keep something in my stomach, saltines are good also. Most important I try to get plenty of sleep every night while cruising. And I pay attention to my body. I've been doing this for the past several years... knock on wood it works 90% of the time... good luck and Happy Sailing Judy

• 1 month later...

One would expect the seas to be fairly rough as you head towards Antarctica, and though you might be lucky, being prepared is the best bet.

First, let's talk about why people get seasick. The accepted theory is that you get motion sick primarily because of a conflict between what the inner ear feels (motion) and what the eye sees (no motion). Hence, you tend to get seasick when you are someplace where you cannot see the motion. The best answer is to be someplace where you can see the horizon or the stars and you eye will see the motion and avoid the conflict between the inner ear and the eyes.

Some non-medicinal suggestions: eat and stay out in the fresh air. It is counter-intuitive to eat (you don't want to provide anything to throw up), but you will be better off if you eat reasonably normally. You might want to stay away from greasy foods, and you shouldn't overeat, but you definitely want food in your stomach. It's also generally better if you stay cool and in the fresh air. Admittedly it could be a little chilly south of Cape Horn and being outside could be challenging, but that would be better. Otherwise stay inside near a window, and keep cool.

All that being said, if you hit 45-foot seas or even seas a good bit smaller, the ship is going to experience a lot of motion, and even the best can get motion sick in the right conditions.

Ginger has already been mentioned, and it clearly minimizes motion sickness for most people. There are the various pills (Dramamine, Bonine, etc.), and as stated, you need to start these before the motion starts. Some caution about the scopolamine patch -- if you are going to use it, get your prescription early and try it at home first. Dry mouth is the most common side-effect, but some people can get some hallucinations and other more challenging side-effects. Make sure you tolerate this drug.

The suggestion to stay amidships is good as there is less motion there than at the bow or stern. One problem with staying down low is that you are not likely to have a verandah, and if you are prone to motion sickness, you probably want a nice big window to look out of all the time unless you want to go somewhere else to sit a lot. The verandah would offer a place for some fresh air too, and even allow small doses easily. On a higher deck, you would notice more rolling motion, but the difference in pitching motion wouldn't be too great -- the center of motion is likely somewhere above the main deck anyhow.

In truth, most people get their sea legs after a day or two at the most. But note that in really rough seas, and that is likely anywhere from a bit less than 20-foot seas and up, it could take more getting used to. Still, most people do get used to it.

Then of course, you have to get your land legs back when you go ashore from a rough ride!

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to say a quick thanks to everyone who posted. I think I'll be going to our local pharmacy and health food store to try and find ginger and maybe the meclizine. I took Bonine on my last cruise to Europe, but I don't think I would have needed it. Sounds like SA has a little more motion than the protected routes we've been on.

Archived