Santorini Cable Cars Every 20 min, How many cars are there?

readytocruise2009

Perhaps eight?, each holding six people. But it seemed to me to run much, much more often than every 20 minutes, more like every five or eight minutes. There are two sides, and when one is going up, the other is coming down, so it seemed very efficient. (I used the cable car both up and down last September and this past June.)

Well, I googled and saw that same posted schedule of every 20 minutes, which I know is wrong.

However, that same googling produced several pictures of the cars and there appear to be six, rather than the eight that I guessed in my previous post.

There are 6 cars that go one direction, and 6 cars that go in the other direction. There is a posted sign that states that it is a maximum of 6 passengers per car. That means that at any one time there are 36 people going up and 36 going down.

Perhaps during non busy times it may run every 20 minutes, but when there are a lot of people in port with cruise ships, the cable cars run back and forth all day long as soon as they are loaded and ready to go. I would say it's more like 10 minutes.

6 cars per side, 6 people per car, two sides, and I clocked a round trip at 3-4 minutes. (Absolutely NOT 20 minutes! They ran continuously.)

That works out to a carrying capacity of between 1,080 and 1,440 people each way per hour, which is only about half the passengers on a single large cruise ship. Allow plenty of time!

Archived