Looking for Digital camera with viewfinder and Zoom and at least 7 Mp. Any info?

ms simba

Where did you find this camera for $149.99?

that's the listed price on Amazon. which is where i bought it.

not, mind you, the price I paid a year ago.

great camera. love it. only flaw is the lens cap falls off sometimes, not a camera i'd keep in a purse.

sorry, didn't see you bought one. ENJOY!!!

Personally, i'd never buy anything I might need to return from Target, way too many issues with their returns.

Well, today I had to wait to have brakes installed and figured this would be a good time to read the user's manual for the Sony H2O. Turns out that in reading the manual, I found that this camera will not work with Windows XP Pro 64-bit which is the system I have installed.

So now I have to return it. Bummer! So now it is back to square one. I am going to replace the XP Pro 64-bit with just Windows XP but have a lot to do before that happens. I also found out from Office Depot that every two weeks they put the Sony H2O on sale for $229. SO maybe if I get the scaled down version of XP, I can still get a good price on this camera.

Or maybe that Kodak Easy Share Z012 IS might be worth looking at.

Back to the research for a camera but now I have to add the operating system into the mix.

Well, today I had to wait to have brakes installed and figured this would be a good time to read the user's manual for the Sony H2O. Turns out that in reading the manual, I found that this camera will not work with Windows XP Pro 64-bit which is the system I have installed.

So now I have to return it. Bummer! So now it is back to square one. I am going to replace the XP Pro 64-bit with just Windows XP but have a lot to do before that happens. I also found out from Office Depot that every two weeks they put the Sony H2O on sale for $229. SO maybe if I get the scaled down version of XP, I can still get a good price on this camera.

Or maybe that Kodak Easy Share Z012 IS might be worth looking at.

Back to the research for a camera but now I have to add the operating system into the mix.

Why not? I have a Sony and it works fine with XP-64, Vista 64 and Windows 7 x64, I seldom use the Sony software since Picasa imports the files just fine. All you're loading is image and movie files and there are a ton of packages that will do that, regardless of your camera.

BTW, a lot of software says it's not "approved" for x64, but runs just fine in compatability mode. Kodak does not list any x64 operating systems in it's software download section.

Dave

Well I guess I don't understand what it means when the manual says "not compatible with XP Pro 64" The Fuji digital camera that I have is NOT compatible with XP Pro 64. What happens is when I try to download the pictures from the camera to the computer using the USB cable, it won't work. So I asked Fuji and they said the camera is not compatible with XP Pro 64 and they do not have any software to make it do so. So I figured the Sony H2O would be the same - that I could take pictures but then couldn't get them off the camera using the USB cable.

But you don't have any problem? If so, then maybe I will take the camera out of the box, take some pictures, and then move them over to my computer. Thanks for the info and the quick reply!

Well I guess I don't understand what it means when the manual says "not compatible with XP Pro 64" The Fuji digital camera that I have is NOT compatible with XP Pro 64. What happens is when I try to download the pictures from the camera to the computer using the USB cable, it won't work. So I asked Fuji and they said the camera is not compatible with XP Pro 64 and they do not have any software to make it do so. So I figured the Sony H2O would be the same - that I could take pictures but then couldn't get them off the camera using the USB cable.

But you don't have any problem? If so, then maybe I will take the camera out of the box, take some pictures, and then move them over to my computer. Thanks for the info and the quick reply!

You can always take the card out and use a $25 card reader (that will handle the xD from Fuji too) to load the images. There are all kinds of ways to make it work.

Dave

• 2 months later...

Well, I bought the Sony H2O and wasn't able to use it until my cruise. Turns out I had a very difficult time with this camera. I rarely could see what was on the LCD screen (either too light or too blurry or ??). So I would just point it towards what I wanted a picture of, clicked it for a focus and took a picture. The pictures came out fine (some were a little askew).

I don't know if my problem was that I wear glasses and have trifocals or what the problem was but I could not get this camera to let me see anything in the LCD unless I held it out at arm's length and even then I had trouble viewing it as it was far far away.

So now I am returning this camera and looking for one that is about 10 MP and larger than a 7X optical zoom.

Is Canon the only company that sells a digital camera with a viewfinder? I don't want to buy one of those very expensive (to me anyway) of over $300 cameras. Since cameras are always getting better, I don't want to spend my mortgage money on a camera only to see something better in the future.

Any advice for a digital camera about 10 MP and 7x or larger zoom costing under $300?

Is Canon the only company that sells a digital camera with a viewfinder? I don't want to buy one of those very expensive (to me anyway) of over $300 cameras. Since cameras are always getting better, I don't want to spend my mortgage money on a camera only to see something better in the future.

Any advice for a digital camera about 10 MP and 7x or larger zoom costing under $300?

Excluding superzooms with electronic viewfinders, Canon is the only company that makes digitals with real viewfinders. Since this is a deal breaker for me, I guess that I am limited to Canon's for my backup P&S for the rest of my life.

DON

I am so glad to hear that other people have trouble viewing the LCD as their viewfinder. I felt as if there was something wrong with me before.

Continuing my research:

I have found that Canon cameras have optical viewfinders and Olympus or Fuji have electronic viewfinders. Don't really know the difference between the two - some people favor the optical; others the electronic.

I have also found that I am going to pay at least $300 for a camera that will have a 5x or larger zoom and is at least 7 MP. Since it looks as if camera makers are phasing out viewfinders, I figure this will be the last camera I buy so I am willing to pay more than I thought I was going to pay.

So has anyone any comments on Canon VS Olympus/Fuji. Or comments on electronic vs optical viewfinders?

Maybe the Black Friday sales will have a camera that fits my needs.

I am so glad to hear that other people have trouble viewing the LCD as their viewfinder. I felt as if there was something wrong with me before.

Continuing my research:

I have found that Canon cameras have optical viewfinders and Olympus or Fuji have electronic viewfinders. Don't really know the difference between the two - some people favor the optical; others the electronic.

I have also found that I am going to pay at least $300 for a camera that will have a 5x or larger zoom and is at least 7 MP. Since it looks as if camera makers are phasing out viewfinders, I figure this will be the last camera I buy so I am willing to pay more than I thought I was going to pay.

So has anyone any comments on Canon VS Olympus/Fuji. Or comments on electronic vs optical viewfinders?

Maybe the Black Friday sales will have a camera that fits my needs.

That's very strange to hear that your camera's LCD screen was so hard to view. It's pretty much standard practice for point-and-shoot cameras to use the LCD screen as the viewfinder.

You mentioned that the image on the LCD screen was either too blurry or too light / bright. I wonder if you didn't give the camera enough time to autofocus and adjust the exposure. For example, you're getting ready to take a picture, so you lift your camera and point it at the subject. The camera might not start autofocusing / adjusting exposure until you press the shutter button 1/2 way down (not all the way down). Once you press the shutter 1/2 way down, it takes about one second for the camera to focus on your subject and to calculate the correct exposure for your picture. You'll see all this in action on your LCD screen.

Once the image on your LCD screen looks perfect, then you can press the shutter button down all the way to take the picture.

If you haven't already returned your camera, try taking another few photos with your camera to see if that's the case. If so, then I don't think a different digital camera will be the solution.

Regarding the difference between an optical vs electronic viewfinder. Optical viewfinder is what you're used to in classic cameras. Your eyeball looks through a series of tiny lenses in the camera to view the scene.

The electronic viewfinder is basically a mini-LCD screen inside the viewfinder. Your eyeball is looking through the viewfinder to look at a micro-TV screen. If you didn't like the LCD screen, you'll hate the electronic viewfinder even more. However, the electronic viewfinder shows all your current camera settings / info (ex. battery level, # pictures left, flash on/off, etc), whereas the optical viewfinder typically won't show that information.

I'd say give that LCD screen another shot. Like I said, it's pretty much standard now-a-days in today's point-and-shoot cameras. A lot of kids are growing up not knowing what a viewfinder is! :confused:

I did try a lot of different things with this LCD viewfinder. Other than holding the camera out at arm's length, I was never able to get a good picture. It must be because I wear trifocal eyeglasses. I am aware of the focus and how to get it. That is how I got the pictures I do have. I would hold the camera, look at the out of focus (for me) picture, then push the button down slightly, then take the picture. Most of my pictures came out great doing it this way but I had no idea what I was exactly taking a picture of until I saw it later on the screen. Some of the pictures I took were blurry and some were slightly askew but most came out okay.

I returned the camera today and will be looking for a different camera. I already have a 5 MP/ 3x zoom and wanted a better zoom. The 10x zoom on this Sony was great. I took some pictures of the Carnival Fascination which docked near us. I will have to post these pictures soon as the zoom was phenomenal.

I guess it's still hard to say whether it was the camera's LCD screen that was bad or if it was your trifocals. Did you let anyone else use your camera to take pictures? Did they encounter the same problem with the camera's LCD screen?

When you returned the camera, did the employee test out the camera and were they able to reproduce the same problem? I guess it is possible that a bad LCD screen could have accidentally slipped past Sony, and that you were the (un)lucky recipient. Sony typically makes very good cameras.

If it was your trifocals that gave you a blurry view of your camera's LCD screen, then I'm not sure if getting a new camera would help. You might end up encountering the same problem again. :confused:

I called Wal Mart and they had the Canon SX20 for $399 so I'll go check that one out.

I did ask a person (didn't wear glasses) to take a picture of me and afterwards asked if they had trouble looking at the LCD screen. They said they didn't have a problem so I guess the problem lies with me. I'll have to keep looking for a camera that works for me. The Canon might be okay so while I am at Wal-Mart today I'll check it out.

Thanks for all your help and advice!

Ms. Simba, Sony Cybershot DSC-H5 7.2MP Digital Camera 12x Zoom

If you can find one of these new, I think you will be more than happy. I had the earlier version at 5.1 megapixel and took quite a few shots that were at full zoom, cropped and worked well up to 11 X 14 with no problem. This one still uses the AA batteries, and I believe it does still have the viewfinder, which I always used instead of the LCD. I upgraded to a Nikon D80 and gave the Sony up to the college kid. Miss it, still :>{ I found one listed as new in sealed box on a very well known auction site that's got 2 days til done. Best of luck.

Don't be so concerned with getting the absolute lowest price that you end up getting taken in by the many questionable suppliers out there. Some will show a great price but will charge you for the battery and charger that actually come in the box from the manufacturer. Others will sell you a grey-market model that is identical in quality to the USA model except that it's warranty is not honored in the USA.

Amazon (no gray, good customer service) has it for $244:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-H20-Digital-Stabilization/dp/B001OI2LV8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1252328769&sr=8-1

Most cameras that support HD movie mode will also shoot 640x480 movies that will display the proper aspect on a regular tv. The H20 offers 1280x720, 640x480 and 320x240. Your computer should handle viewing any of these modes.

Dave

I have this model (Sony DSC-H20). It has some awesome features, such as image stabilization. You hold your finger on the "trigger" lightly and no more blurred pictures. The burst feature is great when taking photos of fast moving objects. The movie feature included sound. I just bought it at Best Buy for $229.00. I also bought a 8mb memory stick for $29.00 (none come with camera) which holds about 1500 pictures. Also, it will automatically detect when someone smiles and take the picture without you having to do so. It knows when somebody blinks during a photo and will notify you immediately. Very cool features and picture quality is very good (unless you are a professional making your living at this, or just have the means to not care about how much you spend on things....cheers)

• 2 weeks later...
I called Wal Mart and they had the Canon SX20 for $399 so I'll go check that one out.

I did ask a person (didn't wear glasses) to take a picture of me and afterwards asked if they had trouble looking at the LCD screen. They said they didn't have a problem so I guess the problem lies with me. I'll have to keep looking for a camera that works for me. The Canon might be okay so while I am at Wal-Mart today I'll check it out.

Thanks for all your help and advice!

I just bought the sx20 about 6 weeks ago,its brand new, just came on the market. Great camera and zoom. Be sure to have a tripod.

Archived