Looking for Digital camera with viewfinder and Zoom and at least 7 Mp. Any info?

ms simba

I am looking for a Digital camera that has a viewfinder and 10x appx Zoom and at least 7 Mp. Any suggestions for a good camera with those specs, especially need the view finder.

Digital cameras come in all shapes and sizes. It would help if you mentioned a form-factor, and/or a budget.

If the viewfinder is important to you above all else, then go with a digital SLR. They have the best viewfinders by far.

My budget is approximately $250 and under. I don't know what a form-factor is.

Form factor refers to the shape of the camera. Small compact, Large compact, bulkier superzoom.

Unfortunately, most cameras in that price range don't offer an optical viewfinder anymore.

On the other hand, I have been using a canon SD800 compact with a viewfinder for two years now and have used the optical viewfinder on it about twice.

Modern compacts have bright, clear LCDs and there are few situations where framing with them is impossible.

Dave

My budget is approximately $250 and under. I don't know what a form-factor is.

I don't think you're going to find a 10X zoom with a viewfinder under $250.

One camera I'd take a close look at is the Panasonic DMC-ZS1. It's a top-rated camera, and has everything you're looking for except the viewfinder.

12X zoom

10 megapixels

fairly compact

comes in under budget

Overview of camera: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q209grouplongzoom/page4.asp

Camera: http://www.adorama.com/IPCDMCZS1K.html?searchinfo=zs1

Kit: http://www.adorama.com/IPCDMCZS1KA.html?searchinfo=zs1

Form factor refers to the shape of the camera. Small compact, Large compact, bulkier superzoom.

Unfortunately, most cameras in that price range don't offer an optical viewfinder anymore.

On the other hand, I have been using a canon SD800 compact with a viewfinder for two years now and have used the optical viewfinder on it about twice.

Modern compacts have bright, clear LCDs and there are few situations where framing with them is impossible.

Dave

So maybe I don't need an optical viewfinder (OVF) then. My digital camera (a Fuji A210) is many years old and I have trouble when looking at the "small" LCD screen when it is sunny.

So what I think I will do is research the cameras without an OVF, choose one, and then buy it just before the trip. That way if I have problems, I will be home in two weeks and be able to return it. Hopefully, though I will be really pleased and not have to return it!

So maybe I don't need an optical viewfinder (OVF) then. My digital camera (a Fuji A210) is many years old and I have trouble when looking at the "small" LCD screen when it is sunny.

So what I think I will do is research the cameras without an OVF, choose one, and then buy it just before the trip. That way if I have problems, I will be home in two weeks and be able to return it. Hopefully, though I will be really pleased and not have to return it!

A better plan may be to buy it now and if you don't like it, you can return it an try another before your trip....?

Happy hunting! There are so many out there and fortunately, most of them are pretty good these days.

Dave

I was concerned about not having an optical viewfinder, too. When I was shopping, the salesclerks in the different stores, let me take the cameras outside and test them. I ended up with the Panasonic TZ5 and only a few times have had trouble seeing the picture. I'm still partial to having an optical viewfinder, tho,it seems to help keep the camera steady with certain shots.

Quote: A better plan may be to buy it now and if you don't like it, you can return it an try another before your trip....? Happy hunting! There are so many out there and fortunately, most of them are pretty good these days. Dave

That is even a better idea. That way I have a great camera that I am happy with for my trip. Thanks for the suggestion!

I have been researching digital cameras with super-zooms since this morning. I have found one that I think might work for me. It is a Sony Cybershot DSC-H2O. It doesn't have a viewfinder but I believe it was a CNET review that said the "LCD is gorgeous and remains visible even in direct sunlight." Consumer Reports rates it 3rd from the top of their Super-Zoom cameras and marks it as one of their "recommended cameras to buy". It is on sale for $249.99 at Ultimate this week. So I think I will give it a try like "pierces" said.

The only thing I am not crazy about is that it requires a dedicated Sony NP-BG1 rechargeable battery Cost $9.50 (that then requires a Sony charger $3) and a Sony Memory stick Cost $14.95. The reason that I am not crazy about this is that I have Fuji cameras that require an XD-card. So I know what a pain it can be to have to find just that one type of memory card. It would be so much easier if I could use ordinary AA rechargeable batteries and a SD card.

But then this Sony Camera has a ton of things I am looking for. So I think I will give it a try.

Any comments on this camera?

I have been researching digital cameras with super-zooms since this morning. I have found one that I think might work for me. It is a Sony Cybershot DSC-H2O. It doesn't have a viewfinder but I believe it was a CNET review that said the "LCD is gorgeous and remains visible even in direct sunlight." Consumer Reports rates it 3rd from the top of their Super-Zoom cameras and marks it as one of their "recommended cameras to buy". It is on sale for $249.99 at Ultimate this week. So I think I will give it a try like "pierces" said.

The only thing I am not crazy about is that it requires a dedicated Sony NP-BG1 rechargeable battery Cost $9.50 (that then requires a Sony charger $3) and a Sony Memory stick Cost $14.95. The reason that I am not crazy about this is that I have Fuji cameras that require an XD-card. So I know what a pain it can be to have to find just that one type of memory card. It would be so much easier if I could use ordinary AA rechargeable batteries and a SD card.

But then this Sony Camera has a ton of things I am looking for. So I think I will give it a try.

Any comments on this camera?

A well reviewed camera. My sister-in-law has one and it thrilled with it.

Proprietary batteries cost more, but they also last far longer than AAs. BTW, the camera always comes with a charger. If you are thinking of buying it from a dealer that is trying to sell you the charger separately like BestPriceCamera.com, run the other way!

Memory Stick is about 10x as common as xD Picture cards. Sony uses it for cameras, camcorders and PlayStations which puts it as one of the three most common formats out there. SanDisk is a licensed manufacturer and there are some great deals on 4GB and 8GB chips at Adorama.

http://www.adorama.com/IDSDMSPD4U2.html?searchinfo=sandisk+ms+pro+duo

http://www.adorama.com/IDSDMSPD4U23.html?searchinfo=sandisk+ms+pro+duo

Dave

I found a Lexar 4 GB memory Stick Pro Duo at Office Depot for $14.99. So I figure I will buy the camera from Ultimate Electronics for $249.99 and see if they will meet the price from Office Depot for the memory card.

Be cautious: http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Ultimate_Electronics

Dave

The Sony H2O has a 720 p HD movie mode. I am use to AVI movie mode with my Fuji cameras. How does HD movie mode compare?

One review said, "720p resolution for playback on your high definition television" What if I don't have a HD TV?

Will the movies play on my computer running XP Pro 64 bit, with AMD Athlon 64 x 2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ 2.81 GHZ, 4 GB RAM, 226 GB hard disk space

The Sony H2O has a 720 p HD movie mode. I am use to AVI movie mode with my Fuji cameras. How does HD movie mode compare?

One review said, "720p resolution for playback on your high definition television" What if I don't have a HD TV?

Will the movies play on my computer running XP Pro 64 bit, with AMD Athlon 64 x 2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ 2.81 GHZ, 4 GB RAM, 226 GB hard disk space

Don't be so concerned with getting the absolute lowest price that you end up getting taken in by the many questionable suppliers out there. Some will show a great price but will charge you for the battery and charger that actually come in the box from the manufacturer. Others will sell you a grey-market model that is identical in quality to the USA model except that it's warranty is not honored in the USA.

Amazon (no gray, good customer service) has it for $244:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-H20-Digital-Stabilization/dp/B001OI2LV8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1252328769&sr=8-1

Most cameras that support HD movie mode will also shoot 640x480 movies that will display the proper aspect on a regular tv. The H20 offers 1280x720, 640x480 and 320x240. Your computer should handle viewing any of these modes.

Dave

I would rather buy this camera from somewhere that I can drive to in case I don't like it. I found that a Target store near me has the Sony H2O. Their return policy is 90 days.

Is it okay to buy from Target?

Sure. Target or any other major retailer will not employ any shady practices.

Dave

Well, I went to Target and had an extremely knowledgeable sales clerk. Turns out that he is going to one of our technical colleges for a degree in some type of Video photography-Fashion-Camera Photography. He whipped through all the controls on the camera and spent a lot of time with me.

Unfortunately, Target would not price match the $30 off because it was a 2-day sale and they only price match for week-long sales - bummer. They did price match the Lexar Duo Pro 4 GB card for $14.99. So I went off figuring I would then go to Ultimate Electronics. But as I thought about it, I decided to pay the extra $30 and buy from Target as they have a 90-day return instead of a 14-day return. And I was really impressed by the salesclerk and I really like Target.

So now I have the camera and have to start learning how to use it. Wonder if there is a class I could attend that would help me along - hmm. Have to do some more research.

I am so happy to have bought this camera. Hope I will like it.

Well, I went to Target and had an extremely knowledgeable sales clerk. Turns out that he is going to one of our technical colleges for a degree in some type of Video photography-Fashion-Camera Photography. He whipped through all the controls on the camera and spent a lot of time with me.

Unfortunately, Target would not price match the $30 off because it was a 2-day sale and they only price match for week-long sales - bummer. They did price match the Lexar Duo Pro 4 GB card for $14.99. So I went off figuring I would then go to Ultimate Electronics. But as I thought about it, I decided to pay the extra $30 and buy from Target as they have a 90-day return instead of a 14-day return. And I was really impressed by the salesclerk and I really like Target.

So now I have the camera and have to start learning how to use it. Wonder if there is a class I could attend that would help me along - hmm. Have to do some more research.

I am so happy to have bought this camera. Hope I will like it.

Congratulations on the new camera!

Here are links to some informal classes hosted here on Cruise Critic. Nothing serious, but fun with some good info for newbies:

Class 1 - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=791007

Class 2 - http://boards12.cruisecritic.com/sho...d.php?t=807836

Class 3 - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=824433

Class 4 - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=835827

Class 5 - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=848866

Class 6 - http://boards10.cruisecritic.com/sho...d.php?t=874451

Enjoy the new toy!

Dave

Archived