Questions about Jewel

Mydnite

So far we have only sailed on Voyager and Feeedom class ships. We are looking at Jewel for next summer, but I am a little concerned as she is a lot smaller. We do like the big ships, but it has not been for the size as such, but the facilities.

How does Jewel compare. We are looking at an aft balcony!

The Radiance class ships aren't THAT much smaller than Voyager....yes--you will miss the promenade area, but that's about it. It's well-designed and you're going to love your aft balcony---no superstucture in the way of your view!

Once you've traversed that hallway from your aft cabin, you'll be GLAD about the slightly smaller size....those are some looooooong hallways!

So far we have only sailed on Voyager and Feeedom class ships. We are looking at Jewel for next summer, but I am a little concerned as she is a lot smaller. We do like the big ships, but it has not been for the size as such, but the facilities.

I personally, am a big fan of the Radiance classships. I just think that they are more elegant and beautiful, and I love the fact that tou can see outside from most decks. The views from the glass elevators are breathtaking. :)

The only things you might miss are the Promenade and the ice rink.

Personally, I am ont a big fan of the Royal Promenade. It reminds me of a glorified shopping mall (I can stay home and see that). :eek:

Have been on both classes in past year and I have to say that I like them for different reasons. We did not feel like the (jewel) ship was less roomy, although it was smaller. You know what I mean? Less cabins, less pools, less shopping area, no ice rink. The gym is smaller. But still really good-less people to match the square footage. Like others have said, no promenade, but still a lovely ship. I look forward to the ROS in January.

Is there a cafe similar to the promonade or sorentos?

They have a Seaview Cafe' up on Deck 12. IMHO, it is better than the Promenade Cafe'. They have full sized sandwiches (Reubens, Cuban, etc.), fresh soups, fries, onion rings, wings and salads. And, you can sit outside and watch the world go by.

1791707984_SeaviewCafeMenu.jpg.568fae96a67c557810f558a0e111333f.jpg

Seaview4.jpg.b170e720524eeaf1be71f78d665d6f3e.jpg

Seaview2.jpg.0c07ebcc1c8d49dd480626e2597aed14.jpg

Seaview3.jpg.287ed1da4711c92609577d2edad61ed0.jpg

They have a Seaview Cafe' up on Deck 12. IMHO, it is better than the Promenade Cafe'. They have full sized sandwiches (Reubens, Cuban, etc.), fresh soups, fries, onion rings, wings and salads. And, you can sit outside and watch the world go by.

On JOS they replaced the seaview cafe with some kind of seafood cafe, the posted pictures must be from some other Radiance class ship

On JOS they replaced the seaview cafe with some kind of seafood cafe, the posted pictures must be from some other Radiance class ship

that experiment of the Seafood Shack, only lasted a couple of sailings, it was back to the Seaview Cafe shortly after my transatlantic last year.

I personally prefer this version of RCCL ships. While I can say I have enjoyed the occasional ice show, I am not a fan of the promenade--it does remind me of a shopping mall. This class of ship feels more light and airy. Booked for next month on the Jewel.

It appears I'm in the minority here, but Jewel is the smallest RCCL ship I've been on and my least favorite. Some of the evening activities were held in venues that made me feel closed in and it was difficult to see. That being said, I had more fun in the nightclub on Jewel than on any other ship. I love the rotating bar!

The Jewel is also my favorite ship. In fact, I love the Radiance-class ships, and would be happy to sail on them exclusively. We've done the Brilliance, will be on the Radiance in March, and hope to sail on the Serenade at some point. The size and design of this class of ship is stellar, JMHO, of course....;)

Karen

Extra charge?

Though we like the big ships (booked on the Oasis), we Love the Jewel. She is beautiful. The glass elevators are breathtaking as you look out over the ocean as you sail. I love the solarium. She is just the right size. We are booked on her next month again. You will not be sorry. She was our first ever cruise and she hooked us on cruising.

Seems like such a long time ago we sailed on the Jewel. I have been on a few RCI ships and the Jewel has, by far, been our favorite yet. So much glass, so many great places to sit, beautiful layout. You will not be disappointed sailing on this wonderful ship.

We went in 2004 on Jewel and really didn't notice any difference in the size...We LOVE aft cabins:D

Returned last week from the Jewel. It is a lovely ship. Particularly liked the fact that there are outdoor dining areas in the Windjammer and Seaview Cafe and the solarium is under cover in case of bad weather. Very good atmosphere on board, with pleasant crew and entertainment staff. Have sailed on the Independence and whilst this is a very nice ship, on which I would definitely sail again, the Jewel had more of a homely feel about it. You will not be disappointed if you opt for the Jewel.

Archived