Holiday Inn-West Bank

dancaster

I booked the Grandeur of the Sea back in June for a January 22 departure, along with several friends from North Georgia. Drove myself crazy trying to find a park and cruise deal. I decided on the Holiday Inn- West Bank - $68 for Friday night. The thing that got my attention was their free shuttle to the ferry (also free) every thirty minutes and they will allow us to leave our cars. Figured we would all load up Saturday morning and go drop our passengers and luggage off. The seven drivers would go back to the Inn, leave their car and return in one van to park, or we could take the ferry (short walk to the terminal). If that doesn't work we can park at the pier.

Someone in our group found a review (one) on Yahoo that trashed the place.

I'm hoping for better results since I feel responsible for recommending the place.

Your opinion will be appreciated even though it's a done deal.

Thanks

DC

I don't know much about your hotel but I do know that going back and forth from the westbank to the eastbank is kind of a pain and not as easy as it sounds. Where on the westbank is the hotel located? Are you sure that it is close to the Canal St. ferry? There are 3 ferry crossings on the river. Just make sure you know where you're going and enjoy our fine city and your cruise.

Thanks Micktooth for your prompt reply.

The information on the Holiday Inn shows that it is in Gretna, about 3 miles from downtown NO. The terminal appears to be just as you cross the bridge, and I'm told the Algiers Ferry is 1.5 miles from the Motel. I was hoping there would be little traffic on Saturday morning. My research shows our ship is the only one departing that day. Looking forward riding the St Charles trolly again

[their free shuttle to the ferry (also free) every thirty minutes and they will allow us to leave our cars. Figured we would all load up Saturday morning and go drop our passengers and luggage off. The seven drivers would go back to the Inn, leave their car and return in one van to park, or we could take the ferry (short walk to the terminal). If that doesn't work we can park at the pier.

Walkable to WHAT terminal??? Certainly NOT that close to the cruise pier, better would be to take the Riverfront Streetcar- to Julia, then walk the few blocks. Without luggage and no mobility limitations.

I don't know about the walking distance budget queen is referring to since I've never been to New Orleans (yet). As for the hotel, tripadvisor.com is a great source for nonbiased hotel review. They have reviews, user feedbacks and links to other sites with reviews and feedbacks. I'd check that out.

Thanks guys for the information. I checked tripadvisor and found a couple of bad reviews and a couple of not so bad. I was just wondering what would keep some crackpot from writing a review even if never staying at the place. I called the Tourism Office in Gretna and the Holiday Inn was recommended by them. She said it is located in the middle of Gretna ( safe area )

There are 30 of us and it could wind up an adventure, but what the heck. Runner Girl did I see where you are participating in a race? If so good luck!!

Budget Queen you helped me out a couple of years on my Alaska cruise. Thanks.

Happy New Year!!!

You can walk to the pier from the ferry landing but it is a bit of a walk about 1/2 mile or so. You can walk through the Riverwalk mall or along Convention Center Blvd. You can also take the riverfront streetcar which i would advise if you are lugging your baggage.Often times Carnival has a ship leaving on sat. and sunday. I believe the Sat. departure is the Sensation. You might want to check this out for xs traffic, etc.

Thanks Micktooth, I just called the Port Authority and talked to a nice young lady about the parking there and she informed me of the construction. She said they will allow vehicles to drop off passengers and luggage at the terminal. As I mentioned earlier, I think RCCL is the only ship departing that day and this should free up a lot of traffic congestion. On the web site it refers to 350 parking spaces at the main lot and with about 8,000 passengers still at sea, don't know if space will be available. There's always confusion at any Port the morning of a cruise. I was at Riverwalk a short time after the ship crashed into it.

• 3 weeks later...

We stayed at the West Bank Holiday Inn in Gretna last year when we cruised. It was fine, we left our cars there all week, they were safe. The area is ok, not the greatest. We did the free shuttle to the ferry, did French Quarter for a few hours and then ferried back and took shuttle back to Holiday Inn. We had to wait for a little bit because there were so many people waiting for the shuttle, but it was the night before the Sugar Bowl and it was packed. Hope this helps!

Don't know about the hotel, but know some people thay have parked here and liked it. Also cheaper than parking in the "official" parking lots.

You might contact them to see if you could get a group discount, and/or how much they would want to send a bus to the hotel pick you up and drop you off at the cruise ship and back again. Just a thought for that many people.

http://www.machupicchutours.com/Cruise%20ship%20transportation.htm

I live on the westbank of New Orleans. That Holiday Inn is getting old. It's not in the shape it should be in, but it's not the worst either. I'd reccomend it to a cruiser for a one or two night stay in order to leave your car for the week.... considering what it costs to park downtown.

It's too far of a walk with or without luggage from that ferry landing on the eastbank to the cruise terminal. Call a cab and take a cab to the terminal.

Actually, if your ship departs on a saturday or sunday, i'd suggest taking a cab from the Holiday Inn to the cruise terminal. There isn't much traffic over the bridge to the eastbank on weekends.

If your ship departs on a weekday in the afternoon, wait till 10 am or so to call a cab and you won't find much traffic mid morning going over the bridge.

I brought my mom two months ago to the terminal on a sunday morning.... 10 minute drive there and maybe 15-20 minutes in line by the terminal to drop them off. Taxi's and shuttles have a right-of-way to use and are shuffled right up to the drop off point at the terminal without much of a wait at all.

It's too far of a walk with or without luggage from that ferry landing on the eastbank to the cruise terminal. Call a cab and take a cab to the terminal.

I think about 1/2 mile is a good estimate. I don't think it is too far to walk - I've done close to that rolling overstuffed luggage. There is always the riverfront streetcar (exact fare would be best). You'll probably walk more than than that the first hour or two on the ship. Your mileage may vary, and of course, if it is raining, all bets are off.

Just got back from the cruise. We did stay at Holiday Inn Westbank for one night.

Took the shuttle to the ferry Friday night for some fun in NO. We loaded up Saturday morning ( 25 people, 6 cars ) and went to terminal and droped off our passengers and took the cars back to hotel and parked in front. The fellow who drives the shuttle was very assuring to us that our cars were secure. The drivers got in my van and we headed back. We did the reverse after the cruise.

There were no problems and we would do it again.

Another couple in our group parked at the terminal and were past the hour they had checked in on Saturday and were charged another $12

Archived