Travel plans to Port Canaveral

shelmo

I'm getting a little worried about my travel itinerary to Port Canaveral I'm wondering if I'm cutting it a little fine.

We are flying over from the UK to New York, spending a few days shopping, then flying to MCO late the night before our cruise. As my elderly mother is with us so I have booked a hotel near Orlando airport then booked a transfer to Port Canaveral that will pick us up at 11.00 the morning of the cruise.

Am I leaving myself enough time to get to the port and is there any likley hood that we could get snowed in at New York we fly on 19th December.

Any advice please

There is always a chance that there will be a weather delay at any time of year - if it isn't snow or ice, it could be thunderstorms. One rule I live with is never booking the last flight of the day anywhere, anytime as if it is delayed or cancelled, you're absolutely waiting until the next day to fly. So if I was you, I'd probably plan to leave NY maybe in the afternoon. That gives you some leeway.

As to your travel from your airport hotel in Orlando to the port, you'll be just fine there. The drive from the Orlando airport to the port is 45 minutes. Yes, there can be travel delays (fog, smoke, an accident), but even then you'd be looking at 2 hours tops. But if it would ease the mind a bit, then perhaps have your pick-up at 10 am instead. You may be standing in line at the port when the doors to security open, but there's nothing wrong with that!

Enjoy your visit to our part of the world! Oh - and get travel insurance!!

I'm getting a little worried about my travel itinerary to Port Canaveral I'm wondering if I'm cutting it a little fine.

We are flying over from the UK to New York, spending a few days shopping, then flying to MCO late the night before our cruise. As my elderly mother is with us so I have booked a hotel near Orlando airport then booked a transfer to Port Canaveral that will pick us up at 11.00 the morning of the cruise.

Am I leaving myself enough time to get to the port and is there any likley hood that we could get snowed in at New York we fly on 19th December.

Any advice please

Hi, I think you should be fine...

At least you fly the night before. Any later would have started to push it a bit. But I agree with the previous poster, an afternoon flight the day before to MCO would be putting you in a more "comfortable" bracket.

How late is your night flight out of New York?

If there would be a couple of scheduled flights from New York to MCO after your flight until around 11:00 the next day (day of the cruise) then you should be fine.

:)

There is the possibility of snow in NY in December. I too would try to fly down as early as possible the day before the cruise. If you were able to get to MCO early enough, you might prefer to stay at the port instead of near the airport. I am posting a thread that has a lot of info on it about the Pt Canaveral area and transfers to the port from MCO. I realize you have already booked your hotel and transfers, but you might find out something new.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=16572349&postcount=5024

If you have time, read a little of this thread. Lots of great info and I hope your trip to the US is enjoyable.

Well you will just love your time in NYC. Prime Christmas shopping and the decorations are just beautiful. My favority time in NYC.

Snow, well I agree with Katie, it CAN happen. I would change the reservations and fly earlier.. The later in the day, the more likely you are bumped out. I would change that now if you can, try for 2pm. You must pay close attention to the weather forecasts. If it sounds like a snow storm is on the way a couple of days before, Get out of town before it's predicted to hit. Bottom line, have extra $$ to pay for flight changes. Have a fabulous time in NYC.

Your other end question re Orlando to Port Canaveral, you have plenty time. Not to worry.

I would also say try to get an earlier flight out of NY the day before your cruise. You are flying out in prime holiday time-the 19th is the Sat before Christmas and folks who are taking the next week off will be traveling then. Weather in NY is not the only issue. Also have to worry about weather in other locations (where your plane or crew may be coming from), over booking and getting bumped (if you don't check in early enough) and the even present "mechanical" issues. I would even say leave by lunch on the 19th and make sure you get to MCO. What airport are you flying out of NY from? Even if you can't change to an earlier flight at that airport, it may be beneficial to try the other 2. I grew up in NY so if I can help, please ask.

Altho snow is always a possibilty, it is not common that early. I grew up in NY and go "home" every year for Christmas and NEVER in 30 years had snow issues at the airport. In that same time I seem recall that my sister had trouble once when she flew a day or 2 before me. So never say never but still I would stay and enjoy my time in NYC. Odds are greatly in your favor for no problem at all.

------------------

Helen

Archived