Butrint Albania from Corfu?

cruisemom42

We are stopping in Corfu from 9am to 6pm. I wasn't very excited about it until I realized that some cruise lines offer an excursion to Butrint, Albania (UNESCO World Heritage site; ancient Greco-Roman city).

Our line, unfortunately, does not. Has anyone done this, either via shore excursion or on your own? I understand it takes about an hour and a half to reach Butrint, via hydrofoil and bus. Does anyone know of a private agency in Corfu that could arrange this as a daytrip? Or how to do it on your own?

Our cruiseship spent the morning in Corfu town, and then the afternoon in Sarande, so we arranged for a private guide to take us from there for the quick 30-minute drive to Butrint, which, knowing your interests, truly is worth your while.

Therefore, I am unable to recommend a Corfu tour agency to help, although I understand it is an easy hydrofoil ride. However, I can highly recommend a tour guide for Butrint, who, with a driver, picked us up at the port in Sarande, and gave us an excellent two-hour tour of Butrint. Just send me an email if you want this information.

Pam

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, I have determined that we won't be able to do this given our docking schedule in Corfu -- two different tour agencies in Corfu have confirmed that the ferry leaves at 9am and doesn't return to Corfu until 7:15pm. Our ship sails at 6pm. :(

Oh well..... we will probably need a more laid back day in Corfu anyway given the rest of our trip!

Cytnthia, sorry to hear that the ferry schedule will not work for you.

However, the Old Fort in Corfu Town is worth a visit, even if just for the views alone, there also is a lovely Greek Orthodox Church, St. Spiridon, plus the old Synagogue near the New Fort.

Because next May we will have full day in Corfu, rather than just a morning, we plan to rent a car and visit the Achillion Palace (certainly not your time period of interest!), drive around this green island a bit and visit one or two of the beaches. We have no sea days on this next cruise, so we also plan to enjoy a relaxing day.

Archived