Vatican Museum Tour

wf083145

If you pre-reserve your ticket (timed entry) through the Vatican, you should experience little to no wait when you arrive. You don't have to wait in the long line for ticket purchase. Look for a separate shorter line where you will present your voucher and get your tickets.

I've seen guides around the entrance trying to get people who are waiting in line to be part of a group tour, but I've never done one and couldn't vouch for the quality. If you definitely want a tour, why not just book the Vatican guided tour through the same website as preordering tickets. The cost is minimal and includes your entry.

Well......... that's difficult to say. I wouldn't say they time your entry to the minute, so if you arrive SLIGHTLY early or late, you will probably be fine. But I wouldn't necessarily count on it -- after all, as another poster likes to say, this is Italy. The answer may differ from day to day!

We wondered which is best & which gets up past long lines for entry...

a) pre-buy tickets and get a guide from Vatican, or

b) pre-buy tickets & use a romeinlimo chosen licensed tour guide.

Understand catacombs have their own tour guides.

Any tips, heads up comments appreciated.

We wondered which is best & which gets up past long lines for entry...

a) pre-buy tickets and get a guide from Vatican, or

b) pre-buy tickets & use a romeinlimo chosen licensed tour guide.

Understand catacombs have their own tour guides.

Any tips, heads up comments appreciated.

If you pre-purchase your timed tickets from the Vatican, you will not have to wait in the line whether you have a Vatican guide, a private guide, or no guide at all.

Dear Cynthia,

I will be back in Rome in late Oct. Do you think there will be long lines? For several reasons, pre-purchasing the tickets for a time certain is not a great option for me this time. I look forward to your response. Your replies have always been wonderful.

I think you'll be fine in late October. I'd still recommend going early afternoon for the least lines.

Thanks; and enjoy your trip. It's a great time to visit the city. I will be missing my "late fall" Rome trip this year. :(

Many of the guides at the Vatican are american students in Italy, just trying to earn some extra money. Many of them are outside of St Peters and do a wonderful job. At the end of October, I don't believe the lines will be that long. Allow yourself more freedom and get your tickets there.

I will (hopefully) go to the Borgehese Gallery in the morning and the Vatican in the pm. Thank you for your suggestion.

Borghese Gallery touring suggestion courtesy of Rick Steves: because everyone enters at the same time in two-hour increments, proceed first to tour the second floor galleries, then go down to the first floor. You will have the rooms almost all to yourself as you tour. (That was our experience in June.)

Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...
If you pre-purchase your timed tickets from the Vatican, you will not have to wait in the line whether you have a Vatican guide, a private guide, or no guide at all.

If you book a Vatican tour, does that mean lots of people?

How much is a private guide?

Grazie

If you book a Vatican tour, does that mean lots of people?

How much is a private guide?

Grazie

The official Vatican museum tour is about 2 and a half hours. You are in a group that varies from around 15 people up to (I think) a maximum of 30. The group are given earphones so that everyone can hear the guide (otherwise it would be hopeless with all the tour guides talking loudly!).

As to a private guide, they are much more expensive than the Vatican tour (unless you are part of a large group, in which case it may not be a bad deal), but they vary widely. I haven't taken a private tour of the Vatican in years, so perhaps someone else could answer that better than I could.

Archived