Inside Scavi Tour

monkeyinhat

If you have been to the catacombs, you will be very disappointed in the Vatican Scavi Tour. I know I was. It reminded me of Disney World because it was so perfect and yes, even phony looking compared to the catacombs! There are glass remote doors between the sections and I expected to see audio-animatronic people to start singing or something. I will never understand why everyone thinks this is a great tour. The only benefit was ending up in St. Peter's at the end, and not having to stand in line to get in.

My experience was completely different to the above poster's. I enjoyed both the Scavi tour and the catacombs very much, but I feel the Scavi tour is not to be missed.

Yes, both tours are underground and reached through somewhat narrow passages. But the Scavi under St. Peters is somewhat more spacious (higher ceilings, wider passages). You are effectively walking in an area that used to be outside; you pass down what was an ancient road, peering into the house-like "tombs" of wealthy Roman citizens (and the not-so-wealthy who were buried there later in order to be close to St. Peter). The decoration and painting on the walls of the tombs is outstanding.

Perhaps one of the reasons for the differences noted by the previous poster is that the Scavi tombs were uncovered very recently; hence the paintings, decorations, etc have been very well preserved and the colors are still vivid. Also, as with everything else in the See, I'm sure the Vatican spares no expense to excavate and maintain the area. The catacombs, on the other hand, have been exposed to the ravages of time, man, and weather for hundreds of years.

Here's a link with a lot more information on the Vatican Scavi tour:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=854634&highlight=scavi+faqs

Wow, I have to agree with Cruisemom and disagree with Podie, we thought the tour was very worthwhile. To each his own, there are probably things you would like that I wouldn't and things we would agree on, good thing we have so many options. Yes, you do go through different sliding door areas between sections, but those are in place to keep the humidity levels from hurting the artwork and structures you see. There are places where its more closed in and dusty feeling when you breathe, and other places where its more open.

We thought the Scavi tour was great. Guide was very knowledgeable, and it was a good insight on the history of the site. Tombs were fascinating if you are interested in late Roman history.

Yes, the air was stuffy. I was getting over a cold and kept having the sensation that I couldn't get enough air. There is a lot of humidity because you are down near the Tiber River. But the passageways were fairly wide.

Archived