Computers@Sea Phased out on many ships

BayCalif-Ariz R Us

I don't know if there has been a thread about this but I have reliable information that, because of the current economic environment, Princess will be discontinuing Computers@Sea on several of their ships where that program has proven not to be profitable. This may extend to other cruiselines, but I don't know about any others.

The following Princess ships are or shortly will stop offering computer classes: Caribbean, Emerald, Royal, Ruby, Sapphire, Sea, Sun and Tahitian.

For those of us who usually take at least one class per cruise, this is very disappointing. I was glad to see that the Coral was not among them, as we've got that B2B coming up. Hopefully this is not a permanent thing.

I wouldn't be surprised. We were on the Sea Princess (Aug 22 to Sept 1) a friend went along to a Computers@ Sea class that had been advertised in the daily program - it did not state that there would be a charge - However, when the instructor mentioned that there would be a 25.00 pp charge - everyone got up and left.

Looks like folks aren't willing to pay that price now a days.

I'll address both your posts, and thank you for commenting. Yes, Doc, it is a shame that people think they can get professional instruction for free and I can see why this program is not profitable for Princess. Still, many many of us learned valuable tips that we could use in the future. I had to learn the hard way to stay away from the early Photoshop classes, because complete and total newbies (to the point of having trouble even finding the program on their desktop!) were mixed in with us advanced users. Especially toward the end of the cruise, the instructors had fewer and fewer students, so even two could make up a class.

Thanks, too, billet and I see from your profile that you are, or perhaps were, one of the instructors. Many of the instructors were let go before their contracts expired. It just came down to how fast and efficiently they could get flights home. I am hoping that the program will continue on the rest of the Princess fleet. Do you have any information on that?

I'll address both your posts, and thank you for commenting. Yes, Doc, it is a shame that people think they can get professional instruction for free and I can see why this program is not profitable for Princess. Still, many many of us learned valuable tips that we could use in the future. I had to learn the hard way to stay away from the early Photoshop classes, because complete and total newbies (to the point of having trouble even finding the program on their desktop!) were mixed in with us advanced users. Especially toward the end of the cruise, the instructors had fewer and fewer students, so even two could make up a class.

Thanks, too, billet and I see from your profile that you are, or perhaps were, one of the instructors. Many of the instructors were let go before their contracts expired. It just came down to how fast and efficiently they could get flights home. I am hoping that the program will continue on the rest of the Princess fleet. Do you have any information on that?

'Were' is accurate :) I am waiting to hear if anything might replace it.

'Were' is accurate :) I am waiting to hear if anything might replace it.

I also have it on good authority that the powers that be know who the truly exceptional instructors are and will work very hard to get them new assignments if they want them. Obviously being an instructor is not for everyone. First you have to be good at instructing and know your stuff - sadly some I encountered were neither - and then you have to work for little money and sometimes not so hot room accommodations. I think if you possessed both the good qualities, you had to also add being single and an adventuring type.

But I'm not sure I understand your comment about replacement. Do you think Princess is considering a replacement program for Computers@Sea?

I have enjoyed the Computers at Sea program. And am sorry to hear that they are discontinuing it.

I can agree most frustrating to be in a photoshop class, and have the person next to me needing computer 101 first. I have shown many people where the "any key" is on the keyboard. As in "press any key". I did still learn something in spite of the delays.

Hope they are able to bring it back one day.

I wouldn't be surprised. We were on the Sea Princess (Aug 22 to Sept 1) a friend went along to a Computers@ Sea class that had been advertised in the daily program - it did not state that there would be a charge - However, when the instructor mentioned that there would be a 25.00 pp charge - everyone got up and left.

Looks like folks aren't willing to pay that price now a days.

Hmmmm.... they've always charged for the Computers@Sea classes ('cept for the first couple beginner classes). It must have been an oversight in the Patter that they didn't mention cost.

I think they're free on HAL because Microsoft pays for it and provides the instructors. Probably true, since they're both in Seattle.

The instructors are paid by HAL and Microsoft provides the program under license.

I too took a Photoshop Elements class on Celebrity a few years ago. I took the whole series that they offered and because of those classes I bought Photoshop Elements and am using it to this day. Very beneficial for me. I too am sorry to hear they are discontinuing Computers at Sea classes.

I went three times....twice the instructor did not show up simply because they didn't have an instructor. The one class that I did attend (digital photography), the instructor was told an hour before that he was teaching the class. He wasn't happy about it, and the class was terrible...no surprise. Either the program should be done correctly, or not at all. Well, apparently, it's "not at all" now.

I had to learn the hard way to stay away from the early Photoshop classes, because complete and total newbies (to the point of having trouble even finding the program on their desktop!) were mixed in with us advanced users.

Any non-classified (open to any and all experience levels) is probably doomed. Trouble is it would be hard to fill and have enough classes for all the classifications?:eek:

Any non-classified (open to any and all experience levels) is probably doomed. Trouble is it would be hard to fill and have enough classes for all the classifications?:eek:

If the classes are small and the instructor is good then a mix of experience can actually improve the learning experience.

I'm sorry to see this go. I took Photoshop Elements from three different instructors, all of whom were good and enthusiatic. The classes did keep getting smaller and smaller, so it's understandable that Princess is terminating the program.

Les

I did wonder if there was any computer classes....I hope that they are still on the Star..I would love to be able to do more than just email, facebook and post on CC..:)

I am on the Star in November (as a passenger) and would have loved to have taught you to pass the time at sea!

Two points to make: first, check out post #1 to see a list of the Princess ships that are discontinuing Computers@Sea. Those ships not on the list presumably will continue the program. Second point: if billet's crawling insect (or any other moving, sparkling, etc. avatars) annoys you, simply hit the ESC button and it will stop moving-temporarily. Actually it just proves that billet is probably really good at computer stuff and I surely hope he'll be a Photoshop Elements instructor on one of my future cruises:D.

Two points to make: first, check out post #1 to see a list of the Princess ships that are discontinuing Computers@Sea. Those ships not on the list presumably will continue the program. Second point: if billet's crawling insect (or any other moving, sparkling, etc. avatars) annoys you, simply hit the ESC button and it will stop moving-temporarily. Actually it just proves that billet is probably really good at computer stuff and I surely hope he'll be a Photoshop Elements instructor on one of my future cruises:D.

Thank you for the compliment! Sadly I have quit the contract since marriage and business are more of a priority. I think the list of ships will vary depending on the itinerary. I thinkthe Sapphire is due for a Hawaii run and that would certainly qualify for sufficient sea days.

Thank you for the compliment! Sadly I have quit the contract since marriage and business are more of a priority. I think the list of ships will vary depending on the itinerary. I thinkthe Sapphire is due for a Hawaii run and that would certainly qualify for sufficient sea days.

That is sad news indeed but certainly understand why you quit. This may be way inappropriate, but I am somewhat desperately in need of what may turn out to be a simple solution to a problem I'm having with the Organizer in both Photoshop 4 and 7. It's holding up a very important project of mine (chronicling my upcoming HS reunion:D). If you "take questions on the air", billet, could you please send me an email at hermy8820 at cox dot net. I'm at wit's end! Thanks, Denise

Well lets see teach classes on 7 year old laptops that cant run any of the lastest programs not Vista but maybe Windows 7 I have read they can run W7 on some older xp laptops. The Photoshop stuff is very old Elements 4 or 6 depending on the instructor. 25 $ is not bad when the classes are one on one. We had a guy from New York I think his name was Marty or Matty he was excellent.

Well lets see teach classes on 7 year old laptops that cant run any of the lastest programs not Vista but maybe Windows 7 I have read they can run W7 on some older xp laptops. The Photoshop stuff is very old Elements 4 or 6 depending on the instructor. 25 $ is not bad when the classes are one on one. We had a guy from New York I think his name was Marty or Matty he was excellent.

elements 6 is on all the laptops on all the ships, some may still have elements 4 as well but that isnot what the syllabus is written for.

Archived