St. Martin-booze stores

jackdiamond

We will have the pleasure of sailing the Equinox shortly on a ten nighter; and, one of our stops is St. Martin. I have heard that the booze prices there suspass even those in St. Thomas. Accordingly, I would greatly appreciate the advice of anyone as to best booze stores close to the pier vis-a-vis their prices. Also, I would be interested in any stores which deliver to the ship.

Thank you.

We will have the pleasure of sailing the Equinox shortly on a ten nighter; and, one of our stops is St. Martin. I have heard that the booze prices there suspass even those in St. Thomas. Accordingly, I would greatly appreciate the advice of anyone as to best booze stores close to the pier vis-a-vis their prices. Also, I would be interested in any stores which deliver to the ship.

Thank you.

We went over to the French side of the island. In one of the jewelry stores in the downtown area, we bought two liters of Absolut Vodka for $8 each. It was a great deal.

On the Dutch side - St. Maarten - go to Gulmohar's on Front St. It has the best prices we think. We buy champagne, scotch & vodka and the Cuban cigars are authentic. The prices are always lower than what we have found in St. Thomas or anywhere else in the Caribbean.

We've been shopping there for years.

They also have inflatable plastic sleeves so you can check the bottles in luggage. We've done it several times and have always been successful.

Don't forget that the duty and tax free limits are higher for liquor purchased in the US Virgin Islands with an allowance for an extra bottle actually produced in the USVI.

I think it's two bottles per adult in the Caribbean and another two when purchased in USVI and another one purchased and produced in USVI. Also, I think you can save by bringing back cases of low-duty spirits like wine and paying the duty while still staying under the tax-free limits.

j

J-I believe that it is a total of six liters per person, if one of the aforesaid is produced in the Virgin Islands. I also believe that you do not have to declare one liter per preson, if you are a U.S. citizen.

By the way, where do you reside in Va. We were longtime residents of Fairfax County before retirement. As you are probably aware, Fairfax County was again, last year, declared to be the most affluent county in the country. Additionally, when I was there it was one of the few countries in the U.S. that still maintained the gold standard in primary and secondary public education.

I'm honestly confused on the allowances. I know we brought back 6 each last year - and the various USVI web sites say 5 fifths plus one local. But the official guide I found last night on the US Customs site said 4 plus 1. And no mention of not having to declare one bottle. Now that would bring it to 7 each. I usually bring back Cruzan Rum Cream as it's hard to find here (and very expensive when I get the ABC store to order it). Let me know if you can find an official US doc on the rules.

Yes - we're in Fairfax County - with one of the best school systems in the country. Like every place this year, they're cutting back, but not enough to really hurt. And, given the high income level and high education level of the parents, I think there's a recognition that we have to tax ourselves to maintain that ranking - and high house values.

Now our state colleges are another story. Richmond keeps cutting the allocation and then gripes when the tuition goes up or the schools admit more out-of-state kids. I'm afraid we've gone from being one of the great bargains - excellent schools (UVA, Tech, W&M, GMU, JMU, ODU) at good prices - to still-good schools but at average prices.

j

... Let me know if you can find an official US doc on the rules....
Check http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/duty_free.xml It states in part:

If you return directly or indirectly from a U.S. insular possession (U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, or Guam), you are allowed a $1,600 duty-free exemption.... you may include five liters of alcoholic beverages in your duty-free exemption, but one of them must be a product of an insular possession. Four may be products of other countries.

This is the per person limitation; a couple can bring twice that. Do NOT follow the advice that one bottle does not have to be declared; all liquor must be declared. Note that if your cruise includes both the USVI and Sant Maarteen you usually will not be asked where your liquor was purchased, but your mileage may vary.

Thom

I'm honestly confused on the allowances. I know we brought back 6 each last year - and the various USVI web sites say 5 fifths plus one local. But the official guide I found last night on the US Customs site said 4 plus 1. And no mention of not having to declare one bottle. Now that would bring it to 7 each. I usually bring back Cruzan Rum Cream as it's hard to find here (and very expensive when I get the ABC store to order it). Let me know if you can find an official US doc on the rules.

Yes - we're in Fairfax County - with one of the best school systems in the country. Like every place this year, they're cutting back, but not enough to really hurt. And, given the high income level and high education level of the parents, I think there's a recognition that we have to tax ourselves to maintain that ranking - and high house values.

Now our state colleges are another story. Richmond keeps cutting the allocation and then gripes when the tuition goes up or the schools admit more out-of-state kids. I'm afraid we've gone from being one of the great bargains - excellent schools (UVA, Tech, W&M, GMU, JMU, ODU) at good prices - to still-good schools but at average prices.

The information vis-a-vis the non declaration I received from someone in customer service on the Emerald Princess this April. All of my five children attended Robinson High School, and GMU.

j

I thank you for your reply.

I purchased 9 bottles total of liquor between St Thomas and St Maarten and just had 2 of liquor boxes to carry them in. I was never asked about them and no one said anything and you could obviously see I had more than I was supposed to? I've heard different stories of the amounts I could have but no one gave me a problem.

You must walk the whole strip behind the beach. We found that sometimes further down the prices are better. We were able to purchase Johnny Walker blue for $85.00 usd a few years back. Also they sell the Van Gogh vodka which they have on the ship for $ 12.95 a liter. Chocolate is my favorite. We love St-Martin and go back as often as possible.

enjoy

Claudette

Archived