New 'X' Cruiser ???'s

'The Bear'

Hello all 'X' cruisers!!

We're new to 'X', having started with 3 Carnival cruises, then 5 HAL cruises, and now a B2B on the Millenium the latter half of January 2010.:D

I'm certain that we will enjoy the Celibrity product, but I have a few neophite questions:

1. Wine packages, wine cards (actually anything wine!! ---) On HAL we were allowed unlimited wine on board. I understand that I will be allowed 2 bottles/stateroom ---- is a B2B considered two cruises or one ie 2 or 4 bottles of wine. Does 'X' sell wine cards, and/or wine packages that can be consumed in your room?

2. If I were to purchase duty free liquor during the first half of my cruise, would it be delivered to the room the night before the first half, where it might accidently get consumed during the second half?? ;)

3. Are the gratuities automatically added to your on-board account, or must you bring the cash aboard and distribute it yourself (along with any additional $$$ that you might feel appropriate?

4. Their appears to be many more, and varied excursions listed on the 'X' site, do people generally book through 'X', or search out private operators?

5. On turn-around days in San Juan, are the procedures similar to turn-around days on HAL in Fll ?

6. Is it preferable to book the specialty restaurant(s) in advance of boarding (over the internet), or can one wait until they are on the ship?

Please bear with me, with these initial simple questions --- and thanks in advance for your answers!

Well, just want to say welcome to the X board from HAL!

I can't answer any of your questions....because I am about to embark my first X cruise in quite some time, so I don't have experience yet.

Just want to say hello and welcome.

Hope you enjoy Celebrity.

They have very nice benefits for repeat cruisers. :)

Hello all 'X' cruisers!!

We're new to 'X'' date=' having started with 3 Carnival cruises, then 5 HAL cruises, and now a B2B on the Millenium the latter half of January 2010.:D

I'm certain that we will enjoy the Celibrity product, but I have a few neophite questions:

2. If I were to purchase duty free liquor during the first half of my cruise, would it be delivered to the room the night before the first half, where it might accidently get consumed during the second half?? ;)

3. Are the gratuities automatically added to your on-board account, or must you bring the cash aboard and distribute it yourself (along with any additional $$$ that you might feel appropriate?

6. Is it preferable to book the specialty restaurant(s) in advance of boarding (over the internet), or can one wait until they are on the ship?

Please bear with me, with these initial simple questions --- and thanks in advance for your answers![/quote']

2.We did a Celebrity back to back and our duty free liquor was held until the last night of the second cruise. In fact the duty free liquor shop onboard had a list of all those doing a back to back (there were over 380 of us) and they checked the list before letting people take liquor purchase back to their cabin on the last full day (on the last full day, you are allowed to take your duty free liquor purchase back to your cabin as it would have been delivered to your room on that day if you purchased it earlier).

3. Celebrity has recently changed the gratuity to an add to your sea pass account on a daily basis default. If you want to tip cash, you must opt out. Prior to this change, the default was cash and you had to opt in for adding the gratuties to your account.

6. You can prebook the specialty restaurant but I believe that you will be charged the fee at the time of booking (the same as prebooking your excursions). If there is a specific date and time you want, I would pre-book as there is limited room and the meal does take almost 3 hours so there isn't a turnover on tables each night. Otherwise, you can wait to book onboard and take your chances for the date and time you want.

You can book the specialty restaurant ahead of sailing time. We did that but we got a time we do not want. Celebrity reserves 50% of the seats for onboard bookings, so we will go straight there when we board hoping for the time and day we want. And yes, they do charge the $30pp to your CC immediately.

You will love Celebrity.

Actually I do not think pre-booking specialty restaurants would be an option. I think you have to be in the Captain's Club to be able to do that - so it would not be possible to do prior to one's first cruise on X (unless they were at least platinum on Royal Caribbean and therefore had reciprocity with Captain's Club). Your best bet is to head to the specialty restuarant soon after boarding and make your reservations then. Definitely do not miss out on this experience; X specialty restaurants are the best!

X has stated they are rolling out some new drink packages later this fall, so there hopefully should be some wine options in place for your cruise.

One "trick" re the duty free liquor is to befriend some people on the first leg of your trip who are not doing a back-to-back. Have them purchase the liquor you want (you give them cash) and then have them give it to you when it is delivered to them at the end of the first leg. Of course you'd have to trust them enough that they wouldn't take off with your booze! ;)

As for excursions, I do a variety of excursions through X as well as ones that I book on my own. Some people do all through X and others all on their own. You will have to reseach to see what is best for you.

Archived