Help, what is the main difference between RCCL and Celebrity?

Iluvjo

DW & I been on RCI & X. We agree with most posters here that both are good however, we lean towards X.

She is a TA & will always ask her clients their past cruise experiences & family makeup before recommending a cruise line. Families with youngsters are pointed toward RCI, while X is recommended for the "empty nesters".

Now that we sailed Solstice class she whole heartedly recommends to any family makeup to sail this class of X. Yea it doesn't have the rock climbing wall or the water slides etc etc, but sells the ship based on its ambiance, service & public areas.

You can eat semi healthy on both lines at the buffet but RCI has nothing like the Aqua Spa Cafe in the Celebrity's Solarium.

I challenge you to find an included fillet mignon on the menu in RCI's MDR.

First formal night, it's called fillet of beef, which is tenderloin, the same the cut of beef as fillet mignon.

Here's a quote from you on another thread: "I don't cruise with RCI so I am happier. I was just coming in for my weekly look to see what the latest cutbacks and extra charges are so I have info to convince other people to not cruise with RCI. "

Nice!!!!

Just completed 12 night cruise on Celebrity Summit.

IMHO it was not an 'upscale cruise experience' when compared to Royal Caribbean (Navigator and Serenade).

We prefer RCL but everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Was it a Medtn cruise? My friend's friend was just on it and she did not enjoy the Summit at all - but then, everyone has their own opinions as we all keep saying...

I am looking forward to my first Celebrity cruise so that I can have something to compare to - You will like the Explorer, been on it twice - beautiful ship - food is so/so... am so used to RCCL's menu's and food and like I said, I have nothing to compare it to. Corkey Carol

Thank you for all your views - I have cruised only with RCCL (over 30 cruises), once with Princess; and now will go on the Infinity/Celebrity for the first time in May 2010 (Alaska cruise)... I am looking forward to being on Celebrity. I have always heard that it is a 'step up' from RCCL -- I have enjoyed RCCL only cuz I just love being on a cruise. With all your positive remarks, I know I will enjoy my first cruise with Celebrity.

Since I am a Diamond + with RCCL, I will be an elite with Celebrity and look forward to all the perks - also booked a concierge cabin.

Corkey Carol

Hi Corkey:

Take your list of Concierge perks with you. Sometimes the stewards can get really busy and may not offer everything. We particularly like the pillow menu...I love the goose down pillows and a body pillow, DH loves the isotoner pillow.

Concierge Class has an expanded room service Breakfast menu that we really enjoy, and the delivery is very prompt. Just be aware that room service is really literal as far a what you order, e.g. if you order toast, you must also order butter and jam...it won't come automatically with the order for toast. If in doubt, write it in. When I ordered the lox and bagels, I asked (politely) for red onions and capers to accompany, and was pleased to get precisely what I asked for.

Have a great time. We love Concierge Class on Celebrity.

First formal night, it's called fillet of beef, which is tenderloin, the same the cut of beef as fillet mignon.

Here's a quote from you on another thread: "I don't cruise with RCI so I am happier. I was just coming in for my weekly look to see what the latest cutbacks and extra charges are so I have info to convince other people to not cruise with RCI. "

Nice!!!!

Exactly, gald you have the time to search out my old posts and post them here.

Nice!!!!

So Brad is annoying here too. So glad to see Celebrity is trying a flexible dining system. That should really get under his skin. :rolleyes:

PE

Hi Corkey:

Take your list of Concierge perks with you. Sometimes the stewards can get really busy and may not offer everything. We particularly like the pillow menu...I love the goose down pillows and a body pillow, DH loves the isotoner pillow.

Concierge Class has an expanded room service Breakfast menu that we really enjoy, and the delivery is very prompt. Just be aware that room service is really literal as far a what you order, e.g. if you order toast, you must also order butter and jam...it won't come automatically with the order for toast. If in doubt, write it in. When I ordered the lox and bagels, I asked (politely) for red onions and capers to accompany, and was pleased to get precisely what I asked for.

Have a great time. We love Concierge Class on Celebrity.

Thank You - I will also print out the laundry perks and internet minutes! I will order the butter and jam - cream/splenda!! thanx for the tips - I appreciate it... Corkey

So Brad is annoying here too. So glad to see Celebrity is trying a flexible dining system. That should really get under his skin. :rolleyes:

PE

The OP was asking for a comparison of the 2 lines. It's really unfortunate and unfair to the OP for someone to compare them when he doesn't cruise one. Then we learn he has some vendetta against Royal for whatever reason. Isn't there a name for people who do this kind of thing on boards?

Thank You - I will also print out the laundry perks and internet minutes! I will order the butter and jam - cream/splenda!! thanx for the tips - I appreciate it... Corkey

Corkey, make sure you try out the waffles at breakfast on the buffet. They are really good and served with a variety of syrups.

we cruise both lines & are Elite (& Diamond resulting from that)

lately Royal is cutting perks & cutting back overall while Celebrity is adding more & more perks & luxuries for its repeat cruisers at certain levels (free laundry, free internet, parties, wine tasting, ship's tours)...

Royal has, instituted reserved places at the pool & theatre for only suite guests,& now apparently has a towel sign out system and charges if you want a better steak in the MDR (kind of tacky!)

To us Celebrity is much more elegant with regard to service, dining, ambiance and overall experience.... limited PA announcements & no hairy legs contests..& the new S class ships are gorgeous..

For us, Royal is more for a fun time in the sun cruise with decent but not great food & very good service...& much better bands on board.. Depends on what you are looking for in a cruise...that's why we cruise on both lines--for some variety.. have fun--

Corkey, make sure you try out the waffles at breakfast on the buffet. They are really good and served with a variety of syrups.

Friends who cruise X have told me about the waffles!! sounds yummy -- also the ice cream with all the different toppings! I think RCCL charges for that -

and yes, you are right, how can you compare if you haven't cruised both? as for me, I have only been on RCCL so have no clue what X is like - but I am going to find out in May 2010! can't wait!!!

Corkey

we cruise both lines & are Elite (& Diamond resulting from that)

lately Royal is cutting perks & cutting back overall while Celebrity is adding more & more perks & luxuries for its repeat cruisers at certain levels (free laundry, free internet, parties, wine tasting, ship's tours)...

Royal has, instituted reserved places at the pool & theatre for only suite guests,& now apparently has a towel sign out system and charges if you want a better steak in the MDR (kind of tacky!)

To us Celebrity is much more elegant with regard to service, dining, ambiance and overall experience.... limited PA announcements & no hairy legs contests..& the new S class ships are gorgeous..

For us, Royal is more for a fun time in the sun cruise with decent but not great food & very good service...& much better bands on board.. Depends on what you are looking for in a cruise...that's why we cruise on both lines--for some variety.. have fun--

Yes, RCCL has been cutting back - no choc's on the pillows, no more gifts from Crown and Anchor, etc etc.. however, when we first started cruising in 1988 and every yr since, we didn't get a lot of perks then and we still enjoyed the idea of being on vacation, on a beautiful ship, going to places we wanted to see, and being away from work.

It depends on what you are looking for - We go for the fun and enjoyment of being on a CRUISE.. Corkey

The OP was asking for a comparison of the 2 lines. It's really unfortunate and unfair to the OP for someone to compare them when he doesn't cruise one. Then we learn he has some vendetta against Royal for whatever reason. Isn't there a name for people who do this kind of thing on boards?

He does the same thing over on the NCL boards. He just wants his cruising to be a certain way and there is absolutely no room for change let alone improvement. ;)

I know the exact name you are thinking of. :rolleyes:

PE

Ive just stopped cruising them after 18 cruises. So I have experienced the cutbacks. 15 cruises with Celebrity, and my 53 cruise coming in October on HAL.

also the ice cream with all the different toppings!

Corkey

The ice cream is very good and tempting, I do however limit my intake knowing that overindulging will have dire consequences after the cruise is over.;)

We are fairly experienced cruisers, having cruised about 25 times in the last eleven years. We are elite on celebrity and diamond on Royal. We cruised the Century before the advent of the M class; and, we have cruised M class, CC, or higher since. We will also cruise the Equinox in AQ shortly. All of our Royal cruises have been on the Radiance. While we are pleased with the Radiance (we will cruise her again next year) we feel that the Celebrity M and S class are a wee bit higher in class. I would guess that the lower Celebrity ships would also be a notch higher than the comparable Royal ships.

WE have not cruised the larger Royal ships; hence, I can offer no assessment of their status, except to suggest that they may be a better alternative for families.

We'll put, my thoughts also. (though I had horrible food and dining room service on the Century.)

Based on our experience, the ship itself is more important than the cruise line.

One of our worst cruises was on RCCL's Sovereign of the Seas in 1998 while one of our best cruises was on RCCL's Brilliance of the Seas to the Greek Isles and Turkey last year.

Similarly, one of our worst cruises was on Celebrity's Mercury in 2005 while two of our best cruises were on Celebrity's Infinity to Alaska in 2001 and on Celebrity's Constellation to Russia in 2006.

The ice cream is very good and tempting, I do however limit my intake knowing that overindulging will have dire consequences after the cruise is over.;)

You can cut back or cutout AFTER the cruise - in the meantime, Enjoy he ice cream!! Corkey

We enjoyed the food much more on Celebrity.

In particular,

1)the room service breakfast menus were more varied.

2) On Royal C, we had to send a couple of steaks back that were tough

3) on Royal C, the breakfast in the dining room was horrid, inedible eggs Benedict for all 12 of us at the table.

4) Dinner salads on Celebrity were fantastic, lots of choice and very tasty combinations.

5) delicious soups on Celebrity too.

However the dining room staff on Royal C really went out of their way to make our meal memorable. They brought us many of our favorites without us ordering them, eg bernaise sauce. Also their lunch buffet was much nicer and more varied than Celebrity.

We enjoyed the quality of the evening performances in the theater a little more on Royal C too.

Was it a Medtn cruise? My friend's friend was just on it and she did not enjoy the Summit at all - but then, everyone has their own opinions as we all keep saying...

I am looking forward to my first Celebrity cruise so that I can have something to compare to - You will like the Explorer, been on it twice - beautiful ship - food is so/so... am so used to RCCL's menu's and food and like I said, I have nothing to compare it to. Corkey Carol

Yes 26 August sailing Venice to Barcelona.

Based on our experience, the ship itself is more important than the cruise line.

One of our worst cruises was on RCCL's Sovereign of the Seas in 1998 while one of our best cruises was on RCCL's Brilliance of the Seas to the Greek Isles and Turkey last year.

Similarly, one of our worst cruises was on Celebrity's Mercury in 2005 while two of our best cruises were on Celebrity's Infinity to Alaska in 2001 and on Celebrity's Constellation to Russia in 2006.

I just wanted to point out something in my previous post quoted above. With the RCCL example it is possible that their product improved over the years as they built nicer ships with larger cabins, but that was not the case in my Celebrity example. Our 2005 cruise on Mercury, which was one of our worst cruises ever, was a few years after our wonderful 2001 cruise to Alaska on Infinity but prior to our 2006 Baltic cruise to Russia on Constellation, which was also one of my favorite cruises.

Archived