Help, what is the main difference between RCCL and Celebrity?

Iluvjo

We have cruised RCCL 6 times in the past and are wondering if it was time to upgrade to a classier cruise line. We have had such a wonderful time on RCCL and to be honest I am afraid of change. Can anyone tell what is better on Celebrity???? I can see it costs more but, what is the real difference. We are both thirty something. Are the ships geared for the more seasoned passenger without little ones...

Leo

I will try to help as I've only been on two cruises--First one Celebrity Millenium and second RCI Radiance of the Seas. We went Celebrity one year and then Royal the following. We LOVED the millenium and we would have done that again but it was the same time of year and we figured we should try something different. I wish that we had done it the other way around because we had such a wonderful experience on X (Celebrity) so we ended up being a little dissapointed. The ship on Royal was very pretty but we felt that we were treated so special on Celebrity and I didn't feel the same way on Royal. Nothing particularly bad happened--(except the weather was bad the whole week but I'm not including that in my neg assessment of course!!) For example-we had a table of 6 on Celebrity and each night our waiter was amazing-I think he was from the Phillapines. He just was so nice and so helpful. On Royal we had a waiter that just didn't give that extra touch and it made a big difference. The other thing I can say--this might sound a little snobby but X seemed a little more upscale--can't explain but it was just a classier feel on Celebrity. Also--I don't recall children on either ship--we went first of Dec both times so it was not over any school break--but depending on when you go-X is less child-friendly and Royal seems to offer more to kids. THE FOOD--this was major--I forgot--The food was better by a long shot on Celebrity. We thought it was normal because that was our first cruise--I could tell the food was not as good on Royal. Not bad but not as amazing. Our ship on X had the special dining experience-I can't remember the name but it was paneled with the real paneling from the sister ship of the Titantic. It was BEAUTIFUL-had the original captin's table too in the wine room--forget what that is called :)

If you have been on Royal--I can't imagine that you wouldn't be happy on Celebrity--but you love Royal so if there is a good cruise offered on that ship you know you won't be dissapointed. For a little more money--I tend to think X is worth it--try it!

I will try to help as I've only been on two cruises--First one Celebrity Millenium and second RCI Radiance of the Seas. We went Celebrity one year and then Royal the following. We LOVED the millenium and we would have done that again but it was the same time of year and we figured we should try something different. I wish that we had done it the other way around because we had such a wonderful experience on X (Celebrity) so we ended up being a little dissapointed. The ship on Royal was very pretty but we felt that we were treated so special on Celebrity and I didn't feel the same way on Royal. Nothing particularly bad happened--(except the weather was bad the whole week but I'm not including that in my neg assessment of course!!) For example-we had a table of 6 on Celebrity and each night our waiter was amazing-I think he was from the Phillapines. He just was so nice and so helpful. On Royal we had a waiter that just didn't give that extra touch and it made a big difference. The other thing I can say--this might sound a little snobby but X seemed a little more upscale--can't explain but it was just a classier feel on Celebrity. Also--I don't recall children on either ship--we went first of Dec both times so it was not over any school break--but depending on when you go-X is less child-friendly and Royal seems to offer more to kids. THE FOOD--this was major--I forgot--The food was better by a long shot on Celebrity. We thought it was normal because that was our first cruise--I could tell the food was not as good on Royal. Not bad but not as amazing. Our ship on X had the special dining experience-I can't remember the name but it was paneled with the real paneling from the sister ship of the Titantic. It was BEAUTIFUL-had the original captin's table too in the wine room--forget what that is called :)

If you have been on Royal--I can't imagine that you wouldn't be happy on Celebrity--but you love Royal so if there is a good cruise offered on that ship you know you won't be dissapointed. For a little more money--I tend to think X is worth it--try it!

Holy cow!! What a great little mini review!! Thank you so much, you paint a great picture ty

Interestingly, I'm looking at possible cruises where RCCL and Celebrity have ships leaving and returning to the same port at the same time for the same number of days and going to similar ports, and Celebrity is actually slightly less expensive than RCCL.

We like both. The difference I notice in Celebrity over RCCL, and it is a petty one, is that there are no announcements on X. On RCCL, you hear announcements of bingo in half an hour, bingo in 15 minutes, art auction starts soon, and usually a reading of the daily schedule. On X, they assume you can read. ;) Nancy

We are Diamond C&A members and went on our first X cruise in March of this year. X has RCCI beat hands down. Don't get me wrong, we have had great cruises, good service, and a lot of fun with RCCI, but X is much more grown up and classy.

X starts you out with a welcome glass of champagne, offers Butler Service in their suites, never hawks services on the PA, and really offers relaxation on the ship. You won't find belly flop contests, Flow Rider, in line skating or rock climbing, but you will find many places to relax, meet friends and have a drink or talk. There is great service all over the ship, and you are never rushed. It really is like the commercial says, it is all about you.

X's excursions are the same as RCCI, so when it is time to get out and have fun you have a lot to choose from.

Sovereign of the Seas 4/2002

Majesty of the Seas 11/2002

Grandeur of the Seas 3/2003

Sovereign of the Seas 12/2003

Splendour of the Seas 04/2004

Empress of the Seas 01/2005

Empress of the Seas 08/2005

Tahitian Princess 08/2006

Serenade of the Seas 01/2007

Ecstasy 03/2007

Navigator of the Seas 02/2008

Celebrity Solstice 03/2009

Celebrity Equinox 03/2010

Navigator of the Seas 11/2010

Interestingly, I'm looking at possible cruises where RCCL and Celebrity have ships leaving and returning to the same port at the same time for the same number of days and going to similar ports, and Celebrity is actually slightly less expensive than RCCL.

That is a very common situation. While RCCL has some very low pricing on their old ships, their newer ships have a tendency to be more expensive than Celebrity for a comparable ship with a similar itinerary.

It's the little touches that make Celebrity more refined, not boring. The waiter will pull out the chair for the women, yes madam! The ships can be full and it never seems to be as crowded as an RCCL ship. Celebrity has solmier, not wine stewards and not the head waiter pouring wine. Actually the solmier will por your wine for you. On a waam day after being in port Celebrity will have ice/cold towels and juice and or water wating for you as you board the ship. The food is suppose to be better but that is for another board. There is more service staff on board the ship the ratio staff to passenger is higher. If you need help I have always been able to find someone.

It's the little touches that make Celebrity more refined, not boring. The waiter will pull out the chair for the women, yes madam! The ships can be full and it never seems to be as crowded as an RCCL ship. Celebrity has solmier, not wine stewards and not the head waiter pouring wine. Actually the solmier will por your wine for you. On a waam day after being in port Celebrity will have ice/cold towels and juice and or water wating for you as you board the ship. The food is suppose to be better but that is for another board. There is more service staff on board the ship the ratio staff to passenger is higher. If you need help I have always been able to find someone.

There is one major difference between RCCL and Celebrity that affects how crowded their ships are. RCCL attracts young couples with children so they frequently have a third or forth passenger in their cabin. Celebrity, on the other hand, attracts a much older demographic so their ships frequently sail with only two passengers per cabin and a number of their cabins are occupied by solo cruisers who don't even have a second passenger in their cabin.

Both companies have there good points. Royal is more lively, offers more things to do during the day and night and is geared to a younger market. Celebrity is more sedate, relaxing and attracts an older crowd. Royal offers a much better night life than Celebrity. I know food is subjective. Celebrity gets a slight edge on food, but the dining rooms are not any better in my opinion.

Because of your ages, I strongly recommend looking at the Solstice class ships. The ships are gorgeous and we found the clientele was younger than other classes of Celebrity ships and they have some evening venues better suited for younger people.

Hope this helps. I think you can't go wrong on either line.

Get the best of both worlds.. do the Solstice in the Caribbean. My own thoughts are that it is an upscale RCCL ship looking for we =X='rs. Just too much to do on a big classy ship with no announcements great food and service the we like so much.

welcome champagne, way better food with better offerings, you dont have to pay $15 for a steak in the MDR, the still serve a fillet in the MDR where RCI does not, room service is not an extra cost, you still get chocolates on your pillow at night, you can have all the ice cream with toppings with out the extra charge, you can get pool towels by the pool without having to either take them from you room or have to check them out.

The buffet on the Solstice is to us way better than any RCI buffet. They have the healthy buffet on most ships, cold towels when you come back to the ship at ports.

Now Captains club has really expanded the benefits to go way past RCI in what the Crown and Anchor now offers.

RCI seems to be constantly cutting/charging extra for anything and everything where I did not notice it on Celebrity.

I personally enjoy the calmer and more elegant and relaxed atmosphere on the X ships. I have friends who have done both and prefer RCI because they like a higher energy, more nightlife, and a bit hipper vibe. They were bored on their X cruise, esp after 10 at night. For me, I like the elegance over the excitement.

welcome champagne, way better food with better offerings, you dont have to pay $15 for a steak in the MDR, the still serve a fillet in the MDR where RCI does not, room service is not an extra cost, you still get chocolates on your pillow at night, you can have all the ice cream with toppings with out the extra charge, you can get pool towels by the pool without having to either take them from you room or have to check them out.

Welcome Champagne? You get that on NCL. Sorry the food is better but not way better. Royal does serve fillet in formal night and I'm thankful to pay the additional money on a night when I'm not wild about the menu. Room service is only charged during the wee hours of the night. I'll give you the choclates and the ice cream, but seriously, does that pillow chocolate make your cruise?

The buffet on the Solstice is to us way better than any RCI buffet. They have the healthy buffet on most ships, cold towels when you come back to the ship at ports.

The buffets are a toss up and you can eat healthy on both lines.

Now Captains club has really expanded the benefits to go way past RCI in what the Crown and Anchor now offers.

I'll concede the Elite benefits are better regarding laundry and internet, but these only are available to those who have 10 cruise credits or more.

RCI seems to be constantly cutting/charging extra for anything and everything where I did not notice it on Celebrity.

All cruise lines are cutting back and Celebrity is no different.

Obviously, I've cruised both lines and like them both for different reasons. I have 5 Celebrity and 4 Royal cruises booked and will enjoy them both. I just personally think there is not as wide a divide between the two as you do.

We started cruising on Royal in the l980s. Stopped cruising when they started to build the first larger ships and the cabins were smaller. Noticed the beds were not even a regular size twin.

We switched to Princess, then tried NCL, Crystal, HAL and Celebrity.

Now we cruise Princess, Celebrity and HAL primarily. Going to try Cunard in 2011. Dropped NCL a few years back too.

What is interesting to me is that RCI, the parent company, owns both of the lines being discussed. I am a Diamond member on RCI and I found it hard to understand why they took away benefits....while X was rolling out the same sort of benefits. As I say, this from the same company! But OK, so I cruised on X Infinity....and I loved it! I found the food to be much better....and when the previous poster mentioned the healthy buffet, that didn't mean just that X's buffet has healthier items vs. RCI's buffet, it means that X offers a separate lunch buffet in the Spa designed for those wanting to eat healthier.

That being said, for the right price, there is no wrong cruise. Or cruise line, as far as I'm concerned.

Thank you for all your views - I have cruised only with RCCL (over 30 cruises), once with Princess; and now will go on the Infinity/Celebrity for the first time in May 2010 (Alaska cruise)... I am looking forward to being on Celebrity. I have always heard that it is a 'step up' from RCCL -- I have enjoyed RCCL only cuz I just love being on a cruise. With all your positive remarks, I know I will enjoy my first cruise with Celebrity.

Since I am a Diamond + with RCCL, I will be an elite with Celebrity and look forward to all the perks - also booked a concierge cabin.

Corkey Carol

But OK, so I cruised on X Infinity....and I loved it! I found the food to be much better.

That being said, for the right price, there is no wrong cruise. Or cruise line, as far as I'm concerned.

Funny, we cruised on the Century last March and it was the worst dining room experience we've ever had. Also sailed on Solstice last winter and ate in Blu, the best cruise food and by a wide margin.

I have also found Celebrity to be less expensive. go figure.

we enjoy cel (elite) much more than rc(4 cruises) you are given a tray to go thru buffet line not just a plate. very few announcements very few games pool side prices are about same service is a little more upscale proper silverware, white gloves, food is much better imo on cel. we dw & i that the food on rc was a little out of range

Archived