McKinley Creekside Cabins or Denali Lakeview Inn

Jimbo

Well, having just got back from staying at the Denali Lakeview Inn, I would highly recommend it. We stayed there on Sept. 6 and 7. Every room has an awesomely beautiful view of Otto Lake with a resident moose and her calf which shows up occasionally. The morning we were packing up they both walked across the lake. What a sight! The view here is totally worth the 8 mile drive north from glitter gulch.

Also, very friendly and helpful staff. They put a continental style breakfast in your refrigerator every day consisting of fruit, muffins and cold and hot cereal (for you to microwave) is available. There is also coffee, tea and hot chocolate available via those little packets in your room.

If I have a rental car again in the future, I wouldn't stay anywhere else except Denali Lakeview Inn.

Denali Lakeview Inn is also nice cause they don't allow any smoking at all either inside or outside on the premises.

Going in early Sept. was just gorgeous cause all of the fall colors were everywhere.The hillsides and landscapes were just filled with reds, yellows, orange and gold with evergreen pine trees coming up in between.

I also chime in with the Denali Lake View Inn. I just stayed there Late August and I would stay there again in a heart beat. Our Party had three rooms on the lowest floor and each was great!. DON'T be put off by what you pass on the driveway into it lots of older vehicles and an older building), as it does give you a start until you realize the Inn is urther down the driveway.

I Believe I stayed in the Moonglow room. The view is to die for, it is a well run operation, and I couldn't think of a more comfortable place to spend a few days when you are in hat area.

I would recommend however, not ordering the bag lunch for the next day. While it is plentiful for the price, your choice is limited, and most in our party wished we got something from Subway in glitter Gulch the night before.

John

Office of great views

The Zamgwar Institute

Hi Jimbo,

Just thought I'd offer the opinion from someone who stayed at McKinley Creekside Cabins this August (I've never seen or stayed at the Lake View Inn, but just looked at their website and considered it for our trip). The Creekside was better for us because we are a family of 5 and they offer large cabins that have 3 beds in the one cabin and they had a full restaurant. And, I liked having our own full cabin vs. being in rooms attached to others...for soundproofing reasons.

Also, we were driving up to Denali after flying into ANC from Boston that day....looooong travel day. The Creekside being south of the park entrance shortened our drive just a bit vs. going to Healy.

We had a great stay at the McKinley Creekside Cabins...their restaurant is small and quaint with excellent food. We ate a dinner, two breakfasts and got box lunches from them and we're very pleased with all.

It's great to have a couple of good choices!!

Happy planning!

Lynne

Lynn,

Thanks for the review, still kind of undecided but we did just book a Deluxe Creekside Cabin for 2 nights. $105 a night No cancel charges if we should change our mind before then. Wanted to have something incase prices jump alot higher later.

Still love the looks of Denali Lakeview Inn though, it's only about $29 more per night for the room we are looking at that DOES have a private outside entrance.

Like you said though it is about 12 miles north of the Parks entrance while McKinley Creekside is about 13 miles South of the Parks entrance.

They do have a $20 cancellation fee though.

Jimbo:)

Archived