Gentleman Hosts on Prinsendam

luvcruisn'

How would I find out if there are gentleman hosts - i.e., men who will dance with the ladies, on our Prinsendam cruise. The first cruise is 24 days leaving Athens, going to Fort Lauderdale, followed by a 26 day cruise going to the Amazon. I have heard that there are gentleman hosts on cruises of 30 days or longer, so I don't know if these cruises will qualify.

I'm wondering how this will play out on my upcoming Rotterdam cruise. It's a Collector's Voyage of 32 days, but can be purchased as two separate cruises of 14 and 18 days.

So, which will it be? A cruise that qualifies for Gentlemen Hosts, because it's a long cruise? Or no hosts, because it's two shorter cruises?

Not that I really care, as I've usually found the Gentlemen Hosts to be worthless in that role, but I am curious.

I love to dance, Pepper ,sometimes. I danced with one of the gentleman on a Hawaii cruise and loved every moment. Don't be so hard on the guys.Some of our husbands/friends, don't dance, or won't dance and we want to dance.

Cely

Can someone explain just what a gentleman host is...or does?

In a nutshell; they are gentlemen hired by HAL to dance with, mostly single, ladies in the ship's night-time venues such as, mostly, the Ocean Bar and, sometimes, the Crow's Nest. You usually only find them on the longer HL cruises

Kakalina: Thanks for your suggestion of calling Ships Services. I will do that and see what I find out.

Ruth C: The dance/gentlemen hosts are not all bad. I have had several evenings on cruises dancing, when without the gentlemen hosts, I would have just been sitting there, watching others dance with their partners.

Ruth C: The dance/gentlemen hosts are not all bad.

Agreed. The four on my 2001 trans-At Big Band cruise were wonderful. They danced with every woman who wanted to dance; didn't have favorites that monopolized them; they danced every dance' date=' and never took a break. Although they weren't the best-ever dancers, they were charming, pleasant men who danced well enough. [/color']

The ones on the other cruises I've taken could take a lesson from them.

And let's not even go in to the one who spent his evenings in the Ocean Bar, uploading his photos. :rolleyes:

Agreed. The four on my 2001 trans-At Big Band cruise were wonderful. They danced with every woman who wanted to dance; didn't have favorites that monopolized them; they danced every dance, and never took a break. Although they weren't the best-ever dancers, they were charming, pleasant men who danced well enough.

The ones on the other cruises I've taken could take a lesson from them.

And let's not even go in to the one who spent his evenings in the Ocean Bar, uploading his photos. :rolleyes:

Ruth, I would have danced with you! You had only to say the word!

Then again, neither of us would have wanted to spill our cocktails, would we? :)

Mostly, the dance hosts do not work for the cruise line but are provided by an agency- “Gentleman Host” is used by one agency, others have different names. If you can’t get a straight answer from HAL about Prinsendam, the agencies might be willing to tell you what cruises they have contracts for. The ones I know are Compass, Sixth Star and To Sea With Z. Most of the information you find on the Internet is out of date or pure nonsense.

The hosts have to pay for the trip. With all the rules and restrictions, it’s not a particularly good deal.

Favoritism is most definitely against any of the agencies’ policies. Unfortunately, evaluating the hosts is not a priority for the cruise staffs. If you’ve been on a ship with poor hosts (or good ones), you should send an evaluation direct to the agency.

If dancing is important to you, you could try a dance group that provides hosts. These hosts only dance with the group and usually have been much more carefully selected. I’ve traveled as a host but now mostly as a passenger with dance groups. Even the groups that don’t have hosts, there are always several single guys.

Archived