Have booked with a US TA. Please help!

fridaythecat.u.k.

Thank you for asking us to help with your cruise on the Grand Princess for 1/31/11 (14 nights). I cannot search your captains circle number and it could make a difference in the price. Technically US agents aren't allowed to book out of the country but we do and we just use our address on the booking. We cannot sell you insurance though. If you could find your captains circle number though it could make a difference on the pricing.

I live in the UK and I recently contacted a US TA re a quote for a Princess cruise. Above is the answer I received, by e-mail, yesterday. There is also a very large online US TA who will also book UK residents and who actually has a toll free number on their site for UK residents. By booking the cruise with a US TA rather than one in the UK where you are sold a package (cruise + airfare + hotel) and by booking our own airfare (with the airline of our choice) and our choice of Ft Lauderdale hotel, we not only get to stay in FL for two days pre-cruise but actually save almost £800 ($1200) in total. No brainer.

We always get travel insurance. If you have to cancel your trip after the final payment, after you have paid for airfare etc. The Insurance will refund you. Read the insurnace paper work to make sure this is the kind of coverage you will need before you purchase. Have a fun time.

Canadians do not figure into this - they are allowed to be booked by US TAs. It's those in the UK and other countries that are not supposed to be booked by US TAs. (Not saying they don't, can't, or won't, just that they aren't supposed to be per Princess policy.)

Why are Canadians allowed to book through US TA's, yet other members of the British Commonwealth, such as Australia, NZ, UK, are not supposed to?

• 3 weeks later...
As a TA in the US working for a very large agency, we cannot book a Princess cruise to anyone who does not have a US address. Have you gotten complete confirmation of your reservation? Also, documents may be a bit of a problem unless they will be mailed to the US. I hope all works out well for you.

US agencies have handled this for years.

1) Use the agency address for a US address. The bigger issue is a credit card with a non US billing address. In that case, one option is the agency can charge in house and then pay the cruise line. Medium size agencies can handle this.

2) E-docs now! E-mail address has no country on it. If anything has to be mailed, then the agency can resend it.

Once final payment has been made, am I correct in thinking that everything is then fixed - i.e. no refares, no refund of cruise if I cancel (other than insurance)?

A refund of some of the cruise fare may apply even if you cancel after the final payment is made. Here is HAL's cancellation policy

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/CruisePreparation.action?contentMenu=Changes%20&%20Cancellations&contentSubMenu=Cancellation%20Policies

Archived