Car rental in Auckland

J18ktleo

There are, and they seem pricier than those here in Australia - and therefore the U.S. too.

Not sure what to point out, but we and they drive on the left. Insurance through car rental is a bit different, in that there is an excess amount which you have to pay in case of any insured claim, and they will offer to reduce that excess at time of rental by payment of an extra daily charge.

Most of the majors are represented there though, and I don't think there's anything to distinguish one over another different from the situation in the US.

Any advice for car rental agencies in Auckland? There are quite a few to choose from and is there anything we should know coming from the States???:rolleyes:

A couple of things.

Check out this site for pricing (includes all major agencies):

http://www.vroomvroomvroom.com.au/ (just select NZ)

I found a much better price there than with Hertz directly.

The other thing involves insurance. If you are using your CC to insure you (declining CDW), you should not use Amex as I believe they exclude coverage in a few countries (including NZ) -check with your CC directly.

Hope this helps.

Paulchili,

Thanks so much.

Just wrote down that name last nite re: rental in Hobart (which I'm looking at...).

AmEx has a new car rental insurance that you can attach to your card and it's good everywhere in the world EXCEPT Aus/Nz and a couple of other countries. :cool:

Thanks for the advice!

Paulchili,

Thanks so much.

Just wrote down that name last nite re: rental in Hobart (which I'm looking at...).

AmEx has a new car rental insurance that you can attach to your card and it's good everywhere in the world EXCEPT Aus/Nz and a couple of other countries. :cool:

Thanks for the advice!

You are welcome.

I made reservations through vroom in Auckland and Hobart (Diamond Princess Feb 2010)

Actually, I just went on to book and amazingly enough most of the deals were gone for the dates I needed! However, I did book thru About New Zealand and it was considerably less than the quotes on Vroom, even adding in the total insurance package!:)

Archived