Buying cigarettes on board the Dawn???

Diabloshalo

I know they carry Marlboro red box, Marlboro Lights, Marlboro Ultra-light, and Marlboro Menthol.

Prices vary with quantity purchased, and I think right now you can get 2 cartons together in a package deal for about 45 dollars. There are also specials from time to time in the duty free shop.

Might also be cheaper in port depending where you are going...

Thank you! Never thought of buying them in port. We'll be in Bermuda for 3 days. I'll look into that as well. Inlaws are coming along- so we can buy a few extra to carry home!

I can't help but share my story on this one. Doug and I took a land trip to Cancun one year. I think we were there for a week. At the time, cigs in Dallas were around $1.85 a pack or something like that. I don't remember exactly, but not very much. Anyway we knew we were leaving in a day or two for Cancun so we did not stock up on them here, we just thought we would wait until we were in Cancun and get them much cheaper. So our flight lands and we proceed to our hotel. All the way there, every where we stop I try to find my brand of cigs because i was down to like 3 cigs. Couldn't find them anywhere. Finally that night we go to dinner and I just give up on finding my brand (at the time Mar. Ultra Lite 100) and at the restaurant we went to they had a cigar bar where you could buy cigars, cigs, etc etc. So as we were being seated at our table I spotted the cigar bar and told Doug I was going to get a pack of smokes I would meet him at the table. I went and got them and came back to the table. I was so proud of myself.. just beaming with pride that I got this pack of cuban cigs for $.60 American. Doug looked at the price tag and started laughing. I am SOOOOO horrible at money exchange in my head. I had paid for them in peso's and what I paid equated to $6.00 American..LOL. I wish he had turned the video cam on me because I am sure I was a sight to see deflating like I did. I went from beaming to just a clump of defeatedness.. LOL. From then on, when it was something we had to buy in peso's, I had Doug pay for it.. LOL.

Point of my story?? If in a foreign country and paying for something in anything but the currency you are comfortable with, double check your math.. LOL

Whenever we go to any port in the virgin islands we always buy an extra 10 cartons to take home. So far it's always been St. Thomas but I really like the fact we can get cigarettes there fo about 1/5 what they cost at home.

Whenever we go to any port in the virgin islands we always buy an extra 10 cartons to take home. So far it's always been St. Thomas but I really like the fact we can get cigarettes there fo about 1/5 what they cost at home.

Wow.. this is great info to have Mr. Lee. So you can buy that many and get them past customs because you bought them at St. Thomas? I always thought the customs allowance was 1 carton PP. Although I have to say we have brought back more than that without any issue before we found out what the limit was.

Terry, if you ever visit the UK bring plenty with you. They are £5.85 per pack here! That is about $9.50. Also I only ever see Marlbro and Marlbro lights in the UK. Not sure what I was smoking when I was in the US earlier this year but they were just fine (No Silk Cut Purples anywhere) and were definately cheaper than my UK purchases even if I did get 2 cartons for £44 duty free at Heathrow.

Wow.. this is great info to have Mr. Lee. So you can buy that many and get them past customs because you bought them at St. Thomas? I always thought the customs allowance was 1 carton PP. Although I have to say we have brought back more than that without any issue before we found out what the limit was.

Yes, the rules are different for the U.S. Virgin Islands. You are allowed 5 cartons per person over 18 (21?) I'm not entirely sure on the age requirement. I always declare the 10 cartons and was only asked once where I bought them. When I said St. Thomas, he just waved us through.

You can bring more booze back too but since we don't drink at home usually we don't bother so I'm not sure about limits. The CD aboard will probably know.

You are also allowed $1200 duty free from there as opposed to $600 elsewhere.

Stupid question I know...

Bermuda is not considered the Caribbean but can I still get the 5 carton/pp from there??

To the best of my knowledge it's only the U.S.Virgin islands (St. Thomas, St. Croix and St. John). Your cruise Director will probably know for sure.

Where do you live? 1/5 works out to $110.00/carton as compared to St. Thomas at about $22.00/carton. Probably more now. Just sayin.........

Where do you live? 1/5 works out to $110.00/carton as compared to St. Thomas at about $22.00/carton. Probably more now. Just sayin.........

Exactly! Depending on brand they sell for around $7 to $10 per pack.

Actually I don't pay that personally. I usually buy an off brand and buy them at the Indian reservation. If I wanted my prefered brand it would still cost $50.00 +/- even at the reservaqtion. :(

Exactly! Depending on brand they sell for around $7 to $10 per pack.

Actually I don't pay that personally. I usually buy an off brand and buy them at the Indian reservation. If I wanted my prefered brand it would still cost $50.00 +/- even at the reservaqtion. :(

Now I'm really confused. Bought (1) carton on the Dawn last year. (cause I ran out) $24.00/carton. (2) sold for $22.00/carton and the (5) carton box sold for $99.00. As I said....the price has probably gone up.

I also by mine at an Indian Reservation and with the price increase I pay $22.30/carton for an equivilant name brand.

Now I'm really confused. Bought (1) carton on the Dawn last year. (cause I ran out) $24.00/carton. (2) sold for $22.00/carton and the (5) carton box sold for $99.00. As I said....the price has probably gone up.

I also by mine at an Indian Reservation and with the price increase I pay $22.30/carton for an equivilant name brand.

I guess they feel that they have a monoply around here. Any time I've been there the store was full of people and the drive up had long lines.

The closest competition would be Turning Stone (around 30 miles away) but their price aren't any better on brand names.

Terry, if you ever visit the UK bring plenty with you. They are £5.85 per pack here! That is about $9.50. Also I only ever see Marlbro and Marlbro lights in the UK. Not sure what I was smoking when I was in the US earlier this year but they were just fine (No Silk Cut Purples anywhere) and were definately cheaper than my UK purchases even if I did get 2 cartons for £44 duty free at Heathrow.

Thanks for the tip. Our's here in Texas have gone from about $3.25 to about $6.00 per pack in the last few months.

Yes, the rules are different for the U.S. Virgin Islands. You are allowed 5 cartons per person over 18 (21?) I'm not entirely sure on the age requirement. I always declare the 10 cartons and was only asked once where I bought them. When I said St. Thomas, he just waved us through.

You can bring more booze back too but since we don't drink at home usually we don't bother so I'm not sure about limits. The CD aboard will probably know.

You are also allowed $1200 duty free from there as opposed to $600 elsewhere.

Thanks for the info, Mr. Lee. I knew there were special rules for St. Thomas but I didn't know about the cig thing. You can bet we will stock up. 8-)

Stupid question I know...

Bermuda is not considered the Caribbean but can I still get the 5 carton/pp from there??

Cigarettes are probably very expensive in Bermuda, so get them on the ship. It is only in the US Virgin Islands that you can get as many as five cartons per person, not the whole Caribbean.

Thanks for the tip. Our's here in Texas have gone from about $3.25 to about $6.00 per pack in the last few months.

Thanks for the info, Mr. Lee. I knew there were special rules for St. Thomas but I didn't know about the cig thing. You can bet we will stock up. 8-)

I don't know if there is some place cheaper but we usually get them at "Cohen's" in Havensite mall. It's at the very back of the mall (across a road actually) and next to my favorite bar (Shipwreak). :D

I don't know if there is some place cheaper but we usually get them at "Cohen's" in Havensite mall. It's at the very back of the mall (across a road actually) and next to my favorite bar (Shipwreak). :D

Maybe we will run into you at Shipwreck and have a drink. Our excursion gets back like at 1:30 I think so we will have time to do something. We were thinking of going to the big shopping area by the main ship dock. I was there years ago when I was in St. Thomas on a land trip and it was like a giant flea market. I loved it.

noted the location of the shop to my St Thomas file. I love information like that!

We were on the Dawn in June and I bought a two carton pack for $60-$65 for Marlboro Ultra Lights.

Is it possible that since cigs in NYC are $10 a pack, that the Dawn's prices are higher than on other ships when sailing from NYC?

We took advantage of sailing to St Thomas last year and stocked up...on liquor, too!

You can buy more than 1 carton per person, btw, you just have to declare them and pay duty, which is relatively inexpensive. Still worth it.

I am a bit confused, so if anyone could help me I would appreciate it.I would like to purchase some Camel lights on my next cruise.

I am going on a cruise in two weeks, and am going to St. Lucia, St. Johns, St. Maarten, St. Croix and Puerto Rico. Where would the cheapest place to get cigarettes? Can I really get 5 cartons per person? or is it only 1 carton per person? Would have have to pay a tariff when I fly back to Philadelphia? How much is the tariff? Should I be looking for cigarettes manufactured in the USA or not?

Thanks for your help,

Bob

Archived